Defensive Carry banner

If this sounds weird I'll blame how late it is

3K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  Chessman 
#1 ·
I've heard that some people have / use a 22 caliber rifle as a personal defense rifle. With that in mind I've also heard there are air rifles available that are equivalent to or exceed the 22 rifle. Does anyone here use / consider their air rifle for this purpose?

#5 ·
I don't want to be hit with a frozen pea thrown from across the room. That said, only a fool would rely on a air rifle for self defense if other options were available.

#6 ·
I have a pump air rifle which shoots a nasty little pointed projectile. Allegedly it is very good at close range on neighbors cats. Not that I would know anything about that:rolleyes: At anything over 30 feet and bigger than a cat, well son, it's time to buck up and buy a weapon:wave: Not you literally of course lol, Figure you are pretty loaded up.

#7 ·
No.

My air guns are the most accurate guns I own, and if you delve into the world of "field target shooting" you will learn that air gun marksmanship is quite challenging, nearly on a par with 1000-yard rifle shooting due to the meager air gun ballistics.

That challenge notwithstanding, unless you're in a position to deliver an eye shot with a magnum-powered air gun from a safe, ensconced position, an airgun will not provide effective defense.

#8 ·
A buddy of mine has a pretty ticked out air rifle for hunting. I've seen small mammals take good hits from the thing and just run away. Not something I'd count on to stop a person... and I couldn't imagine spending more on an air rifle than he did his.

#9 ·
Not on your Nelly.

#11 ·
When I was young (20) I rented the upstaris of an old 2 story house. Downtown. Bad hood. The renter that lived on the first floor told me that a 'friend' that was visting late at night some how "just went crazy" and came at my neighbor with a knife. My neighbor had armed himself with a Daisy CO 2 BB pistol and shot his attacker 3 times in the chest at piont blank range. The attacker grabed his chest let out a scream and ran out into the night. My neighbor guy said the powerlet (CO 2 cartridge) was "about half used up or I would have killed him".

I will always think it was a drug deal gone bad. But whatever the case I thought i was hearing the truth about the attack & shooting.
Just the way everything went down when it did.

That story never did inspire me to want to use a pellet or BB gun for defence. Sane non druggie folks know better than that!

Didden't trust anyone then always kept the door locked. 38 yrs. later we now live in a low crime area in a great neighborhood.....and the doors stay locked!

#13 ·
If it can indeed deliver 800fps and 250 ft-lb with a six-shot capacity, this might indeed be an effective tool for defense. But at $1300, not what you'd call a typical air gun. Sort of an interesting idea as an end-of-the-world gun, as it can apparently be charged with a hand pump, but as long as gunpowder can be got, it seems niche.

I'm sure people have been killed with plain old .177 pellet guns, but I'd go with that only after I ran out of bricks to throw.

#14 ·
Not in a gazillion years would I use a .22 for home defense. I know...it's all about shot placement, but c'mon...

#16 ·
There are some air rifles in .22 that can pretty much match the power/velocity of the .22 Short for close to 50 fp.
When you get into the larger caliber air rifles the air rifles actually become more effective.
The PCP .457 LA SAFARI will deliver about 500 fp of energy.
That is decently impressive for a compressed gas powered rifle. :yup:

#17 ·
When I lived in georgia I was on 175 acres an there was about a quarter mile driveway up to the house from the house had wide open view all the way to the road. The 10/22 I had would have been a real pain in the butt for anybody trying to get on the property. For most uses now I prefer my CZ for home defense or 870.

#18 ·
Air rifle, no. Unless you have a Rogue, you pretty much have one shot.

For HD, I use a 686+. However, if I had to rely on a 10/22 with BX-25 mags, I'd be okay with that. Not my first choice, though.

#22 ·
This likely has been posted here before but the air rifle has its place in history too:

It must have been difficult to maintain or it would have taken off and been even more influential.
Or was it the victim of an early conspiracy by the powder-gun makers?

#24 ·
I have hunted prarie dogs with my RWS .177 cal. 1100 fps and a tack driver out to about 100 feet. Home defense use, not so much. I have my 870 and an AR for that.

#25 ·
My avatar is the Theoben Rapid II in .177. I also have the Theoben Rapid II in .25 cal. I also have the Eliminator (Theoben Gas Ram) in .25 and the RAW HM 1000 in .22 with the RAW TM 1000 in .177 and the Falcon Rs in .25 and some others. I learned how to shoot rifles by Springers of all sorts. They will all (above) put a pellet from .177 to .25 caliber inside a human cranium with ease. They all will also put a pellet into the lungs or heart or spine with ease.

An air rifle of any of these posted above have velocities exceeding 800 fps and above to over 1000 fps at the muzzle. They can be considered as lethal as .22 shorts as a rule. And .22 shorts were used in pistols to execute quietly as we know.
I killed a coyote at 30 yards with the Theoben Eliminator in .25 caliber. That was some years ago.

Below is the Rapid Air Weapons TM Benchmaster 1000 in .177:

It will kill a crow at 100 yards with ease.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.