Wandering lost in the AR wilderness.

This is a discussion on Wandering lost in the AR wilderness. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There's just too much out there. I have a lower and I THOUGHT I had a plan. Now it seems that the wind is blowing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Wandering lost in the AR wilderness.

VIP Member

There's just too much out there. I have a lower and I THOUGHT I had a plan. Now it seems that the wind is blowing me in a different direction and I can't seem to make up my mind.

I was thinking SBR but now I'm thinking 14.5 pinned RECCE. Do I go with BCM again or do I shop around? Do I wait for a sale at PSA and get a super cheap knock around gun and beat it like a rented mule? I just don't know.

I have a good HD AR already. It's a 14.5 pinned BCM with an Aimpoint on top. It's the go to HD gun. (this pic is shown with a different lower on it but you get the gist)

HPIM3465 606x1000.jpg

I also have a M&P 15 flat top that is set up with a scope on it. It's pretty much set up as a plinker right now.

This third AR will be my last for a good while and I just can't make up my mind. I was thinking of making my M&P the knock around gun and getting a nice accurate RECCE upper and switching optics around. Something like this maybe:

BCM 14.5" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group with Midwest Industries T Series Handguard

Any thoughts?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

I'd get a 14.5" Centurion Arms. His cold hammer forged barrels shoot 1 MOA with mk262 but can be run hard like a BCM standard upper. The BCM stainless barrels are great, but they have to be treated a little different.

So, for me, I'd have a 14.5" Centurion set up with a variable powered optic and free float hand guard. I'd use it for general use and semi precision.

Of course the other option is the stainless. In that case is still to Centurion and have him use the MK12 barrel cut down to 16" or maybe 14.5". That will be a serious shooter.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I'd get a 14.5" Centurion Arms. His cold hammer forged barrels shoot 1 MOA with mk262 but can be run hard like a BCM standard upper. The BCM stainless barrels are great, but they have to be treated a little different.

So, for me, I'd have a 14.5" Centurion set up with a variable powered optic and free float hand guard. I'd use it for general use and semi precision.

Of course the other option is the stainless. In that case is still to Centurion and have him use the MK12 barrel cut down to 16" or maybe 14.5". That will be a serious shooter.
    I had really great accuracy out of my 18 inch stainless BCM. I guess I'm kinda leaning back that way but I just can't decide.

Looking at the $$$ involved I've got to be sure of what I want before I buy.

One thing that is nagging at me is that a standard BCM 11.5 SBR (tax stamp included) would actually be less money than many of the RECCEs I'm looking at.

Sheesh, I just can't decide. I'm adrift.

ETA: The 14.5 inch centurion you suggest would be the standard C4 upper with a free float? What Muzzle device would I need installed to avoid the tax stamp? BCM had the A2X and that made it easy for me. What option would I go with on a Centurion?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

I'd get the paperwork for SBR done, you can always add different upper later.

When I read this title, the first thing that came to mind was the movie Deliverance and poor Ned Beatty. Then I opened the thread and found that AR wasn't Arkansas....... What a relief!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaSig View Post
    When I read this title, the first thing that came to mind was the movie Deliverance and poor Ned Beatty. Then I opened the thread and found that AR wasn't Arkansas....... What a relief!
    Ned wasn't packing a rifle with a 30 round mag.
    Mark Twain:

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Ned wasn't packing a rifle with a 30 round mag.
    But he sure wishes he had of been......

Lol, I thought you had gotten lost out in the woods. Glad to hear it is just an AR dilemma.

I like my PSA Mock Dissipator, quite a bit, and I don't even have a 1-4x scope on it.

Really, figure out the role you want the rifle to fill, and that will guide you.

If I was going to do an SBR, it would be in .300 blackout.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    OIC, I was wondering why you were in Arkansas, and how you got lost. I guess you made it out and bought yourself a rifle. Gotcha!

Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Moderator
    I looked at the title and thought...some one lost in the Ozarks and I don't know about it? How could that be?

Anyhow...

I never did get the 14'5 inch thing. It seems to me that if you are going to spend 200 bucks on the tax stamp you might as well go with an 11.5,10.5 or even an 8" blackout and get the benefits of a real sbr.

I'd do the SBR. Its the receiver you are papering, so you could put anything you wanted on it later on. That give you other options. You could always get an shorty upper at a later date.
    atctimmy likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I prefer a 14.5" to everything else for general use. I can feel a difference when maneuvering with it. For some reason, it's more comfortable for me to use in a shoot house or vehicle. While my old 10.5" guns or current 11.5" (or 9" blackout) are great for these roles, I still prefer longer if I can.

If you're set on the hand guard you want, then perm attaching a muzzle device is no big deal. If it's not a suppressor mount or you're like me and prefer not to run brakes, then a BCM A2x flash hider or an A2 with a spacer is cheap and works great. If you feel the need to change the handguard to one that uses a different proprietary barrel nut, then cutting the $20 flash hider is no big deal at all.

16" guns exist because of laws and I've just never warmed up to them.

As for the centurion.... Monty offers a mid weight barrel that is between a lightweight barrel and a standard govt or M4 profile barrel. But, it's a straight taper without the notches. It's considerably more rigid which ids in accuracy. It's very similar to the Noveske N4 profile.

Centurion barrels are known to last more than twice as long as competitors before groups open. It's also regarded as one of the most accurate chf barrels that is still 100% reliable. I'd go with the mid weight 14.5" with the mid length gas system. The 16" barrels are good too obviously.

Centurion C4 rails use the standard barrel nut like the Troy does. So, even with a permanent flash hider, you can install one after the fact. The new Centurion CMR, which I really like, uses a very easy to install proprietary barrel nut. The CMR is extremely rigid, similar to the Geissele.

On that note, it appears BCM is releasing a keymod handguard (or possibly Geissele) as well but I'm not sure of the barrel nut for that one. It looks promising though.

I have the 11.5" BCM you mentioned and it's an awesome rifle. Extremely accurate and reliable. Soft shooter too.
    atctimmy and Phaedrus like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Didn't you just go country?
    Get off that AR kick you have two and get you a good lever action gun. rides well in a scabbard. has a hammer for those read set now shoot situations you run into in the country.

Sorry I still look at the AR as a city gun. I know I am wrong just how I look at them.
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I prefer a 14.5" to everything else for general use. I can feel a difference when maneuvering with it. For some reason, it's more comfortable for me to use in a shoot house or vehicle. While my old 10.5" guns or current 11.5" (or 9" blackout) are great for these roles, I still prefer longer if I can.

If you're set on the hand guard you want, then perm attaching a muzzle device is no big deal. If it's not a suppressor mount or you're like me and prefer not to run brakes, then a BCM A2x flash hider or an A2 with a spacer is cheap and works great. If you feel the need to change the handguard to one that uses a different proprietary barrel nut, then cutting the $20 flash hider is no big deal at all.

16" guns exist because of laws and I've just never warmed up to them.

As for the centurion.... Monty offers a mid weight barrel that is between a lightweight barrel and a standard govt or M4 profile barrel. But, it's a straight taper without the notches. It's considerably more rigid which ids in accuracy. It's very similar to the Noveske N4 profile.

Centurion barrels are known to last more than twice as long as competitors before groups open. It's also regarded as one of the most accurate chf barrels that is still 100% reliable. I'd go with the mid weight 14.5" with the mid length gas system. The 16" barrels are good too obviously.

Centurion C4 rails use the standard barrel nut like the Troy does. So, even with a permanent flash hider, you can install one after the fact. The new Centurion CMR, which I really like, uses a very easy to install proprietary barrel nut. The CMR is extremely rigid, similar to the Geissele.

On that note, it appears BCM is releasing a keymod handguard (or possibly Geissele) as well but I'm not sure of the barrel nut for that one. It looks promising though.

I have the 11.5" BCM you mentioned and it's an awesome rifle. Extremely accurate and reliable. Soft shooter too.
    OK here is what I think I'm gonna do. I'm going to go with the SBR route with this lower.

Then my next project will be re-barreling my M&P with a top shelf barrel. My M&P is pretty accurate but it's over gassed and has a carbine length gas system. I'd like to make it a mid length and free float it. Sooner or later I'll make that into my precision RECCE.

Earlier today I saw PSA had a 10.5 inch CHF upper on sale for $359. I almost put it in the cart but I just wasn't ready to buy yet. $359 is a pretty dang good price, IMO.
    Mark Twain:

Port on those 10.5 PSAs is on the large side IIRC.

Look for an 11.5" from Centurion, BCM, or Noveske. If you're spending the money to SBR it, don't cheap out on the bbl. Jon talked me into going 11.5 instead of 10.3/10.5 and I'm glad I did.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links