Rifle

This is a discussion on Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was going to buy a new pistol after Christmas but have decided to buy a rifle instead. The ARs look really good but I ...

Thread: Rifle

Rifle

I was going to buy a new pistol after Christmas but have decided to buy a rifle instead.
    The ARs look really good but I am also thinking of maybe an M1 Garand. What do you folks think pros and cons of each?

I think this is in the wrong place You might need to move it. Thanks.
    Last edited by steve63; November 30th, 2006 at 04:45 AM. Reason: wrong place

2. Remove Ads

that is a really tough choice! only one or the other? what do you want to use it for? Personally if you are interested in either then I would go with the AR first since everyone seems to think that another ban is possible in the coming years. ...I tend to agree, but I'm don't know if it's going to happen as soon as some people are saying. If you aren't worried about that then go with whichever one you think you will have more fun with...if you are looking for a "fun" gun that is. The Garand will cost more to shoot...do you reload? Do you want a highly custom gun or are you going to keep it simple? Lots of questions I know

I want something that is fun to shoot, that doesn't cost and arm or a leg and is the best choice for when the SHTF. The only rifle other than a shotgun that I have fired was the M16A2 back in my Corps days and I was pretty good with that. I have heard good things about both the AR and the M1 but which in your opinion would match what I need it for?

Lead Moderator
    moved it for ya. You might want to look on http://www.ar15.com/forums/active.html?b=&f= for more info.
    In a nutshell most AR makers are good. seems some complaints on the SA Garands lately, a CMP Garand sounds like it might be better quality.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by steve63 View Post
    I want something that is fun to shoot, that doesn't cost and arm or a leg and is the best choice for when the SHTF. The only rifle other than a shotgun that I have fired was the M16A2 back in my Corps days and I was pretty good with that. I have heard good things about both the AR and the M1 but which in your opinion would match what I need it for?
    If you just want something fun to shoot then how about an AR or AK? they are pretty popular and easy to work on and won't have the costs associated with the Garand...any of the three will work for SHTF...heck they have all been used in wartime with great success. You could go really inexpensive and go for a WASR for ~$300 ...used plain jane AR for ~$500...couple more questions for you then.
    How much do you plan on shooting it and how comfortable and reliable do you want. My vote for the gun that you are describing is an AR, but that's just because I'm an AR guy...I think that the AK would be a great choice to...OOORRRR how about a FAL...more expensive than the other two, but a NICE gun too...one of the best all around battle rifles if you ask me...and the mags are very cheap too. There are tons of choices for you in your price range...especially if you are considering dropping the $ on a new M1. My short list would be (not in any order):

AR
    AK
    FAL
    M1

Whatever choice you make, be sure to research the gun you are looking at because within any of the families above there will be some good choices and some really bad choices...

Administrator

Thumbs up

You have this posted in the perfect forum spot. No need to move it.
    At this point in time I would go with a nice, good quality AR (as a first choice) plus a few more than a few extra magazines.
    Get your AR "Grandfathered In" while you can still get one.
    It will do nice "double duty" as a fun gun to shoot and will prove to be a worthy SHTF rifle as the S continues to move ever closer to the F.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    You want a SHTF weapon.

Don't even consider a Garand. Why ??? Too many reasons to list. -------

VIP Member
    The M1 is heavier, the ammo is heavier, the ammo is more expensive, it makes a good club compared to an AR. The AR is lighter, ammo is lighter, ammo is cheaper, makes an average club if required.

Lots of accessories for the AR, for the M1, not so much.

A CMP M1 is cheaper than the AR. Repro M1s are in the same price range as the AR.

You have experience with an AR, you didn't mention any M1 experience.

So based on all that and the fact that I won't have to carry it, pay for it or feed it, definitely get the M1. It's a learning experience that you won't get with the AR (M1 thumb ). And when Hillary and the Dem Congress ban ownership of ARs you won't be out $1K or so when they come take it from you.

Your choice though as I have both platforms.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Senior Moderator
    I have an FN-FAL and a M-1 Carbine. I just bought a stripped lower reciever to build my own AR. The reason why I'm building my own is to get myself familiar with the rifle to make repairs if I need too when TSHTF. I did this with the FN-FAL (assembled it from parts) it is a little bit cheaper and a whole lot more fun. There is a lot of 308 and 223 around, there is more 30-06 than 30 carbine so I don't recommend the carbine (I Love them but not for WTSHTF). I hope this will help you in picking a rifle, I would start with an AR if I had to do it all over again and finish with the M-1 carbine if I had to do it over again.

Buy or build an AR.

If you have any mechanical skills at all I would reccomend that you assemble your own AR. The AR is a very versatile, amazingly good platform.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Hey, ya'll are missing the best answer - Get both!

Seriously, the AR first, for all the reasons previously mentioned, plus you can actually put optics on it.

But the M1 Garand is a piece of history, fun to shoot, and the ammo isn't really all that much if you get it through the CMP. So it should be a close second. Also, it probably won't fall into any new gun bans.

Links