Talk to me about the Ruger SR556

This is a discussion on Talk to me about the Ruger SR556 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I came about this rifle via a series of trades and I was wondering do I have a hobby grade rifle on steroids here ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Talk to me about the Ruger SR556

Talk to me about the Ruger SR556

So I came about this rifle via a series of trades and I was wondering do I have a hobby grade rifle on steroids here and I should I continue trading, or do I have a legit fighting rifle?

IMG_20130810_045244.jpg

This rifle came to me with an appearent round count of only 200 to 300 rounds put through it. I had my friendly local gun store give it a look over and got the thumbs up from them. It had not been cleaned since last shot so I had to do some scrubbing to get the carbon off the piston components, but the bolt practically wiped clean with a rag... That was kinda cool I have to admit.

I did some reading about how rugger solved the carrier tilt issue... They designed the bolt carrier so that instead of being cylindrical, it has widened and rounded off lobes on either end to center it as it moves into the buffer tube. I checked for buffer tube wear and there was only one spot where it looked like the finish was worn off but only just, the gun shop assured me this was normal and this was not any concern. Second opinions are welcome here.

IMG_20130810_051642.jpg
    IMG_20130810_051835.jpg

This rifle is legitimately about a pound heavier than a similar di rifle and the flash hider is permanently attached.

What do you guys think?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Sounds like you got a nice rifle! Now YOU need to break it in and put some rounds downrange! Next we expect a range report! Enjoy!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Learn to clean an AR correctly, before you damage it. If you shooting good ammo no need to clean the barrel after every range day. about every 500 rounds.
    Use CLP it is outstanding for the AR.
    Good deal depends on what you gave up for it and if you are happy. Ruger does not make any junk never has.
    DI AR's like a wet bolt when firing. If it does not have the heavy buffer you may want to pick one up down the road, no big deal but if you want to shoot some of the off brand ammo it makes the weapon fire fine with the cheap stuff.
    Hard to tell from the pictures but it had more than a couple hundred rounds fired, but that is no big deal

VIP Member
    Ruger made a pretty good product. Their biggest problem is their weight and the fact that Ruger priced themselves out of competition. If it wasn't for their $1700ish price tag they would sell a lot more of them.
    DetChris likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quick update... I looked up the serial number and found it was manufactured in late 2010 so the round count of 200 to 300 rounds is suspect... The bore is bright and crisp and if this is all the wear caused by the carrier tilting in almost three years then I think carrier tilt will not be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Learn to clean an AR correctly, before you damage it. If you shooting good ammo no need to clean the barrel after every range day. about every 500 rounds.
    Good deal depends on what you gave up for it and if you are happy. Ruger does not make any junk never has.
    DI AR's like a wet bolt when firing. If it does not have the heavy buffer you may want to pick one up down the road, no big deal but if you want to shoot some of the off brand ammo it makes the weapon fire fine with the cheap stuff.
    Hard to tell from the pictures but it had more than a couple hundred rounds fired, but that is no big deal
    I know how to clean an ar, thank you...
    Brad426 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glocknjeep View Post
    I know how to clean an ar, thank you...
    And get a haircut, hippy.
    WHEC724 and DetChris like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I think maybe some are confusing my post count with lifetime round count but hey I asked for opinions... I'm just getting them on more subjects .
    Brad426 likes this.

I've been thinking of jumping into a piston AR, but not at these prices! I'll wait, thank you.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

...I'm intrigued as to how one would damage an AR by cleaning it wrong...in the Corps they taught us a few things, then told us it was a court martial offense to take it in the shower with us...but that was the best way to clean it...I think they gave us LPS 3 to lube with...that's all I've ever learned about it...mine passed inspection with no problem, but it smelled like shampoo...
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    DetChris likes this.

I happen to come by this one for a very reasonable actual cost. I love armslist and Texas gun trader.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Ruger made a pretty good product. Their biggest problem is their weight and the fact that Ruger priced themselves out of competition. If it wasn't for their $1700ish price tag they would sell a lot more of them.
    Agreed. They do come with branded Troy sights but that's not worth the premium. I've seen them with unstaked castle nuts, looks like OPs isn't either. But that's an easy fix. Also, why isn't the firing pin shrouded?!

They're front-heavy as hell. I wish Ruger would ship them with an EMOD or something to balance it out (the ones I've seen have shipped with CAR stocks).
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Quote Originally Posted by glocknjeep View Post
    So I came about this rifle via a series of trades and I was wondering do I have a hobby grade rifle on steroids here and I should I continue trading, or do I have a legit fighting rifle?
    Just curious, but are you taking it to war, or is this a range only weapon? Maybe a "things that go bump in the night" gun?

Asking because I see a lot of posts where people are going for the absolute best AR they can find, but most aren't professional operators or competition shooters.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    Just curious, but are you taking it to war, or is this a range only weapon? Maybe a "things that go bump in the night" gun?

Asking because I see a lot of posts where people are going for the absolute best AR they can find, but most aren't professional operators or competition shooters.
    I shoot idpa more and more and it could make it to a carbine match, otherwise... Home defense, shtf, range, etc. I am a bit anal about the quality of my weapons though.

Definitely not an operator or professional.
    Snub44 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    Agreed. They do come with branded Troy sights but that's not worth the premium. I've seen them with unstaked castle nuts, looks like OPs isn't either. But that's an easy fix. Also, why isn't the firing pin shrouded?!

They're front-heavy as hell. I wish Ruger would ship them with an EMOD or something to balance it out (the ones I've seen have shipped with CAR stocks).
    Shrouded firing pin, mind explaining? Weight is not to bad IMHO. As for the castle nut unstaked is no big deal, I'll notice it if it loosens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links