Rifle browsing, pointless or not?

This is a discussion on Rifle browsing, pointless or not? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I was chatting with my local FFL about what he has in stock at the moment. Here are a few he mentioned: Bushmaster C-15 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Rifle browsing, pointless or not?

So I was chatting with my local FFL about what he has in stock at the moment.

Here are a few he mentioned:

Bushmaster C-15 5.56 Carbon Fiber receiver with red-dot scope $ 995
    Bushmaster M4A3 5.56 Steel receiver $1,065
    S&W M&P15 Sport 5.56 $ 895

Apparently these prices are on the high side for the New Jersey market from what I hear, but I'm more interested in thoughts on the actual models if anyone is familiar with them.

Currently, I own a S&W 15-22 plinker and a Stag AR-15 chambered in 5.56, so I'm just craving something new "just because", yet my other brain section tells me "what is the point of another AR?"

i have a Colt AR and an MP15, to me they are identical, parts have been swapped back and forth, both shoot whatever i put in them, and with iron sights i can make a 5-6 inch group at 100 yards with both of them, so they shoot better than me, the colt was 800 in october 12' and the MP15 was 675 march 13'

if it was me in the market for a new rifle i would think about an AR10 or and AK
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Pass on the carbon fiber model.

I think one of the best AR deals for the money is by Palmetto State Armory.

PSA 16" M4 Premium Patrol Carbine Package

Walmarts are selling Colts for good prices. My local walmart has 3 different model colts in stock, and they have just been sitting there.
    MrBear10mm likes this.

VIP Member
    All three of those models are WAY over priced.

The M&P Sport is a decent beginner AR but it is usually priced about $600.

I wouldn't touch a carbon 15 with a ten foot pole.

A Bushmaster with a steel receiver??? ARs are made from aluminum so if he says it's steel then he's telling a fib. A good price for a Bushy M4 is about $650.

I suggest looking very hard at the PSA linked above. It is a good rifle at a great price. It also comes with a $400 Aimpoint Pro.
    MrBear10mm and tmoore912 like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post

Walmarts are selling Colts for good prices. My local walmart has 3 different model colts in stock, and they have just been sitting there.
    That one looks good. My problem is that our state law requires a shipment to my FFL, and then pay the fees associated with that. Walmarts here do not sell anything more than fishing poles. The local gun shops have a very iffy inventory. That is the reason I bought my Stag AR...it was the only 5.56 chambered gun in the store! Not that I don't like it, it is just very heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    All three of those models are WAY over priced.

The M&P Sport is a decent beginner AR but it is usually priced about $600.

I wouldn't touch a carbon 15 with a ten foot pole.

A Bushmaster with a steel receiver??? ARs are made from aluminum so if he says it's steel then he's telling a fib. A good price for a Bushy M4 is about $650.

I suggest looking very hard at the PSA linked above. It is a good rifle at a great price. It also comes with a $400 Aimpoint Pro.
    Yep, bookmarking that link. Thanks for the input. I guess he buys at retail and then marks them up.

EVERYONE who buys online must have the weapon shipped to a FFL holder. It aint no thing. A local pawn shop in town is such a place. They dont sell hardly any weapons, they just charge $25 to transfer, and actually do pretty well on it.

You could have it shipped to that dealer you spoke of, or bypass him, find another. Like I said, the fee is minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by AlDente67 View Post
    That one looks good. My problem is that our state law requires a shipment to my FFL, and then pay the fees associated with that. Walmarts here do not sell anything more than fishing poles. The local gun shops have a very iffy inventory. That is the reason I bought my Stag AR...it was the only 5.56 chambered gun in the store! Not that I don't like it, it is just very heavy.

EVERYONE who buys online must have the weapon shipped to a FFL holder. It aint no thing. A local pawn shop in town is such a place. They dont sell hardly any weapons, they just charge $25 to transfer, and actually do pretty well on it.

You could have it shipped to that dealer you spoke of, or bypass him, find another. Like I said, the fee is minimal.
    Yeah, there are a few options around here. I like the guy, full service one-on-one, but I like looking and handling the choices in real time. Less hassle that way, but more expensive.

The question is though, does it make any sense to buy that Palmetto piece (which is really nice with the optics, now that I look again) just to have another AR? A thousand bucks is a thousand bucks, just to have another toy laying around.

VIP Member
    Yeah, there are a few options around here. I like the guy, full service one-on-one, but I like looking and handling the choices in real time. Less hassle that way, but more expensive.

The question is though, does it make any sense to buy that Palmetto piece (which is really nice with the optics, now that I look again) just to have another AR? A thousand bucks is a thousand bucks, just to have another toy laying around.
    You posted the thread friend. Buy it or don't.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    You posted the thread friend. Buy it or don't.
    I want you to say "do it!" or "don't do it".

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    +1 on passing on the carbon 15! I have the MP-15 Sport and have been VERY happy with it! It shoots great and is very reliable! I do think that the price quoted on the MP-15 Sport is pretty high. Another good choice for your price range is the PSA. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I'd consider another rifle. Even if it's just to try something different. Maybe take a look at the Ruger scout rifle.

PSA does make a great rifle and, if you are patient, they also do some phenomenal sales. Those prices seem high to me but you are also in the Peoples Republic of NJ. If nothing else, I would certainly shop around at a few more shops if you are insistent on doing business locally. I do as much business locally as I can. I will not, however, pay exorbitant prices in the name of budgeting, I'm not a rich man.

Listen to atctimmy, too. You want the most bang for your buck, especially if you are talking about another toy (or investment, as I see them). Take a good look at it, call a few shops and see what their FFL# is, ask about prices and see where it leads you. Pawn shops work as well. I'm not sure what extortion fees NJ all applies, but you shouldn't be paying more than $30 for the transfer.
    Home brewing: Because Jeeps and ammunition aren't cheap.

VIP Member
    I want you to say "do it!" or "don't do it".
    "Do it!"

No really, do it. Next year they may be twice as much and you'll be kicking yourself. Buy low, sell high. That's a great price for an AR and if 5 years from now you thought it was a waste then you sell it for $300 more than you paid for it.

So I was chatting with my local FFL about what he has in stock at the moment.

Here are a few he mentioned:

Bushmaster C-15 5.56 Carbon Fiber receiver with red-dot scope $ 995
    Bushmaster M4A3 5.56 Steel receiver $1,065
    S&W M&P15 Sport 5.56 $ 895

Apparently these prices are on the high side for the New Jersey market from what I hear, but I'm more interested in thoughts on the actual models if anyone is familiar with them.

Currently, I own a S&W 15-22 plinker and a Stag AR-15 chambered in 5.56, so I'm just craving something new "just because", yet my other brain section tells me "what is the point of another AR?"
    Do you have access to another FFL/shop? If so, I'd get there and avoid that dude's mediocre guns at high prices.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links