.223 or 5.56mm

This is a discussion on .223 or 5.56mm within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got a new Ruger mini 14 in .223. What is the major differences in the 5.56mm compared to the .223. Is it safe to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: .223 or 5.56mm

.223 or 5.56mm

I got a new Ruger mini 14 in .223. What is the major differences in the 5.56mm compared to the .223.
    Is it safe to shoot both in my ruger m14?
    One day you will be asked to make the ultimate sacrafice for your country, freedom and liberty. Give only blood.

- Retired Army Major in 1976- My Grandpa

2. Remove Ads

No if the barrel says .223 only you CANNOT shoot 5.56 through it. But a 5.56 barrel/chamber will accommodate .223.
    Eagleks likes this.

The Mini-14 TACTICAL will accept either.
    Last edited by IndianaSig; August 4th, 2013 at 03:13 PM.

A .223 will safely shoot .223 ONLY. YOU CAN insert a 5.56 shell into a gun chambered in .223 BUT DONT DO IT, AND CERTAINLY DONT SHOOT IT! It is not safe, and could ruin either your gun, or YOURSELF.

A weapon in 5.56 will shoot either 5.56, or .223.

Theres a bunch that goes into to an explanation, but first and foremost remember what I posted above.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Can one of you Administrators or Mods post a sticky on the issue of chambering .223 verses .556? = I'm sure this has been covered to the detail that covers it.
    maxwell97, stylus and Taurahe like this.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    5.56 NATO is a more powerful round made primarily for military use and if I am not mistaken ( I am not a ballistics expert) a slightly longer round than a .223. Has to do with size and pressure generated by the ammo.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Visit Page 13 of your owner's manual. Ruger could be a little more clear, but they are very specific about using .223 ONLY if yours it the Target version.
    ANGLICO and Kilowatt3 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The answer is found in this article.

The significant difference between the .223 Rem and 5.56 NATO lies in the rifles, rather than the cartridges themselves. Both the .223 and 5.56 rounds will chamber in rifles designed for either cartridge, but the critical component, leade, will be different in each rifle.

The leade is the area of the barrel in front of the chamber prior to where the rifling begins. This is where the loaded bullet is located when a cartridge is chambered. The leade is frequently called the “throat.”

On a .223 Remington spec rifle, the leade will be 0.085”. This is the standard described by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute, Inc. (SAAMI). The leade in a 5.56 NATO spec rifle is 0.162”, or almost double the leade of the .223 rifle.

A shorter leade in a SAAMI spec rifle creates a situation where the bullet in a 5.56 NATO round, when chambered, can contact the rifling prior to being fired. By having contact with the rifling prematurely (at the moment of firing), chamber pressure can be dramatically increased, creating the danger of a ruptured case or other cartridge/gun failure.

The reverse situation, a .223 Rem round in a 5.56 NATO gun, isn’t dangerous. The leade is longer, so a slight loss in velocity and accuracy may be experienced, but there is not a danger of increased pressures and subsequent catastrophic failure.
    atctimmy, Taurahe and maxwell97 like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That^

The cases are dimensionally the same. 5.56 typically uses a longer bullet (thus a longer COL) and is loaded to higher pressures. It's the shorter leade of the .223 barrel design that causes the issue.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    No if the barrel says .223 only you CANNOT shoot 5.56 through it. But a 5.56 barrel/chamber will accommodate .223.
    This is the bottom line of the issue. Check the barrel stamp.

Administrator
    Of Course do your own checking but, if you have a new production Mini 14 the Ruger RANCH is .223 & 5.56 NATO

The Ruger Tactical is .223 & 5.56 NATO

The Ruger TARGET is .223 Only
    Kilowatt3, Thanis and ANGLICO like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    This is true of almost all rifles, but not the Mini-14.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    A .223 will safely shoot .223 ONLY. YOU CAN insert a 5.56 shell into a gun chambered in .223 BUT DONT DO IT, AND CERTAINLY DONT SHOOT IT! It is not safe, and could ruin either your gun, or YOURSELF.

A weapon in 5.56 will shoot either 5.56, or .223.

Theres a bunch that goes into to an explanation, but first and foremost remember what I posted above.
    Again, not so for the Mini-14.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Visit Page 13 of your owner's manual. Ruger could be a little more clear, but they are very specific about using .223 ONLY if yours it the Target version.
    Correct! The Target model is the only Mini-14 with this limitation.

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    This is the bottom line of the issue. Check the barrel stamp.
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Of Course do your own checking but, if you have a new production Mini 14 the Ruger RANCH is .223 & 5.56 NATO

The Ruger Tactical is .223 & 5.56 NATO

The Ruger TARGET is .223 Only
    As Smitty and QKShooter have pointed out, the Mini-14 TARGET model is .223 only. All other .223 Mini-14's are designed for, and will safely accommodate, 5.56mm NATO. Doesn't matter if it's old production or new. Read your manual.
    Thanis and QKShooter like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Thanks for all the info. There is excellent knowledge available on this site.
    Mine is a ranch rifle, .223.
    .223 only
    One day you will be asked to make the ultimate sacrafice for your country, freedom and liberty. Give only blood.

- Retired Army Major in 1976- My Grandpa

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganCCW View Post
    Thanks for all the info. There is excellent knowledge available on this site.
    Mine is a ranch rifle, .223.
    .223 only
    If yours is a .223 Ranch Rifle, it IS NOT .223 only. 5.56 is fine in it. READ YOUR MANUAL.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Kilowatt3 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links