How many own a M14/M1A?

This is a discussion on How many own a M14/M1A? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Recently purchased a pre-ban (1989) Super Match M1A for $1100.00 from a friend. Always had a strong desire for this platform, couldn't turn the deal ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many own a M14/M1A?

How many own a M14/M1A?

Recently purchased a pre-ban (1989) Super Match M1A for $1100.00 from a friend. Always had a strong desire for this platform, couldn't turn the deal down.
    Short barreled carbines don't have a long enough sight radius for my tired eyes.
    This NM M1A shoots 100m sub 3" groups with SA surplus, less with custom loads. Anyway I purchased new CMI mags from Armalite, and purchased 1200 rds of SA from AimSurplus.

This is to be my SHTF rifle, although I'm considering adding a FAL or CTME as a back-up to the M1A. But the SOCOM or Bush M1A is getting serious consideration.

My question is for those of you that own SOCOMs and Bushs, how is the felt recoil and how quick can you reacquire the sight picture during rapid fire?

>>> Edited by QKShooter - Please remember that we also have female members that read the forum posts. Try not to be crude.
    Pershing SIR!!

2. Remove Ads

It should do a lot better than 3" at 100 yards.

Can't help you on the shorter M1a -- mine is a fullsize. I've got a FAL -- personally I prefer the M1a. YMMV.

M1911, It shoots sub 2" groups with 165 gr. Sierra GameKing loads I purchased from Sooner Reloading, some as tight as 1.5". It's been 30 years since I shot with aperture sights regularly. I ordered a corrective insert from BJones Sights to see if this would sharpen the fronsight image for me. This lot of SA I shoot seems to have different recoil from round to round. The lot was mfg. in 1980.
    Pershing SIR!!

I paid $425.00 for my match M1A,and a 1in 11 barrel, this was back in 1974, dam I still love that weapon.

At various times, I have had two. The first was a Scout, and the second was a standard. The Scout did seem to have more felt recoil, but I may have just imagined it.

Both preformed well for me, but neither was really my cup of tea. I ended up switching to the FAL platform and haven't looked back since.

To be fair, a big part of my issue with them was the cost of magazines. $50 each was about the going rate during the ban years, and is more than I was willing to pay. Pistol grip equipped rifles have always seemed to work out better for me anyway.

BTW I'm in Albany too.

Joker,

Have you ever shot with Alb Rifle & Pistol Club?
    Pershing SIR!!

I have an M1A "Super Match" set up by ROBAR. NP3 interior, ROGARD exterior. Shepherd range finding scope 3x10 (+1,000 rds of 168gr BTHP Federal Gold match ammo in case of shtf) w/ "see thru" mount to use iron sights for closer ranges. I'm definitely thinking of a SOCOM 16 in my future, but they're LOUD from what I've been told. But I like the idea of interchangeable mags and ammo. I like the simpler SOCOM 16 rather than the more gadget HEAVY SOCOM II.

My M1A is set up for reach OUT and "Touch 'Em" so rapid fire isn't really an issue, but I can fire pretty quickly and reacquire the sight picture in a matter of moments...not more than say....3 seconds.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I have a National Match I have not shot the shorter ones but have been around them. if your looking at buying one new from Springfield they don't make the bush anymore now they call it the scout squad. both the scout and the socom have a muzzle break from the factory so the recoil should not be a whole lot different from your super match. they do a pretty good job on keeping you on target for follow up shots and YES they are a lot louder than the 22'' M1A
    911 Government sponsored dial a prayer!

Quote Originally Posted by FrontSight View Post
    Joker,

Have you ever shot with Alb Rifle & Pistol Club?
    I haven't yet.

I was invited out a few months back, but my job at the time didn't allow me much chance to do anything on the weekends.

In fact, aside from a few rounds of function checking one of my FALs at the Sportsmens Club, I haven't fired one of my own guns in about 6 months.

Joker,
    What distances can be shot at the Sportsman's Club?
    Pershing SIR!!

I have a 18" M1A Bush and really enjoy it. I've had several standard length M1A's and sold them all in favor of the Bush.

I have a Smith Enterprise muzzle brake and a globe front sight conversion kit from Alley Supply in Gardnerville,NV. It's a pleasure to shoot and is more accurate than me. The muzzle break really controls the recoil and the globe front sight really helps me with quick target aquisition. (This is my 3 gun heavy metal rifle.)

I bought a few USGI fiberglass stocks from Numrich for about $18 each (as I recall). I built up the comb with bondo, sanded, and painted the stock.

I normally run surplus ammo but recently traded into some Federal 168 gr. Gold Medal match. My rifle really likes the Federal.

Dave

The range out there is 100 yards. You can shoot a little longer than that from behind the line if the range isn't crowded, depending on the RO.

How's the range at the R&P?

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I have the SOCOM II....
    as far as felt recoil is concerned, I would not even consider it a factor as the compensator does it's job well... I would say the difference in the two configurations negligible...
    However, the decibles do go up as the bbl length goes down, if that's any consideration....
    BTW, I use an EOTech 551 A65 for quick targeting and am very pleased with it's performance so far....
    I do recommend a vertical foregrip with this one unless you plan on having some good gloves due to the rail system (if left in place)....
    I'd like to have another MIA National Match one day, need the glutes kicked for ever selling my old one....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    On my list is the M305 (Norcino copy of the M14 they sell new for $399, but used for $600 as the shipments are sporadic. Most people replace the stock. It will make a nice companion to my FAL.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I have 3 a low SN Fed Ord. a NM Springfield, and my shtf weapon my SOCOM16 with an Aimpoint. I have 7 AR's but the SOCOM is what I will grab.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links