Problem with my new AR lower

This is a discussion on Problem with my new AR lower within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I decided to spend my furlough day sighting in my new AR build since I have been putting that off. My new BCM upper receiver ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By Lotus222
  • 1 Post By beni
  • 1 Post By kapnketel

Thread: Problem with my new AR lower

I decided to spend my furlough day sighting in my new AR build since I have been putting that off.

My new BCM upper receiver worked great without any issues.

My PSA lower was another story. Things were going fine until about 20 or 30 rounds into my session when I went to pull the trigger and it would not budge. I unloaded my rifle and started inspecting the gun to see what the issue was. I then noticed that the trigger roll pin had begun to walk out of the lower receiver on the left side of the rifle. I was able to disassemble the rifle and push the pin back in. Another 20-30 rounds later the same thing happened.
    The roll pin holding in the hammer and hammer spring seemed to stay put just fine.

Has anybody had an issue like this before with their AR? As an FYI I assembled the lower myself with a PSA LPK. Is there a certain orientation that the pin should be installed it? The video I referenced said that it didn't matter which side the pin went but didn't say whether the two dimples on the pins themselves had to go in a certain way. If it is not something like that I hope that it is the pins themselves. The roll pin for the trigger is able to go in really easy for me without needing to use a hammer or anything to get it in.

VIP Member
    Roll pin?

On most standard pins there is a little groove in the pin. The hammer spring rests in that groove and keeps it from walking out.

Link to pic

http://www.flickr.com/photos/itstact...n/photostream/

If you look in the pic you will see how the "tail" of the hammer spring rests in a notch on the trigger pin. This is what keeps it in place. Cheers!

Up close of trigger pin...

hammertrigger_pin_1.jpg

The spring will rest in the notch towards the end.
    beni likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Lead Moderator
    Sounds as if the pin or hole are not the correct size. It should not matter which way it is installed. I would contact PSA and try a new pin first.
    Also double Check you installed the springs correct.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Your trigger assembly spring is in upside down. I did the same thing with my PSA build. Fix it, and the spring aligns with the grooves in the pin - and no more walking. ...Also, the hammer will drop harder.
    beni likes this.

Timmy thanks for the pictures they helped me realize that like Lotus said above that I installed the the hammer spring in upside down but on the correct side of the hammer. the trigger roll pin does not push out like it did and the hammer does indeed drop harder. Its funny how there is more than one way to install the hammer spring incorrectly. I was only aware of the way were the spring contacts the wrong side of the hammer. Thanks for the assistance
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    Yay! Now go get some!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Just learned something new. Thanks Timmy!
    atctimmy likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I've seen guns that had the hammer spring in upside down and had light primer strikes resulting in numerous failure to fires
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I've seen guns that had the hammer spring in upside down and had light primer strikes resulting in numerous failure to fires
    Yep. I had one guy bring his gun up to me bragging about how light the pull weight was first thing I looked at was the hammer spring. Sho enuf...upside down.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Links