.223/5.56 or .308?

This is a discussion on .223/5.56 or .308? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking to replace my AR with an updated version. Now I am wondering about the caliber. .223/5.56 or .308. Any suggestions or recommendations?...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: .223/5.56 or .308?

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar

.223/5.56 or .308?

Looking to replace my AR with an updated version. Now I am wondering about the caliber. .223/5.56 or .308. Any suggestions or recommendations?
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

2. Remove Ads

What do you want to do with it exactly? If it's a plinker I say go with 5.56 because of cost. Hunting anything bigger than coyotes? .308 platform is what you want. HD rifle with neighbors who live pretty close? 5.56 again. So it comes back to your purpose for the rifle.

Can you keep your current AR (I'm assuming it's .223/5.56?) and just supplement it with a .308?
    Poorly likes this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

If you are serious about defending your family and home then 7.62mm/.308 is the home invader/robbery solution. It allows you to hunt medium size game too if you need to.

For two legged targets it is a one-shot stop no questions asked. Also, no burden on the taxpayer and you won't have to worry about them coming back.

I won't even get into the details of overpenetration. That horse has been beaten to death lately. Know your target and what lies beyond and take care of your family and home.

I sleep very well at night knowing I can rely on a 7.62mm rifle to eliminate any problems that might crop up at O dark-thirty.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

ARs should be in 5.56. If you buy a ".223" stamped model only, you are limited to .223 only. If its stamped either 5.56, or both 5.56, and .223, you are good to shoot either round.

AR 15s have the kinks worked out of them. Any other caliber in an AR platform, not so much. Whatever you do, dont buy an AR 10.
    40Bob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    What do you want to do with it exactly? If it's a plinker I say go with 5.56 because of cost. Hunting anything bigger than coyotes? .308 platform is what you want. HD rifle with neighbors who live pretty close? 5.56 again. So it comes back to your purpose for the rifle.
    If I do any hunting it will be wild pigs (not deer or bear) and that is why I was thinking .308.

I have read that .223/5.56 will work on pigs because of the velocity, but wanted something that works (without requiring perfect shot) and is humane.
    glockman10mm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    If I do any hunting it will be wild pigs (not deer or bear) and that is why I was thinking .308.

I have read that .223/5.56 will work on pigs because of the velocity, but wanted something that works (without requiring perfect shot) and is humane.
    If your main purpose is to hunt pigs then you're on the right track with a .308 platform. The 5.56 cartridge is dogged by many reports of slow kills on that type of game, and no one wants that. Of course if you want to have your cake and eat it too you could just keep the AR you have now and get a cheap SKS to kill pigs with....

Chinese SKS Rifle - Original Military All Milled 7.62 x 39 - Semi-Auto W/ Chrome Lined Barrels C & R Eligible - C&R Eligible
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wunderneun View Post
    If you are serious about defending your family and home then 7.62mm/.308 is the home invader/robbery solution. It allows you to hunt medium size game too if you need to.

For two legged targets it is a one-shot stop no questions asked. Also, no burden on the taxpayer and you won't have to worry about them coming back.

I won't even get into the details of overpenetration. That horse has been beaten to death lately. Know your target and what lies beyond and take care of your family and home.

I sleep very well at night knowing I can rely on a 7.62mm rifle to eliminate any problems that might crop up at O dark-thirty.
    Thanks. Your response addresses the main questions that I had because I want something that I can still use as a home defense weapon if necessary (I have plenty of handguns that would be my first choice in a HD situation) but also versatile enough for some kinds of medium size game hunting ( primarily wild pigs).

Have you looked at just buying another upper for your AR? 300, 6.8, or even 458 socom?
    nedrgr21 and 40Bob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    Have you looked at just buying another upper for your AR? 300, 6.8, or even 458 socom?
    Not really. I want to change out the whole gun to go with more of a current generation look.

Adjustable stock, more rails, removable front sight, etc, etc.

It's kind of like getting a new set of golf clubs with all of the new technology that supposedly makes them perform better.

Does it work? Probably not but it makes me feel all "en courant".

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Pigs aren't armored. 5.56 works perfectly. There's probably more pigs kilt today with 5.56 than anything else, and if you bust a sounder you get 30 tries to drop 'em all (most farmers who let you hunt their land want them all d-e-a-d, dead.

There are a lot taken with 7.62x39 as well. SEEEE, we hunt with these evil looking things!
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

the AR you have now can be "updated" with modifications that require no more than an armorers wrench and some muscle. Making it look identical to the 2k rifles out there.
    for hunting, i suspect 100-200 yard range? AK47.
    HD AK47.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

If its an old M-16 A1 fixed handle, viet nam era, model AR, yeah, Id keep it as a back up, but get something else.

If not, and its an otherwise decent gun, you can update the furniture on it, and keep what you have. Unless, you just want another AR, and aint nothing wrong with that, lol.

Not really. I want to change out the whole gun to go with more of a current generation look.

Adjustable stock, more rails, removable front sight, etc, etc.

It's kind of like getting a new set of golf clubs with all of the new technology that supposedly makes them perform better.

Does it work? Probably not but it makes me feel all "en courant".
    Not trying to nit pick but you can do all of that with your current AR and then save the old parts for a future build.
    StormRhydr and 40Bob like this.
    Tada gan irracht - Nothing without effort

The 308 is more than adequate for bear if you chose to use it for such, and anything else other than the great bears of the northern parts of the country and beyond.
    bmcgilvray and OD* like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links