If this sounds weird I'll blame how late it is

This is a discussion on If this sounds weird I'll blame how late it is within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've heard that some people have / use a 22 caliber rifle as a personal defense rifle. With that in mind I've also heard there ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: If this sounds weird I'll blame how late it is

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

I've heard that some people have / use a 22 caliber rifle as a personal defense rifle. With that in mind I've also heard there are air rifles available that are equivalent to or exceed the 22 rifle. Does anyone here use / consider their air rifle for this purpose?
    For God, Family and Country!

VIP Member
    No.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Had to do a little research. A air rifle shoots a maximum 10 grain projectile at around 750 fps. A .22 rifle shoots a 31 grain projectile at around 1500 fps. I don't think there is really much of a comparison. If you can get a firearm legally, use it.

VIP Member
    Only from marauding tree rats.
    NewtownSam and MasterGadgets like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I don't want to be hit with a frozen pea thrown from across the room. That said, only a fool would rely on a air rifle for self defense if other options were available.
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

Distinguished Member
    I have a pump air rifle which shoots a nasty little pointed projectile. Allegedly it is very good at close range on neighbors cats. Not that I would know anything about that At anything over 30 feet and bigger than a cat, well son, it's time to buck up and buy a weapon Not you literally of course lol, Figure you are pretty loaded up.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

No.

My air guns are the most accurate guns I own, and if you delve into the world of "field target shooting" you will learn that air gun marksmanship is quite challenging, nearly on a par with 1000-yard rifle shooting due to the meager air gun ballistics.

That challenge notwithstanding, unless you're in a position to deliver an eye shot with a magnum-powered air gun from a safe, ensconced position, an airgun will not provide effective defense.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    A buddy of mine has a pretty ticked out air rifle for hunting. I've seen small mammals take good hits from the thing and just run away. Not something I'd count on to stop a person... and I couldn't imagine spending more on an air rifle than he did his.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Not on your Nelly.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

I killed a raccoon with an air rifle once.

It took about ten shots before the damn thing finally died.

I'll leave it at that.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    When I was young (20) I rented the upstaris of an old 2 story house. Downtown. Bad hood. The renter that lived on the first floor told me that a 'friend' that was visting late at night some how "just went crazy" and came at my neighbor with a knife. My neighbor had armed himself with a Daisy CO 2 BB pistol and shot his attacker 3 times in the chest at piont blank range. The attacker grabed his chest let out a scream and ran out into the night. My neighbor guy said the powerlet (CO 2 cartridge) was "about half used up or I would have killed him".

I will always think it was a drug deal gone bad. But whatever the case I thought i was hearing the truth about the attack & shooting.
    Just the way everything went down when it did.

That story never did inspire me to want to use a pellet or BB gun for defence. Sane non druggie folks know better than that!

Didden't trust anyone then always kept the door locked. 38 yrs. later we now live in a low crime area in a great neighborhood.....and the doors stay locked!
    ArmyCop likes this.

Administrator
    The Benjamin Rogue .357 is probably the most powerful large caliber air rifle out there these days.
    phreddy likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The Benjamin Rogue .357 is probably the most powerful large caliber air rifle out there these days.
    If it can indeed deliver 800fps and 250 ft-lb with a six-shot capacity, this might indeed be an effective tool for defense. But at $1300, not what you'd call a typical air gun. Sort of an interesting idea as an end-of-the-world gun, as it can apparently be charged with a hand pump, but as long as gunpowder can be got, it seems niche.

I'm sure people have been killed with plain old .177 pellet guns, but I'd go with that only after I ran out of bricks to throw.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    Not in a gazillion years would I use a .22 for home defense. I know...it's all about shot placement, but c'mon...
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Lest be honest folks, an air rifle can be used as an effective club in many situations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links