Rem 870 18" synthetic for HD (opinions?)

This is a discussion on Rem 870 18" synthetic for HD (opinions?) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; in my search for a home defence shotgun i noticed this model on Remingtions site... http://www.remington.com/products/fi...tic_18inch.asp i was thinking of the 6-5 rd version.. just ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

in my search for a home defence shotgun i noticed this model on Remingtions site...
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...tic_18inch.asp

i was thinking of the 6-5 rd version.. just seems to me a 18" barrel pump 12ga is just the right size for a HD gun..

anyone have this model? or have anything good/bad to say about it?

I've heard a few LEO's strongly recommend, for reliability and suitability to purpose: the Remington 870 pump or the 11-87 semi-auto; the Benelli M1 or M2 Tactical line with the "inertial" semi-auto system; or the Mossberg 500 series.

I'm partial to semi-auto shotguns, so my choice would be the Rem 11-87, or the Benelli M2/Tac if price were not an issue.

GlockinItup, IIRC, recently purchased a Benelli M2/Tactical.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have an 870 and recently bought the Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader with 18 1/2" barrel and collapsable stock. Has won my heart over my trusty 870, which was not an easy task. Good Luck!!
    "For those who fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know."
    -- Author unknown, found written on an ammo crate at Khe Sanh

I've got that same 870...I personally liked it better than the Mossberg because I like a pistol grip on my shotguns...well...not JUST a pistol grip, but a pistol grip and a stock....anyway, I find the location of the safety better for my applications...both are great guns though depending on your needs and wants!
    here's mine after a few mods...image quality isn't great, but you'll get the idea:

I am an avid 870 fan and have one loaded with #4 Buckshot for home defense. I am keeping my eye out for an 18" barrel for it 'cuz I feel that it would be easier to maneuver in the house. I also want to get a magazine extension and perhaps a pistol grip.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I picked up that model with the 6 round mag a month or so back, and love it. I am thinking of switching to the pistol grip stock.

Check Remington's site they may still be offering $30 back if you buy it before the end of December.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Oh how I love my 870 :D kudos on the great shotgun selection and may you never have to use it in your defense!

The valley of the sun scorched earth(Phx,Az)
    I love my 870. The only problem with the synthetic stock is the light weight enhances the recoil so some shooters might shy away. So I just put a Knoxx SpecOps stock on yesterday and can't wait to try it out. Maybe my GF will be more willing to use it.
    NRA Life Member USCCA Member

Freedoms Precious Metals:Gold, Silver and Lead

"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

Kimber Tactical Pro II w/EE over 2000 rnds NO MALFUNCTIONS

I've been using 870's for about 30 years now. I have fired literally a truckload of ammo in them and don't remember EVER having a malfunction.

Administrator
    870 is hard to beat

well let me ask you guys this.. how hard does a 12ga recoil? i have never in my life fired one.. shot lots of 20ga , 32spl, and 30-30s with no prob (all were older with "real" wood stocks and had some weight to them) but i never had the option to fire a 12ga ( no one i knew had one i could test) i am not a huge guy (5' 10" 157lbs) and if i am going to use a 12ga for home defense i want to be sure i can get a quick follow up shot with it if it is ever needed.. and also that i can stand to use it for removing varmints from the property..

i noticed that on mossbergs site they have a 500 20ga 18 1/2" Persuader for about the same price as the 870 so now the wheels are turning and i am unsure of what i want

Quote Originally Posted by KMBRTAC45 View Post
    I love my 870. So I just put a Knoxx SpecOps stock on yesterday and can't wait to try it out. Maybe my GF will be more willing to use it.
    I put the Spec ops stock on too, it's sweet. My wife is going to shoot it next time we go to the range. I'm going to pick up some low recoil shells for her to try first, she's only 5' and 100#s

I want to change out the bead sight, is there a special tool? I don't want to just tear it up with pliers
    Last edited by JungleJim; November 28th, 2006 at 08:40 PM.

Administrator
    With proper hold/grip, the 12ga recoil is much over rated. I'd say is close to a 30/30.

Lead Moderator
    Personally I like the quality of the Rem 870 over a 500 mossy. Recoil isn't too bad for most 12 ga. unless you are shooting slugs .
    Bead sight removal usually just requires heat, as they are typically soldered on.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'm a lefty, so I like the 500 better. On the other hand, if the 870 was a bad gun, you wouldn't find one in almost every LEO vehicle in the world.
    As for the 12gauge recoil. With good technique, you can shoot it fine. It's not that bad. If it was, you wouldn't find one in almost every LEO vehicle in the world.

Use this in the 12gauge we have loaded behind the gunshop counter:
    http://www.federalpremium.com/default.asp?br=1
    The load is the Premium OO buck Low recoil with "Flite control wad" #PFC154. It shot a pattern the size of a baseball at 60 feet on our range, but feels like a low-brass dove load.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links