pre-purchase research

pre-purchase research

This is a discussion on pre-purchase research within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; just picked up a Weatherby Vanguard s-2 in .257, looking at glass for this budget build, thinking seriously about the weaver grand slam 3-10xx40. gotta ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By ZOMBIEvs42
  • 1 Post By warbirds
  • 1 Post By pilot101
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By sawfiler
  • 1 Post By nedrgr21

Thread: pre-purchase research

pre-purchase research

just picked up a Weatherby Vanguard s-2 in .257, looking at glass for this budget build, thinking seriously about the weaver grand slam 3-10xx40. gotta stay in the $200-$300 range for now. will this be enough mag. for this caliber or should i be considering a 3or4 - 12or16 application? (new to long range shooting) also, any insight on this scope? im going for an entry level modern version of a nostalgic set up.
    "You are guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky

welcome to long range shooting, it is the most infuriating and rewarding part of the shooting world i can think of.
    when you say long range shooting typically it is 400 yards and beyond, your going to want to spend as much as your able because unfortunetly with glass, money does equal quality, the weaver grand slam 3-10x40 is a good scope, i havent heard anything bad about it other than mechanical zero and rifle zero are usually really REALLY off, but not that big of a deal. and that (on some of them) when your adjusting your variable the POI can be off as much as an inch past 300 yards.
    make and use a dope sheet religously, dont change brands of ammo after what you find your rifle likes, if you dont reload.

welcome again.
    pilot101 likes this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

257WBY or 257 Roberts? I would buy a higher end scope with lower magnification, than a low end scope with high magnification. Shop used if possible.
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by warbirds View Post
    257WBY or 257 Roberts? I would buy a higher end scope with lower magnification, than a low end scope with high magnification. Shop used if possible.
    .257 weatherby. what venues are viable for used optics?
    warbirds likes this.

after studying ballistic charts, the 257 WBY is nearly flat at 400 yds. not sure I understand the logic behind lower magnification. however with the cost of ammo being what it is for this cal. i understand the importance of not needing to re-sight time and time again. any thoughts on Leupolds in this price range?

I really like Leupolds. Have one Burris that has been a great scope for me.

I'm a big fan of simple 4X or 6X fixed power scopes for the hunting field. Lots of deer have fallen in front of scoped rifles here. Most of those were brought to bag with fixed power 4X or 6X scopes, a few at quite long ranges. Fixed power scopes are apparently not popular any more and it isn't because shooters have become more astute or skillful either. They've only become more gadget conscious. I've actually witnessed a hunter miss an opportunity for a shot on a deer standing broadside at about 200 yards and all because the hunter was too busy dawdling, fiddling with all the adjusting knobs and rings on his tricked-out variable power, adjustable objective, ballistic range compensating, global positioning system, gadget scope with a cloaking devise and an up-to-the-minute top-10 favorite pop song hits app. Well, maybe not the last three scope accessory items mentioned ... but you get the picture.

Disgusting really.
    warbirds likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    In your price range for a target scope that is clear at 400yds and beyond try this. Its been a proven scope on the Sillhoette ranges for years.

Weaver Fine Crosshair Target 24 x 40 mm T-Series Riflescope FREE S&H 849976. Weaver Rifle Scopes.

17,586 scopes listed for sale on Gunbroker right now
    Scopes - Gun Auction - Scopes / Optics at GunBroker.com

VIP Member
    I really like Nikon products. They have excellent glass and are not too pricey.

Hunting scopes are really a good bargain these days. If you stick with a standard 3X9 hunting scope you get a TON of scope for the money. Stay away from "tactical" models and cheap scopes with higher magnification.

Here are some suggestions:

http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm?...eticle%20Matte

Nikon Buckmasters Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm BDC Reticle Matte

Leupold VX-1 Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm Duplex Reticle Matte

Nikon ProStaff Rifle Scope 4-12x 40mm BDC Reticle Matte

Leupold VX-1 Rifle Scope 4-12x 40mm LR Duplex Reticle Matte

Nikon PROSTAFF 5 Rifle Scope 2.5-10x 40mm BDC Reticle Matte

Nikon MONARCH 3 Rifle Scope 2.5-10x 42mm

All of these scopes are good. Some of them are great. The first and last scopes are my two favorite. The Monarch series are so good it's ridiculous. I have owned a version of every scope I posted, though not in all of the same magnifications. I saved the best scope for last and, of course, it's out of your price range. If you can sneak an extra $100 into your budget then go for it. If you can't then any of the other scopes will last you a lifetime of happy shooting.

The price on the 2X8 Monarch listed first is FANTASTIC. I just bought one yesterday, BUT it is also the lowest magnification that I listed. If you are going to stretch the legs of your .257 Wby then a 9 or 10 power might be a little better.

If I were buying you the scope today and spending my own money, I'd get the Leupold VX1 4X12 at $319. It seems to me like it would fit your gun and your budget to a tee.
    pilot101 likes this.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot101 View Post
    .257 weatherby. what venues are viable for used optics?
    Natchez shooters supply usually has a good selection of factory refurbished scopes.

A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

Great round congrats!
    pilot101 likes this.

Also take a look at the Bushnell Elite series - a lot of bang for your buck.

I'll second the quality first, magnification second sentiment. High magnification in a cheap scope just gets you a bigger blur at best, next you lose shooting time at dawn and dusk b/c of the need for more light to id targets, and worst is seeing a buck at 30 yds and not being able to take an ethical shot b/c your reticle looks like an "X" instead of a "+" (flat out scope failure) - unfortunately I've experienced all three at different times.

My first "wow" lesson in optics was when I bought a pair of small binoculars. I saw (I think) a 10x32 and an 8x32 for the same price and same maker. Well, I was thinking that's not a hard choice to make, but luckily the guy behind the counter steered me in the right direction. It was a cloudy day and he told me to take each outside and look through them. I was right - it was an easy choice, the 8x32's b/c of the amount of available light. My second was looking through a Leupold, a Svarski(sp), and something else side by side - that was a real lesson in why people pay so much for good glass. If you're gonna only use it for deer hunting the best probably isn't worth it, but if you're gonna be looking through it for a significant amount of time, the best is definitely worth it.

Another option is to get high end glass from the bargin bins at BassPro/Cabela's and then send it in for warranty repairs - knew a guy who got a Svarovski(sp) at half price that way fully refurbished from the factory.
    atctimmy likes this.

Sponsored Links