Mossberg HD choices

This is a discussion on Mossberg HD choices within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm thinking about getting a HD shotgun in the not too distant future, most likely a Mossberg as I like the ergonomics better than those ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Mossberg HD choices

Mossberg HD choices

I'm thinking about getting a HD shotgun in the not too distant future, most likely a Mossberg as I like the ergonomics better than those on the Remington. I know of some of the differences between the 500/590SP/590A1, but want to hear from you guys on your real world experiences with regard to stuff like swinging the gun with 1) the heavy barrel of the 590A1 and 2) the longer (20") vs. shorter (18.5") barrel with the extra weight of those 2 shells out there. I'm not looking to add 50 bazillion gizmos to it, at most a light and maybe not even that. I'm absolutely not interested in a pistol grip anything shotgun either. I'm an old guy and set in my ways. BTW, I have shot alot of clays in my day using a Browning Citori O/U Sporting Clays model with 30" tubes. Bill
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

I have a maverick 88 that I use, which is a budget Mossberg, and i absolutely love it. Best of all most accessories, such as barrels from a Mossberg 500 will work on it, or so i have been told.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

590A1 for the heavier barrel, metal trigger assembly, etc.

When your adrenaline is flowing you won't likely notice the additional weight. It also keeps the barrel rise to a minimum for follow-up shots.

The extra weight of the 590 is negligible in my opinion. I do like the white dot sight on it better than the common bead sights. You are wise to avoid the pistol grip. Standard or telescoping stocks are fine. I do recommend a simple tactical light mounted to it. In the dark under stress you will need to see your target. Contrary to popular belief even a shotgun can easily miss. Being a clay shooter im sure your well aware of how very little spread there is at close range.

You can't go wrong with the 590A1 for a good beater pump. IMO it's the best pump Mossberg offers, and even eclipses everything in the 870 series (Police Magnum included) in build quality and ruggedness, combined with ease of maintenance that can be performed by the end-user.

That said, if the only thing the gun is going to see is bedside duty, there's no practical reason for getting the 590A1 over a 500 unless you plan on using it as a club.

...for a house gun, I vote for the 500 youth model...they may call it Bantam...about a 22 or 24" barrel...vent rib...big dot front sight...slick and swings real easily...not too long for in the house...yet long enough for accuracy and reach...about $250 new and I picked mine up for $125...almost new...

...if you can't stop them with 20 ga slug/buck...oh well...
    5lima30ret likes this.

A HD 12ga does not need to be expensive. The so called pistol grip Tactical's are a joke made for movies.
    Mossberg Maverick model 88 sells for 149-212. 38 inch over all flawless in operation and will do the job just fine

Look at the Mossberg FLEX system. Basically an AR concept shotgun.

Just Google it
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

My wife was the one who went out and bought our first Mossberg 500. The salesperson talked her into a combo model with both 28" and 18.5" barrels for $299. It is 5+1, pretty lightweight and lacks a metal forend tube so you can't easily swap the standard forend for a shorter law enforcement one. If you want to put a 5 round sidesaddle on, the longer forend will bump against it and not cycle all the way back. Rather than mess with a new forend I put an elastic buttstock shell holder on instead. We have never used the 28" barrel.

Next I went with her to try out an 18.5" Mossberg 590 and a 20" Mossberg 500 security 7+1. Mrs Goldielocks found the 590 too heavy and the 20" security to be too long. She was attracted to the 18.5" Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader that has an adjustable stock with shell holder, AR15 style grip and law enforcement forend with retention strap. It was mis-priced for $339 so we had to get it.

I added Hi-viz fiberoptic sights behind the bead of both and clamped a flashlight to the magtube.

Why Mossberg? H&R Pardner 18.5 will do the same thing.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    A HD 12ga does not need to be expensive. The so called pistol grip Tactical's are a joke made for movies.
    Mossberg Maverick model 88 sells for 149-212. 38 inch over all flawless in operation and will do the job just fine
    Yea. Heat shields, pistol grips, etc. LOL
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Quote Originally Posted by GoPackman View Post
    I'm absolutely not interested in a pistol grip anything shotgun either. I'm an old guy and set in my ways.
    Bill
    Ooops, I just caught the no pistol grip part. I have a few follow-up questions then.

Do you live in the city or out in the country? Does your house have narrow hallways? Being older, are you still comfortable with a 12 gauge or would a 20 gauge be easier to handle? Is everyone in the house who would use the shotgun the same height?

I use a mossberg 500 20ga as my HD gun. It is my hunting gun so I just put the bird barrel on with an improved cylinder choke...right now i have turkey loads in in it...not the most ideal load but I doubt anyone will find a high power turkey load to be a painless endeavour.... gotta get some new choke tubes for some buckshot one of these days.

A good 18.5 inch barrelled Shotgun in at least 20ga is a hard act to beat for HD.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I bought a Maverick 88 12ga. The fit and finish isnt the same as my friend's Mossberg 500, but for $199 new, its hard to beat. I bought a pistol grip for it just for fun at the range, but the regular stock feels nice for serious shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by NickBurkhardt View Post
    Ooops, I just caught the no pistol grip part. I have a few follow-up questions then.

Do you live in the city or out in the country? Does your house have narrow hallways? Being older, are you still comfortable with a 12 gauge or would a 20 gauge be easier to handle? Is everyone in the house who would use the shotgun the same height?
    My house has narrower hallways, but I'm moving in the next few months. I'm in my 50's, but recoil from a 12 ga. does not bother me. I'm the only one who will be using it. Well, maybe my son (he's 17) when he's over, but he can handle my .44 mag revolver OK. I'd have him practice with the 12 ga. before he uses it. And yes, I live in the city for now.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links