New light mount for my AR15- v-tac mount

This is a discussion on New light mount for my AR15- v-tac mount within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My latest modification to get more light for my AR. I was using a streamlight M6 but was looking for more light throw. I picked ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By munch520
  • 2 Post By munch520

Thread: New light mount for my AR15- v-tac mount

Lead Moderator

My latest modification to get more light for my AR. I was using a streamlight M6 but was looking for more light throw. I picked up a streamlight polytac HP but the magpul mount placed the light head in the sight line.
    I picked up a V tac mount and installed it tonight. Works well enough and places the light head clear of the front sight tower. Will see how well the polytac takes recoil , although it seemed fine before with a different mount.
    Attached Images
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

That light looks like it could fry a cat naked at a hundred yards!

I need a light for the 'house' AR, which is equipped with the standard handguard - no rails. Any suggestions for a non-rail mount that's not a piece of die-cast junk?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I need a light for the 'house' AR, which is equipped with the standard handguard - no rails. Any suggestions for a non-rail mount that's not a piece of die-cast junk?
    Good stuff - they also make a number of other attachments or the GI/MOE handguards, like sling loop/QD attachments.
    Impact Weapons Components
    Impact Weapons Components

Not my pic

If you have a FSP, I've used these with good results.
    Midwest Industries: Tactical Light Mounts
    sparkykb and gasmitty like this.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Lead Moderator
    Elzetta makes some good mounts / lights that mount under the barrel on the front sight. ZFH1500 Tactical Flashlight Mount Light Holder
    Tons of options, I mounted a second AR with scope ring holding a surefire G2 and a cheap mako poly rail mount directly to the m4 hand guard.
    I went with the the v tac option because it (hopefully and did) position the light close to the front sight base and offer less snagging while walking through dense foliage.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Lead Moderator
    Forgot about the IWC mount, good call Munch520.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I agree with munch520. The Impact Weapons Components attachments are top notch and perform very well.

When I had a Middy with a FSB and Magpul handguard I used the Mount-n-Slot for my Surefire Fury momentary on/off model.

Now that I have a railed Middy with no FSB, I prefer the Surefire x300u mounted at 12:00 with my flip up sight right behind it. Easy to actuate the momentary on/off feature while shooting from either side.

Another rifle/shotgun WML that is getting a lot of attention is the Inforce WML. It has nice ergonomics, momentary on/off and slim profile.

GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post

Not my pic

That looks like exactly what my father in law needs....I'll have to pass that along.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Elzetta makes some good mounts / lights that mount under the barrel on the front sight. ZFH1500 Tactical Flashlight Mount Light Holder
    Tons of options, I mounted a second AR with scope ring holding a surefire G2 and a cheap mako poly rail mount directly to the m4 hand guard.
    I went with the the v tac option because it (hopefully and did) position the light close to the front sight base and offer less snagging while walking through dense foliage.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Forgot about the IWC mount, good call Munch520.
    Thank you - I've never tried the Elzetta. Mainly because I prefer to have my light as close to 12 o'clock as I can. The Elzetta mount looks like it puts the WML at 6 o'clock..easy to get obscured when shooting from behind cover/concealment. Same can happen with lights at 3 and 9, but that is alleviated easily by rotating the gun a bit to port or starboard.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkykb View Post
    That looks like exactly what my father in law needs....I'll have to pass that along.
    Both the IWC and the Midwest Industries FSB mounts are simple and easy solutions.

IIRC, Mossie Tactics also makes a FSB mount: Mossie Tactics LLC

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

I added a quad-rail to my AR so it is ready to dress up. Just added a vertical folding grip. not sure if I want to add a light or a laser next. Gee, that thing is going to front heavy when I get through. I wonder if it will have room for bullets?

I'd go for a light without a doubt. A laser can't help you ID what you're shooting at (or shouldn't be shooting at).
    tmoore912 and sammage like this.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    GG&G makes a couple of front sight base rail mounts for use with standard hand guards. They a dual rail version and single rail version that has a sling swivel on the other side.

Flashlight Mounts | Tactical Light Mount | Dual Rail Light Mount

SLiC Thing: Sling & Tactical Gun / Weapon Flashlight Combo Mount for AR 15
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Administrator
    I've been using that same set up for over a year now on my patrol rifle. I have no complaints.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sponsored Links