I like ARs and I like M1s

This is a discussion on I like ARs and I like M1s within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have 3 ARs (Colt M4 x 2, Bushmaster M4 type) and 3 M1s (.30 Carbine x 2, and SOCOM 16). I can't help myself. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: I like ARs and I like M1s

I have 3 ARs (Colt M4 x 2, Bushmaster M4 type) and 3 M1s (.30 Carbine x 2, and SOCOM 16).

I can't help myself. I like them all including the Tommy Gun with a 100 round drum from 1927. I have too many assault rifles to say I like one better than the other. I learned the M-14 first, then the M-16, then went back into history to pick up the .30 M1s (one full stock and the other folding stock paratrooper) and the Thompson sub machine gun known for the Roaring Twenties with the gangsters. I like them all.

When I HAVE to choose ONE defensive rifle I'm left with the SOCOM 16. It is the easiest to operate and it has the power to quell all my fears whether imagined or real. Keep in mind I learned on the M-14 first!

Yeah, but that SOCOM is O.L.B. ("One Loud Badboy"). Whew, a .308 in a dark hallway without muffs is gonna' be a whopper of a stun grenade. (But so's a 12 gauge)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

It just comes down to basics for me in the case of defense inside the home. Just a basic Infantry Weapon. The shotgun is another choice but not mine.

Yep, it's tough to call-in Close Air Support... indoors.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I'm just a guy taking care of business when under attack just like the infantry have to do. Shoot and kill the attackers trying to shoot and kill you.

Sure, no argument here.
    carracer, atctimmy and mprp like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chessman View Post
    The shotgun indoors has limited patterning. It basically has to be pointed as accurately as a rifle in home range. What if you have the opportunity to shoot the fleeing armed invaders and they get into a car or truck or past 45 yards?
    Then you'd want your SOCOM 16 instead of a scattergun loaded with either bird shot or buck shot.
    If you have the "opportunity" to shoot the fleeing person past 45 yards? Well hell, I think your strategically placed C4 charges ought to take care of any fleeing person out past 45 yards.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Chessman, I believe that the above posts, (all but that sarcastic one from that mprp guy) were just some sound advice to think about in order for you to not get yourself in trouble. That's all.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Id be darned careful with that line of thought. It aint combat. The rules in the civillian world are different.

If they are fleeing, unless still actively shooting at you, and past 45 yards.... you are into some very questionable areas.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; July 25th, 2013 at 11:55 PM.

Sorry for the interruption but I passed over this thread a couple times but every time I saw it, I had an earworm of, "I like Big BUTTS and I cannot lie..."

We'd like an AR but we aren't familiar with the brands. I shot M16 in the military with 22 modifiers (qualifying, not to hit people).

We are S&W lovers but have seen mixed reviews on the M&P ARs.

I had a brother who went to Vietnam. It was 1969. His name was Philip. When I went to High School I saw a memorial for students who died in Vietnam before I got there. I remembered Philip every time I passed that memorial. I went to high school in 1972-1976. I never was drafted to go to Vietnam. I played chess with a Vietnam Vet later in my life who was there in FA (LIGHT) US Army called "6th Flaming Arrows." He retired as LTC way back when. I met him decades after the Vietnam War. Since you are Army (I assume) I will pm you the Army Units I served. I look forward to meeting another Vietnam Veteran.

Most of my favorite guns are from WWII. I had a WWII era handgun for a time. A 38 S&W Webley. It was a real sweetie to shoot. Ammo was real hard to find for it 11 years ago and frightfully expensive. Even so I wish I still had it.

The M1 Carbine, 303 SMLE, the venerable BAR, the Broom Handle Mauser and the MG34 are my favorite WWII guns.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

LTC Quinten Holten, US Army FA (LIGHT) RETIRED, Hereford, AZ. He was my chess companion while I was stationed in Fort Huachuca, AZ. I've been in the Army a long time in AR (HEAVY), IN (LIGHT), FA (LIGHT), MP (TACTICAL), ENG (COMBAT), SIGNAL (TACTICAL), and administrative (HRC-STL) before retirement.
    Perhaps there has been a misinterpretation of the idea of a home defense long arm.
    If a gun is something you need to feel safe at home then use it or forget ever having it in the home.
    The gun is meant to kill and if you balk at it when you've been shot at then dying is easier than taking your place on the line in the home with a long arm.

Quote Originally Posted by HAGJewels View Post
    Sorry for the interruption but I passed over this thread a couple times but every time I saw it, I had an earworm of, "I like Big BUTTS and I cannot lie..."

We'd like an AR but we aren't familiar with the brands. I shot M16 in the military with 22 modifiers (qualifying, not to hit people).

We are S&W lovers but have seen mixed reviews on the M&P ARs.
    INRE AR 15:

ABC: Always buy Colt; or,

Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt.

Colt, Bushmaster, and Armalite have the industry over the other manufacturers. To military standards. Building or buying other things is always a personal freedom worth considering.

In my opinion only Colt, Bushmaster, or Armalite make the best ARs. Armalite makes the AR 10 which was the original design by Stoner.
    HAGJewels likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessman View Post
    I have 3 ARs (Colt M4 x 2, Bushmaster M4 type) and 3 M1s (.30 Carbine x 2, and SOCOM 16).

I can't help myself. I like them all including the Tommy Gun with a 100 round drum from 1927. I have too many assault rifles to say I like one better than the other. I learned the M-14 first, then the M-16, then went back into history to pick up the .30 M1s (one full stock and the other folding stock paratrooper) and the Thompson sub machine gun known for the Roaring Twenties with the gangsters. I like them all.
    Who's side are you going to be on when another AR/M,4,M1,M14 war, thread starts.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links