New AR

New AR

This is a discussion on New AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi Looking for my first AR. I'm having a hard time finding a colt, Daniel defense or bcm at my local gun shops. I do ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: New AR

New AR

Hi

Looking for my first AR. I'm having a hard time finding a colt, Daniel defense or bcm at my local gun shops.

I do see plenty of bushmaster, stag, and rock river. Of these three names, which is the best? I'll be using it for target shooting and home defense. I know these three names aren't top tier ar's, but are they going to fall apart during a two day carbine class? I'm a novice, but am I going to have to buy another one in a few years?

I was holding a Stag left handed model which was appealing since I'm left handed. The price was 1100. Is this in the ballpark of a fair price>

thanks

Don't settle for what they have in stock. Get what you want. Colt, BCM, DD...all good choices. An AR is a big investment and worth being picky about.

Sparky's got the right approach. Considering the investment, don't be in too big a rush to settle.

Personal opinion only, but I think $1100 for a Stag of any flavor is outrageous.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Yes, take your time, a colt is worth the wait. likewise for bcm, dd. no hurry were not at war YET. lol.

I wouldnt pay $1100 for any of those three when you can wait and pay the same for a higher quality gun. If you were seeing one of the others in the 600-800 range it would be more of a question of what you want and are looking for.

Local walmarts in middle TN have 3 models of colt ARs in stock. And they have been sitting in the display case (and in the back arms room), for a good month and a half. Im sure they have sold some, but they are restocked immediately.

I had no idea Rock River isn't a top tier gun. Next time I am shooting easter eggs at 500 yards I will keep that in mind.

Hold a dime in your hand for reference. That's inside of 1/3 MOA shooting from an out of the box Rock River and the truth is, I'm not much of a marksman with a rifle.
    Jaeger likes this.

Just repeating what I read, as I don't know much at all about AR's, but the advice I keep seeing is that PSA or the S&W M&P Sport are the best low-price options, and are pretty available.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

$1100 or a slight bit more and you can do better....like the Colt, BCM, or DD.

Out of the three Daniel Defense is my favorite for fit, finish and included features. BCM is similar and Colt is an iconic and proven rifle. I just got turned on to a new shop here called Dam Road Gun shop. I know for a fact today they had DD's in stock. You could have them ship to a local FFL for a nominal fee that you might want to consider.

www.damroadgunshop.net/

If your looking for a lower priced setup that is of good quality and good features, consider a PSA at minimum IMO. Happy Hunting!
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

I'm also left handed and see no need for a left handed AR. Being able to check the chamber without tilting the rifle is nice, I wouldn't want the casings ejected from the other side. Ambidextrous parts on the other hand make an amazing improvement. Both my 6920's and 15/22 have BAD safety selectors, Norgon mag releases and Raptor/ambi charging handles.
    A little pricey but being able to manipulate the rifle as the designer originally intended is worth the money to me.

Taking a carbine class is a great idea.

I won't tell you what brand of AR to buy, but I can advise you what not to buy.

Stag
    Olympic Arms
    Bushmaster
    PSA
    DPMS
    S&W
    Del-Ton
    Mossberg
    Core 15
    Sig
    RRA

You'll have a hard time finding anything quality right now. Save your money IMO. Which is best of the three? Depends on whom you listen to actually. Then there's the lean manufacturing to wrap your head around. Truth is....nothing is great anymore. What's on the market is all you're left with, and can't be picky. IMO......you should have been in the boat ten years ago and you'd be more than happy with what you'd have had now. The quality ordeal for an AR15 has always kinda centered around true Colt manufacture. These days with polymer lowers and cheap uppers......build kits.....etc. Whatever is acceptable to you.

Quote Originally Posted by synx View Post
    I won't tell you what brand of AR to buy, but I can advise you what not to buy.

Stag
    Olympic Arms
    Bushmaster
    PSA
    DPMS
    S&W
    Del-Ton
    Mossberg
    Core 15
    Sig
    RRA
    Synx, based on what, exactly?

OP, don't settle for what's in the store. There are LOTS of options out there and for what you can save online, the FFL transfer fee will disappear into nothingness.

Posts like the above with zero substantiation are the result of a lot of confusion online. I see at least 2 manufacturers on that list which would be considered GTG by 100% of people who know ARs.

Take your time, read up, and find something online that you actually want.

Keep in mind that you can buy a completed lower (has to be shipped to and transferred through an FFL) a completed upper which can be shipped straight to your house, and put them together in literally seconds.

Some things to keep in mind:

A lower is a lower is a lower. It basically comes down to what you want on the side of it. There are lots of completed ones here:

ARPartsFinder.com - Find AR15 Complete Lowers in stock and compare prices.

And info about them here:

AR Lower Receiver FAQ (56k beware) MMS, CMT, LAR, LMT compared... - AR15.COM

Uppers, not so much. Study, decide on a length, style, gas system, and buy one here:

ARPartsFinder.com - Find AR15 Semi or Complete Uppers in stock and compare prices.

There are a million options out there, and there's nothing wrong with a frankengun. Build what YOU want.
    Eric357 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZacMan1987 View Post
    Synx, based on what, exactly?.

The frankly ridiculous amount of research I did when buying my ARs and, and still do on a regular basis to guide those who consult with me on firearms purchases.

In the end, it's still my opinion and the best advice I can give someone is to do the research themselves. For those who are unable or unwilling to put in that kind of time, the list I provided is a very good basic outline of what to avoid if you want to build a high end fighting rifle. If all you want is a range toy and quality isn't an issue, then disregard that list and buy whatever is cheapest. They'll all (mostly) go bang when you pull the trigger.

There are plenty of happy owners of low-end ARs, and listing their manufacturer of choice on a 'Do Not Buy' list is sure to ruffle some feathers, but on that same token there's also lots of happy Kel Tec, Taurus, and Hi Point owners out there; so make of that what you will.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone2015 View Post
    Hi

Looking for my first AR. I'm having a hard time finding a colt, Daniel defense or bcm at my local gun shops.

I do see plenty of bushmaster, stag, and rock river. Of these three names, which is the best? I'll be using it for target shooting and home defense. I know these three names aren't top tier ar's, but are they going to fall apart during a two day carbine class? I'm a novice, but am I going to have to buy another one in a few years?

I was holding a Stag left handed model which was appealing since I'm left handed. The price was 1100. Is this in the ballpark of a fair price>

thanks
    OP you have to remember that the internet allows you to price/gun shop nation wide. Do not just settle for what's on the shelf at your LGS.

Search the FFL Holder Network at GunBroker.com

Here is a link to local FFL dealers in the Pittsburgh area.

Shop online, get what you want and have it shipped to a local FFL.

Here are some BCMs for sale from G&R tactical:

G&R Tactical
    munch520 likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links