Talking to your CLEO about an SBR

This is a discussion on Talking to your CLEO about an SBR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone have pointers about talking to your CLEO about signing Form 1 for an SBR?...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By beni
  • 1 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By beni

Thread: Talking to your CLEO about an SBR

Anyone have pointers about talking to your CLEO about signing Form 1 for an SBR?
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    One thing to keep in mind is that the form is not for his "approval," only his certification that you are not prohibited from ownership due to state laws or criminal history.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

The ATF gives you plenty of room for deciding which CLEO you want to sign off on the certification. For example if you live in city limits and an appointed Chief of Police is anti gun then you might have better luck going to the County Sheriff who is an elected official. The ATF also stated on their FAQ section that State or local DA/Prosecutors are acceptable and in some cases Judges of state courts who have authority to conduct jury trials in felony cases have been accepted by the ATF.

Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - National Firearms Act (NFA) - Firearms | ATF

As to your specific question on how you approach the CLEO I can't offer and good advice since I have gone the trust route with my NFA purchases which do not require a CLEO sign off or fingerprints. I do imagine however that it is probably just as simple of going down the the Police HQ and requesting the signature and you may as well get the finger prints taken care of while down there. Make sure you use the Blue reference fingerprint cards which you can order directly from the ATF, as the Police might only have red criminal fingerprint cards.

Not needing a CLEO signature and finger prints was one of the main reasons I went the trust route as I didn't want to have to spend more of my time running around town getting certified from the CLEO to own an NFA item or have to worry about the person taking my finger prints screwing them up and causing a delay.
    atctimmy and nedrgr21 like this.

Senior Moderator
    You don't really have to talk to him about anything.

On the part that states "reason for owning" just put "to enhance personal collection". That's worked for me a few hundred times.
    Badey likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

On the part that states "reason for owning" just put "to enhance personal collection". That's worked for me a few hundred times.
    So in the "reason for owning" block it would be bad to put "to survive the oncoming storm"?
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

Senior Moderator
    It might work.

Unless it got viewed by one of Obamas personal appointees that see no real reason for owning a gun. Some of those examiners have zero sense of humor and some are dumber than a rock.
    atctimmy likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Zooooommmmmbbbiiiiieeeeeeeezzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Senior Moderator
    I have actually heard of "to kill Zombies" being turned down.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I have actually heard of "to kill Zombies" being turned down.
    Yeah I'm not sure if there is a process for applications that get rejected to appeal. For me personally I would not risk getting turned down for something that I have already purchased from a class three dealer and wait 6-9 months to find out I was rejected for being a smart a**. That $200 check that was cashed is also probably not refundable.
    atctimmy likes this.

My sheriff is pretty pro 2A, so I think I'll be fine, but this is my first NFA item, so I'm not sure what to expect.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I've always had success with 'all lawful purposes'.

Even though 'killing zombies' is a joke, I can see why'd they reject it. "To kill _____" probably isn't the best way to get gov approval.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Does the fingerprinting done by the state police for the CHP qualify?

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    So in the "reason for owning" block it would be bad to put "to survive the oncoming storm"?
    Would "for sport" be good?

Sponsored Links