Thoughts on Mossberg MVP 5.56 rifle

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Mossberg MVP 5.56 rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking at getting a new rifle, it shoots the rounds as my AR and even uses the same mags(I heard PMags dont work ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Thoughts on Mossberg MVP 5.56 rifle

I am looking at getting a new rifle, it shoots the rounds as my AR and even uses the same mags(I heard PMags dont work very well).
    I want to plink, shoot rabbits, coyotes, and other small game.

Does any one own one, have one in there shop, a friend has one? im looking for your thoughts, likes, dislikes....
    I like that it uses the same mags and rounds as my AR, in the event of SHTF this would be really healpful too.

Mossberg MVP varmint

Impact Guns MVP varmint
    DPMS AR-15
    Mossberg 835 Ulti-MAG
    M&P .40sw
    M&P Shield .40sw

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Mossberg MVP Predator

I own one, and you can look at the thread I started on it where I share my first impressions. The gun has continued to perform well, and has seen a few hundred rounds. The area that most people seem concerned with is the durability of the bolt flap that picks up the next round, since a normal bolt won't work with AR mags. I have stopped worrying about that flap, as it shows no signs of weakness. The gun is not the smoothest bolt action I have used, but works reliably. Best of luck!

Edit: Works reliably with brass. My gun does not like steel cased ammo, doesn't want to extract the casings. I have not tried polishing the chamber yet, but I may.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Thanks for the link, really helped.
    I have heard it doesn't like any 30rd mags or all Pmags. is this the case with yours?
    DPMS AR-15
    Mossberg 835 Ulti-MAG
    M&P .40sw
    M&P Shield .40sw

Any metal mag works fine, and the Pmags work well but require a little more force to seat.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    Any metal mag works fine, and the Pmags work well but require a little more force to seat.
    how much "force" are we talking?
    DPMS AR-15
    Mossberg 835 Ulti-MAG
    M&P .40sw
    M&P Shield .40sw

VIP Member
    If they made a left handed model I'd be on it.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    I purchased one of the rifes like actimmy has with great expectations but it did not work out.

I simply could not get the rifle to group well. I used every version of 5.56/.223 ammo I have from ball to high end match in all the bullet weights but the best I could get was about 2 inches which was not acceptable to my standards.

I took the rifle back to the shop where I got it from and traded for something else and they sent it to Mossberg to look at. Everyone I talked to though says the rifles shoot well maybe mine just slipped through the cracks.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    I purchased one of the rifes like actimmy has with great expectations but it did not work out.

I simply could not get the rifle to group well. I used every version of 5.56/.223 ammo I have from ball to high end match in all the bullet weights but the best I could get was about 2 inches which was not acceptable to my standards.

I took the rifle back to the shop where I got it from and traded for something else and they sent it to Mossberg to look at. Everyone I talked to though says the rifles shoot well maybe mine just slipped through the cracks.
    Bummer.

Are you home from the suck?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

There is nothing the MVP does that a quality AR-15 doesn't do better. I would consider selling your DPMS and putting the money you would have otherwise spent on the MVP towards building a proper AR. You'll end up being much happier in the end.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by synx View Post
    There is nothing the MVP does that a quality AR-15 doesn't do better. I would consider selling your DPMS and putting the money you would have otherwise spent on the MVP towards building a proper AR. You'll end up being much happier in the end.
    Unless, of course, you live in a state that prohibits hunting with a semi auto rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Unless, of course, you live in a state that prohibits hunting with a semi auto rifle.

The OP's state (Utah) doesn't have any regulations prohibiting hunting with an AR-15.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshp689 View Post
    how much "force" are we talking?
    About the same force as when you seat a full magazine with the bolt closed in an AR. You don't have to abuse the mag, you just have to firmly seat it.

Quote Originally Posted by synx View Post
    You could use that logic with any type or brand of firearm. Why get a revolver when you could buy a Glock? Why buy a bolt action .22 when you could buy a Ruger 10/22 exc exc. The MVP is a fun, good looking bolt gun that also happens to use AR mags. Nothing more to it.
    atctimmy likes this.

You could use that logic with any type or brand of firearm. Why get a revolver when you could buy a Glock? Why buy a bolt action .22 when you could buy a Ruger 10/22 exc exc. The MVP is a fun, good looking bolt gun that also happens to use AR mags. Nothing more to it.
    agreed, and that way I can have a dedicated log range rifle(coyotes) and a close range rife(rabbits), with out having to make major changes.
    DPMS AR-15
    Mossberg 835 Ulti-MAG
    M&P .40sw
    M&P Shield .40sw

VIP Member
    Yeppers home and trying to stay for awhile.

Sold some guns, traded others that I did not shoot anymore.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

You could use that logic with any type or brand of firearm. Why get a revolver when you could buy a Glock?
    Because the only option for taking large game with a Glock is 10mm. Big-bore revolvers still have a niche to fill.

Why buy a bolt action .22 when you could buy a Ruger 10/22 exc exc.
    Accuracy. 10/22s don't even come close to the accuracy of a high end bolt action like a CZ 455. With the MVP you actually LOSE accuracy over a high-end AR. They're also heavier, are far more complicated to take down, less reliable, have pretty much zero aftermarket support, and you lose semi-auto.

So PROS = It uses AR mags and it looks nice. CONS = Everything else.

The MVP is a fun, good looking bolt gun that also happens to use AR mags. Nothing more to it.
    It just doesn't serve a purpose. It's a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. If you have a hard-on for bolt action .223s there are far more accurate and more reliable options out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshp689 View Post
    agreed, and that way I can have a dedicated log range rifle(coyotes) and a close range rife(rabbits), with out having to make major changes.
    A quality AR does both of those things without having to make any changes at all, and is the better firearm in every single category.

If you really want a bolt action .223, treat yourself to a Tikka T3. Unlike the MVP, T3s are incredibly accurate and reliable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links