Dpms ar-15

Dpms ar-15

This is a discussion on Dpms ar-15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Let's say, for the sake of argument, I bought a DPMS AR. Bare bones, not even sights, for.... oh... $700 out the door.... Which I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Dpms ar-15

Dpms ar-15

Let's say, for the sake of argument, I bought a DPMS AR. Bare bones, not even sights, for.... oh... $700 out the door.... Which I didn't. But if I did, would I have made a mistake? It'd be for a zombie apocalypse scenario. I was originally looking for an AK because I like the 7.62 more than the 5.56, and because of they're ability to fight when dirty, but I couldn't find an AK for what seemed like a decent price for an AK. I know far more about guns than the average joe (but the true gun enthusiast knows far more than I), but know very little about ARs, otherwise I would have built one. If I end up liking this one, I probably will build a .300 Blackout. All I plan to do are iron sights and a sling. Did I make a mistake?
    Something witty

In my opinion, the only mistake that you made was not buying two.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Yes, it would be a mistake. It's one of the lowest quality AR's available. If I wanted to save money, I'd go with a PSA for around $800.

Please, stay away from DPMS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    wishyouwell and StormRhydr like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member
    gunbuyers.com had DPMS AR-15 for $666. about Nov of 2012. I know because I almost bought one but the price messed with my mind so I didn't.

(I had bought another gun from them and was happy with the service and price)

My point? I think if you wait a while you may be able to get just what you want because it seems the prices are coming down. If you already bought it, then have fun with it and don't worry about what anybody else thinks. You can always find the right place and time for each of your guns.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

I find it hard to believe I can't sell it and make most of my money back. You can buy used Hi points for $200ish, so if it ends up being crap, I don't think I'll take a big hit on it. Hopefully
    Something witty

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Yes, it would be a mistake. It's one of the lowest quality AR's available. If I wanted to save money, I'd go with a PSA for around $800.

Please, stay away from DPMS.

^agree with Jon

For 300 Dollars more than the DPMS you can also buy a PSA that comes with an Aimpoint Pro optic which is a $400 dollar optic.

PSA 16" M4 Premium Patrol Carbine Package

Even though you said you are going to run Irons the deal I posted is a very good deal. And if need be you can sell the optic. Just something for you to consider.
    ccw9mm likes this.

Wow just love the haters of DPMS. They used to have some issues, but have you used one lately. I am the proud owner of a DPMS recon .308 and it is an awesome weapon. When using proper ammo I have not problems

You can love the haters all you want, they are low quality. Their quality control is no good, a ton of lemons make it out their doors, they almost never make it through a class, the materials are considerably lower quality than what is considered the standard and they are over gassed.

That IS NOT OK, I don't care if one 308, which is a different ball game, works for one individual, the majority of the 5.56 guns fail. Plain and simple.

You can buy a PSA for about $800 with considerably better components and receivers that are actually within spec.

I hate garbage, so maybe I am a hater. But I'm a hater because I know what works and what doesn't. Why the hell would anyone take a chance with a cheaply built rifle when they can have real quality for a couple dollars more?

ccw9mm likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Bought a DPMS AP4 a few years ago and have no complaints. My dad and brother also own different models and none of us have ever had any issues with them other than we tend to use up a lot of ammo because they are a blast. Great coyote gun I might add. To each their own of course.

I want to add an AK to the collection but refuse to pay $800 for one. I made the mistake of not buying one the same time I bought my AR when they were around $400.
    Sister likes this.
    Romans 12:21

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiltedcowboy View Post
    Wow just love the haters of DPMS. They used to have some issues, but have you used one lately. I am the proud owner of a DPMS recon .308 and it is an awesome weapon. When using proper ammo I have not problems
    Quote Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
    Bought a DPMS AP4 a few years ago and have no complaints. My dad and brother also own different models and none of us have ever had any issues with them other than we tend to use up a lot of ammo because they are a blast. Great coyote gun I might add. To each their own of course.

I want to add an AK to the collection but refuse to pay $800 for one. I made the mistake of not buying one the same time I bought my AR when they were around $400.

The reality is this, DPMS is at the bottom of the barrel. Like Jon said, their spec sheet is poor and the QC stinks.

Why do I care? I don't care and I don't hate but people come on here every day asking if they make a good product.....they don't.

There ARE companies who make good products at the same price point. The M&P 15 sport usually goes for $600 brand new and is the gun I would recommend for a person on a serious budget. Or if you want a better gun with more features, a fully specced PSA M4gery can be had (on sale) for $750. The quality of the parts and workmanship on both the S&W and PSA ARs far exceed that of any DPMS product. It's not hate, it's just truth. If a DPMS only cost $450 I'd say OK. But at $700+ they cost the same as a PSA and more than a S&W! <---- That is what I hate. Good people paying more and getting an inferior product.

Do your homework BEFORE you buy and you get more gun for less money.

Quote Originally Posted by chief8991 View Post
    I find it hard to believe I can't sell it and make most of my money back. You can buy used Hi points for $200ish, so if it ends up being crap, I don't think I'll take a big hit on it. Hopefully
    Don't worry about it OP. Run it and see if you got lucky. If you didn't get lucky then someone on here will know how to fix it for you.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    I agree with the previous posters.

I'll be getting my first AR in September and i'm going with the optics ready PSA M4. Once you look at all of the quality mil-spec components, their reputation, and the fact they are the same price as a DPMS or Car 15, it becomes the CLEAR choice for an 'entry' level AR.

I'm also going to try to Vortex Strikefire sight... It should do fine for what i need it to. If not i'll buy an Aimpoint.

image.jpgI just sold my dpms ar back in December and I hate I sold it. I bought it bare bone stock like you are talking about doing. I put a sure fire flash light,green dot laser,picatinny four way rail,ecotech red dot scope,forearm grip bigger flash suppressor and foldable sights. Had a good bit of money in it. No interals just accessorys. It shot flawlessly with cheap ammo to the most expensive ammo. It they aren't the best or te worst. But I loved mine sold it like a dumass for 3500 bucks with 17 30 round mags. But my vote is get it and put some accessorys on it. If you don't like it sale it. It will sale no problem trust me. The guy knew about ar's. and knew dpms didn't have the best rep and still bought mine. That's picture with iron sights and a 3x9 scope before the red dot and new sights.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    If a DPMS get's you into the AR world then so be it. You will have fun and then eventually upgrade. That's how it works.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by chief8991 View Post
    What's your time worth?

I don't know about you man, but if I spend $700 on something - it damn well better work. If you're the type that likes to spend almost a grand, then more time and money diagnosing issues - go for it.

If not, buy smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardbird23 View Post
    image.jpgI just sold my dpms ar back in December and I hate I sold it. I bought it bare bone stock like you are talking about doing. I put a sure fire flash light,green dot laser,picatinny four way rail,ecotech red dot scope,forearm grip bigger flash suppressor and foldable sights. Had a good bit of money in it. No interals just accessorys. It shot flawlessly with cheap ammo to the most expensive ammo. It they aren't the best or te worst. But I loved mine sold it like a dumass for 3500 bucks with 17 30 round mags. But my vote is get it and put some accessorys on it. If you don't like it sale it. It will sale no problem trust me. The guy knew about ar's. and knew dpms didn't have the best rep and still bought mine. That's picture with iron sights and a 3x9 scope before the red dot and new sights.
    You made out like a bandit on that. I would've taken the money and run.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    What's your time worth?

I don't know about you man, but if I spend $700 on something - it damn well better work. If you're the type that likes to spend almost a grand, then more time and money diagnosing issues - go for it.

If not, buy smart.

You made out like a bandit on that. I would've taken the money and run.
    Lol I got him alittle but he loved the gun so did I. He sold 10 of the clips when they were sky high for like 1000 or so. So he basically paid 2500 for the gun. So in all he paid me for what I had in to it just about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links