Ruger Mini 14, Anybody Ever Own One? Worth Having?

This is a discussion on Ruger Mini 14, Anybody Ever Own One? Worth Having? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This gun has caught my eye lately. Any opinions on quality,accuracy,etc.?...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: Ruger Mini 14, Anybody Ever Own One? Worth Having?

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

This gun has caught my eye lately. Any opinions on quality,accuracy,etc.?
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Great gun very accurate just keep it clean your good togo
    mr.stuart likes this.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I like the model with the wooden stock.Is that the ranch model?
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Well designed rifles. Not really thrilled with their magazines, they have this little notch thing that can be tricky. Even taking that into consideration they are fantastic guns and worthy of your collection.
    mr.stuart likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Nice looking gun, I'd want one.
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

I was issued one in the 80s as a state trooper. Decent shooter, but less range than an AR + smaller mags & heavier.

I had a wood with SS and 6-8 20 round mag. A good patrol carbine.
    mr.stuart, ANGLICO, MJ54 and 1 others like this.

Just picked up my brand new Mini 30 (same frame but chambered in 7.62x39). I LOVE it! I haven't had time to play with it much yet. Took it to the range after a thorough cleaning and did about 60 rounds through it to test function. Can't wait until next week to really get it going. The gun is solid and works flawlessly. I ran both brass and cheapo steel case through it. Only had one fail to feed, but I'm attributing that to the new mag and not the ammo. Can't say enough how well built and easy to operate the Mini platform is.... Grab one and let the fun begin!

Yeah, I use Tapatalk... So what?
    tdave, RichB70 and passtime like this.

I had the mini 14 as a duty weapon for years. When I bought my own I got the Mini Thirty. You can't go wrong with either one.
    bmcgilvray, ctr and ANGLICO like this.

I also have a mini-14. ahhhh or two. One in blue carbon, and one in stainless. I swear by them. I use the 20 rnd magazines. 10 years now and so far no problem.
    passtime likes this.

The newer ones as of a couple of years ago are supposedly a lot more accurate than the older ones. Based on mediocre accuracy alone I never was much interested in the Mini 14/30, but the improved models have heightened my interest a bit. I think I'd be inclined toward the 30 cal.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Administrator
    Ruger. All new fancy dandy Million dollar CNC machinery and tooling just for the newer Mini 14s -

Just FYI
    mr.stuart, Eric357 and AnthonyC like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I've only ever had any experience with a single example of the Mini-14 and it was awful, horrible, terrible, and bad. Belonged to a close shooting acquaintance. Of course this would have been sometime prior to 1984 when he moved. This was a plain-jain .223 manufactured in 1976, having the "200th year of American liberty" marking. The gun couldn't seem to manage better than 4-inch groups at 100 yards from a bench rest. No matter what special effort was made. No matter what load was tried. We really tried working with the rifle in order to make it shoot but to no avail.

Despite the bad accuracy experience of the single example, the rifle looks like it has a lot going for it. They apparently don't all bedevil their owners with accuracy problems as gobs of them have been sold over the years. I like the wood stock versions. Love the fact that it comes in .223 and 7.62X39. Has about the same application as the M1 Carbine and is near as compact too. Ruger supposedly took some pains to improve the accuracy capabilities of the Mini-14 some years back. The 7.62X39 Mini-14 is especially intriguing to me.
    Eric357 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

We use them at work. Very nice rifles. We qualify at 100 yards with the iron sights and the thing is damn accurate.

...me, too, on the SS MiniThirty...might just replace my .30-.30 as my SD rifle...plenty accurate at SD ranges and reliable...price of ammo's going to be the choice-maker between that and another Mini in SS...

Administrator
    I think the newer ones with the improved barrels are averaging 2 MOA which is OK for a SHTF "Git Offa My Land!" rifle.
    Of course they are more expensive than they used to be also.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links