Short Mossy?

This is a discussion on Short Mossy? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone in here have experience with these short Mossy's that aren't NFA? Read the PDF's on law and parts. Apparently it has to start with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Short Mossy?

Short Mossy?

Anyone in here have experience with these short Mossy's that aren't NFA?

Read the PDF's on law and parts. Apparently it has to start with a pistol grip only Mossy (ie never had a stock to begin with).

Tempted to do one for a short shottie.

2. Remove Ads

...I'd have to see proof(i.e. an ATF opinion letter)that they aren't NFA...the 14" bbl is 4" too short not to be...
    atctimmy likes this.

Feeling same way...

If I go down this road I would start with a 18.5 pistol grip only Mossy 5 shot and inquire with ATF for my own letter.

Link is site that sells grip and has the article.

shockwavetechnologies.com » The 14? Mossberg 500 That ISN?T NFA!

...thanks for the cite...I'm going to check into it, too...looking towards a 20

...having your own letter from ATF sure would be good insurance!!!

VIP Member
    I think you may be getting mixed signals between an SBS, short barreled shotgun and an AOW, any other weapon.

For an SBS the barrel length is under 18 inches and the tax is $200.

For the AOW the gun starts with a pistol grip, barrels are as short as 7 inches and the tax is $5.00. This title also cover pen guns, cane guns and so on.

I can buy a pistol grip shotgun, file the paperwork and have the barrel cut and it cost me $5.00. If I do the same with a shotgun with a standard stock the tax is $200.

That is my understanding of it anyways.
    Pyzik likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

...either of those paths would be an NFA weapon...by calling it a pistol...they seem to be getting around it...I'm a long way from convinced but I am intrigued...been looking at the Serbu Shorty...like this style a lot better...

No idea about the laws regarding ownership, but I have fires something siliar at the local range. A range attendee had a legally owned SBS with a 15 inch or so barrel and a similar grip, except his was more hooked in a fashion similar to that of flintlock pistols back in the day.... it looked cool but funtionality was not its strong point IMO. The grip left much to be desired in terms of weapon control...especially when firing a 3" shell out of such a short barrel. He also had a 4 position colapsoible stock with pistol grip, that when collapsed gave great support when hip firing and still allowed for a compact weapon..... his barrel was properly modified to fire a tight group of buckshot at 10-15 yds, and it was a hoot to play with...
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Been doing searches and reading about it on other forums. Seems like everyone has their own opinion. Some sound valid and others are strange. Will have to inquire and get a letter myself before any 14" barrel and assembly purchases.

Have a Defender 1300 and a couple S12's already. Would like something small and mean.

I just bought a Maverick 88. If I could get a good, solid word on the legalities and necessary procedure to cutting it down way short, Id probably do it. Try to create something like the Serbu Super Shorty. Already has a pistol grip, but has a 28" barrel. Id really like something with a 4 shot tube and a pistol grip. Total length around 18" or shorter would be great if possible.

Might swing by the Sheriff's office one day and ask some questions about how to do it legally.
    Superhouse 15 likes this.

...good to be sure...them boys don't play...

...I saw a Defender this morning and liked it...already have three short 1200s, two 12s and a 20...something about them Winchester shottys...also saw a 140 semiauto 20...that'd be bad cut to 18 1/2...even Mama could handle that one...
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Been doing searches and reading about it on other forums. Seems like everyone has their own opinion. Some sound valid and others are strange. Will have to inquire and get a letter myself before any 14" barrel and assembly purchases.

Have a Defender 1300 and a couple S12's already. Would like something small and mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    I just bought a Maverick 88. If I could get a good, solid word on the legalities and necessary procedure to cutting it down way short, Id probably do it. Try to create something like the Serbu Super Shorty. Already has a pistol grip, but has a 28" barrel. Id really like something with a 4 shot tube and a pistol grip. Total length around 18" or shorter would be great if possible.

Might swing by the Sheriff's office one day and ask some questions about how to do it legally.
    ...all the sheriff can give you is bad advice...when dealing with Federal gun laws, go to the ATF...I've never found them other than easy to deal with and glad to help...in spite of all the bad press they earn...the local agents have been great...

Think Ruby Ridge.....your shotgun must have a bbl 18" or more, with overall length not less than 26 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by sanfordreed View Post
    Think Ruby Ridge.....your shotgun must have a bbl 18" or more, with overall length not less than 26 inches.
    Thats only if its not an "Any Other Weapon" classification.

VIP Member
    Either way SBS or AOW they have to be registered and manufactured a certain way you can't simply cut and chop.
    Pyzik likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

...you're right...it's more like a game of "Mother, may I???" with real money...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links