Removing rear sight from 91/30 Mosin?

This is a discussion on Removing rear sight from 91/30 Mosin? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought a Brass Stacker mount recently, and just yesterday it showed up. Trying to release the rear sight pins, I found out that they ...

Thread: Removing rear sight from 91/30 Mosin?

I bought a Brass Stacker mount recently, and just yesterday it showed up. Trying to release the rear sight pins, I found out that they are unfortunately the pins that are soldered in. Ive tried all kinds of stuff, starting with using the basic punch they gave. The punch is bending, and the top of the metal punch is mushrooming before the pin even budged. I figured maybe try to heat it up with a soldering iron. No go. Used a small, butane torch, and let it heat up for about 5 minutes, again, with no avail. I tried then drilling them out, and once the bit they gave me got down into the meat of the metal, it just snapped. The steel they used to build this gun is incredibly hard.

Anyone ever have any experience getting the reat sights of a Mosin off when they are soldered in place? Im unsure what to do, short of giving the gun to a gunsmith or machine shop and having them get it off, but for them to even look at the gun will be 1/2 the value of the gun itself. This ultra budget scoped Mosin build is quickly becoming a not-so-budget build. Im thinking if they want to charge $75 to look at it and get the rear sight off, it would be cheaper to just get a whole new bolt/barrel and cross my fingers that it isnt soldered? Or maybe just a whole new rifle if I can find one for $100 or less, and have a scoped Mosin and an unscoped Mosin.

Not really sure what the best route would be to take?

To remove the rear sight you need to use a propane torch, and you really need to heat it up longer than that to melt the solder.
    USMC 2009-2013 0341 Pfc-Cpl.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian
    My Blog http://renogunblog.blogspot.com/

I see a propane torch is $15 or less at Home Depot. Is it hard to take the barrel and action out of the stock?

It is my understanding that rifles made during the war years 1942-1945 were not soldered.

The sight pins on these rifles can be removed fairly easy.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Mine is a 1937. Guess Im just buying a propane torch tonight.

Got a propane toch and I had to hear the sight (and barrel, since its connected) to the point where it was smoking to remove one of the pins. The other pin would not come out whatsoever. Going to try it again maybe later. This quick, easy, super budget build has quickly become a long, drawn out, expensive, PITA build.

...Yesterdays Weapons Forum

...friendly, knowledgeable, and downright helpful...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    Got a propane toch and I had to hear the sight (and barrel, since its connected) to the point where it was smoking to remove one of the pins. The other pin would not come out whatsoever. Going to try it again maybe later. This quick, easy, super budget build has quickly become a long, drawn out, expensive, PITA build.
    I had to remove the solder on my Enfield sniper #4T don't ask but is a WWII era. We used the MAPP gas in leau of propane. Gets a bit hotter. Worked very nice. I like the irons on my mosin so I have not messed with the rear site on one.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    I see a propane torch is $15 or less at Home Depot. Is it hard to take the barrel and action out of the stock?
    Not difficult at all. Make sure the chamber is empty. remove the bolt by putting the handle up, and pulling back to you, at the same time, slightly press the trigger and the bolt should slide out. press the ring locking tangs on the side of the rifle about middle of the barrel. slide the rings forward(sometimes they are tight, if your wanting to not mar the wood finish, be careful here). remove the upper wood piece. remove the screw at the back end of the bolt rail area. remove the screw from the underside of the rifle. you should not be able to separate the stock from the receiver/barrel

Plenty of youtube vids out there, too.

I just gave it a quick glange, and unscrewed two screws, removed two bands, and I had a rifle in pieces. Super easy break down.

Sponsored Links