Pick a single long gun each for me and my wife

This is a discussion on Pick a single long gun each for me and my wife within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Right now I have only one firearm in the house, a full size 9mm handgun. It lives in a fast-opening safe on my nightstand. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Pick a single long gun each for me and my wife

Pick a single long gun each for me and my wife

Right now I have only one firearm in the house, a full size 9mm handgun. It lives in a fast-opening safe on my nightstand.
    I will pick up a carry gun, also 9mm in the next couple of weeks. My wife will also pick up a nightstand gun in the near future. She can pick whatever she wants, but I'll bet that will be 9mm, too.

I would like for us to each have a long gun in the house for defensive purposes. Each would be stored in a quick-opening safe of some sort. We have no real experience with rifles or shotguns, and would take a couple of classes to learn our chosen weapon, and take them to the range every couple of months.

That being said, what suggestions would you have for a gun for each of us?

My thoughts were either:
    1) 12ga pump or semi-auto for me and AR-15 for my wife, so we could each have a different, but highly functional weapon.
    2) 9mm carbines for each of us, since we'll have 9mm ammo at home anyway
    3) Some combination of the above

Is there a big advantage for two of the same, or would we maximize utility by picking two different weapons?

For the sake of this argument, let's assume I could spend a fair bit of money, so nice ARs, Benelli shotguns, etc are in play.

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

sure, those are good ideas
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Ruger mini 14
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

I prefer:

0 to 10 yards - 12 gauge with #1 buckshot
    10 yards to 100 yards - AR-15 5.56X45mm
    100 yards to 500 yards - AR-10 7.72X51mm
    >500 yards - call in air strikes.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

...20 ga semiauto or pump for her (youth model) and Ruger mini-14 for you...
    Taurahe likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Do you live in a dense crowded neighborhood, or are you out in the sticks, or something in between?

From what material is your home built?
    oneshot, OD* and AnthonyC like this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

I live in suburban neighborhood. Single family homes, but close together. I don't know much about building materials, but I bet my walls won't stop much.

MJK
    Benelli M4 for you, AK-47 for your wife...or is it the other way around?
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    I would recommend a shotgun or 9mm carbine or a combination for you both.

You don't need or want any collateral damage from the aftermath of a home invasion or robbery. It will be bad enough that you shot up your own home without having to worry about the neighbors homes or even their lives.

Get training like you stated, keep them close.
    maxwell97 likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    If I were choosing a long gun strictly for home defence Id go with the shotgun. But with the thought of it also being a range gun Why not a AR in 9mm? A 30 carbine? Or both a shotgun and a carbine length rifle. With both you open the posibility of a three gun match. They are a lot of fun and will tie right in to your training. DR

I like 12 gauge myself but I've been using them either issued or personal since 1973. However one Range masters class opening comes to mind. "The 12 gauge shotgun is so simple it is an ideal weapon for little children and police officers."
    NONAME762 likes this.

I like the idea of a short-barreled pump shotgun as part of the home defense battery - at defensive ranges, it's very versatile, and the reduced recoil buckshot loads available will make the gun manageable even in your wife's hands.

Where you go from there is up for grabs, but a rifle is definitely the direction I'd go. Your idea of a 9mm carbine has merit; I'd be more inclined toward more power but still in a compact gun, like an M-1 Carbine or possibly an AR.
    bmcgilvray and BigJon10125 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Unless you're on a ranch or larger property where a rifle would definitely make sense, IMO the shotgun approach would be most suitable for a long gun to add to the "home defense" stable. Easy to use, effective, devastating at closer ranges, available in 12ga or 20ga and different sizes to accommodate different shooters.

If Benelli's on the table, then definitely consider one of their semi-auto 12ga 18in flavors.

Remington, Mossberg and Winchester all make fairly effective semi-auto 12ga and 20ga shotguns as well, in addition to pumps. The "old standby" of the Remington 870 12ga or Mossberg 590 is hard to beat, for a pump-action shotgun.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...20 ga semiauto or pump for her (youth model) and Ruger mini-14 for you...

^^^Reverse this^^^^^^^^^^

Unless she is bigger than you.
    Also like the idea of the 9mm carbines, for close neighborly walls, but not limited to only that cal.

Unless of course you intend to hunt with said long gun, then go with a shotttie or rifle.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Also like the idea of the 9mm carbines, for close neighborly walls, but not limited to only that cal.
    There's just gotta be a way to make, say, a 9mm carbine that doesn't weigh as much as a railroad tie.

Loved the Ruger PC9 I had for a time, but it was a brutally heavy beast by comparison to any lever-action around. Astoundingly accurate, could support the large-capacity Ruger factory mags ... but weighed a ton. IMO, not being a firearms engineer of course, if a lever-action can be made that'll weigh not much over 5lbs then there's no legitimate reason a less-powerful pistol cartridge couldn't be placed in a similar ~5-6lb package, semi-auto and all. Hm. Perhaps Ruger and Kel-Tec can get together, on the concept. Dead-nuts reliability, strength, capacity, light weight.
    Consultick likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links