Aimpoint or Micro-dot for an AK?

This is a discussion on Aimpoint or Micro-dot for an AK? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, Im finally gonna do it. Im tradin the XM15 for an M&M m10. Lets face it, 7.62 is more plentiful, cheaper, has just as ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By jonconsiglio
  • 3 Post By tacman605
  • 1 Post By QKShooter
  • 2 Post By RKM
  • 1 Post By Steve261

Thread: Aimpoint or Micro-dot for an AK?

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar

Aimpoint or Micro-dot for an AK?

So, Im finally gonna do it. Im tradin the XM15 for an M&M m10. Lets face it, 7.62 is more plentiful, cheaper, has just as much distance capability as .223/5.56, and in a home defense scenario...well, God help the bad-guy. I put $400 down on it today, and I just need to wait for my ND license to come through. The question is, do I go with an Aimpoint, or a Microdot. Im thinking Microdot, coz of the height over bore issue. Getting a raiser would only complicate matters there, and I'd rather save money so I can buy ammo.

This is what I had in mind for the Micro-Dot.
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-...e-p/md-06l.htm

Your thoughts?
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

2. Remove Ads

Aimpoint is a bit over priced for an AK. The AK 76.672X39 does not have the range to justify the Aimpoint.
    But then again your cash your weapon
    Mounting one on an AK is another issue to get a truly secure mount it needs to be mounted to the receiver.
    Using the commonly available Russian style mount with PINNACLE top rail works well for any AK sight or scope.
    And is quick disconnect.

I've shot AKs with an Aimpoint T1 and with a Trijicon mini RMR. Both were mounted low on the handguard and offered what was similar to a lower 1/3 cowitness. I wouldn't hesitate to use either, though I'd probably lean towards the Aimpoint

it might have been the Midwest Industries handguard on both, but I can't say for sure.
    gasmitty and IndianaSig like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

My hand guard gets crazy hot. I'm not putting an $800 T1 or H1 on there. Plus you'll lose zero every time you clean your tube and gas port because the stable mounts bolt to the barrel (and I don't like my optic that far forward). I use the side mount. Bulky and ugly but well balanced, holds zero, and can still provide lower third cowitness with a RS AKML or AKM mount. You can even take the rifle down with the AKM mounted if you're worried about losing zero.

http://rsregulate.com/

I use a first gen AKM with an Aimpoint Pro and it's perfect. They're great short and long distance optics. The primary arms micro dot mounting pattern is the same as the Aimpoint T1 micro dot so the AKML will work for either. The AKM is for 30mm tube optics like the Aimpoint Pro/Comp/etc, Strikefire and the Primary clones. I think the newer RS mounts are a bit less bulky but mine never gets in the way of anything.
    Here it is with a Strikefire on it. It has an Aimpoint in it now with the same mount.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377262620.658754.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377262664.008652.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377262693.708213.jpg

VIP Member
    Mounting an optic on an a stock AK can be problematic. I am not sure but I don't believe your rifle has the side mount bracket for mounting an optic, may be wrong.

Rifles without this rail mount have to have the optic either mounted on an aftermarket receiver cover, an aftermarket gas tube or a set of handguards. All my AK's run the Ultimak Gas Tube Rail. I also do not remove my gas tube to clean it I use a correctly sized shotgun bore brush and swab to keep it clean.

AK's also tend to be heavy compared to other rifles for their purpose so I usually go with a mini red dot like the Aimpoint T-1/H-1 or similar model mounted on the gas tube and have no issues with it.

If you rifle is equipped with the side rail check it first to make sure it is level before mounting an optic. If it is canted up or down you will run out of elevation on the optic before you get it zeroed. Several companies make a lightweight mount that sits low enough that you can still get a good cheek weld on the rifle. Depending on the model of mount you may or may not have to remove the mount to take the receiver cover off.

Texas Weapons Systems makes a replacement receiver cover that attaches both to the rear sight mount and the back of the receiver cover that you can solidly mount an optic to and for maintenance you simply unlock the rear of the receiver cover and the cover then hinges up staying attached to the rifle.

Hope this helps and good luck
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Administrator
    On a fighting rifle nothing takes a severe pounding and beating like an Aimpoint.

How you effectively get it on there securely will be up to you.
    tacman605 likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

RKM
    I don't use an Aimpoint micro, but I use a Primary Arms clone on an Ultimak rail. Arguably the best red dot optic set-up on an AK. Perfect lower 1/3 co-witness when using a low mount on most Aimpoint type optics. Be careful, the Ultimak rail gets EXTREMELY hot. And you will accidentally touch it if you're not careful. It's also great of mounting a light as well.

I have since added a Krebs safety lever. It is magical.

WOW RKM that AK's got me all kinda gooey and tingly right now. My AR is an AK47 but I like yours BETTER than mine

Is that Krebs safety lever a Maynard G Krebs???
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Bushnell TRS-25 with a MI mount. I like being able to take the mount/sight on and off the rifle. Holds zero when re-installed.

40Bob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I don't use an Aimpoint micro, but I use a Primary Arms clone on an Ultimak rail. Arguably the best red dot optic set-up on an AK. Perfect lower 1/3 co-witness when using a low mount on most Aimpoint type optics. Be careful, the Ultimak rail gets EXTREMELY hot. And you will accidentally touch it if you're not careful. It's also great of mounting a light as well.

Love the worn finish, that thing is beautiful.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Is there any benefit to having it mounted on the handguard, or can I get an XY mount have it above the reciever?
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

Here's another mounting option just to confuse your decision more.

Our Scope Mounts are light weight and computer milled from a solid block of aluminum for strength, providing years of service. The AK Saiga Sight Base provides a solid platform for scout style scopes or red dot sights. The scope and weaver style rail can be removed for cleaning, allowing access to the gas tube and block. When remounted the scope will retain zero. In the event your scope is damaged the AK Sight Base can be used as a traditional rear sight.
    Scout Scopes Scope Mounts For AK SKS VZ58 CZ58 Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    Is there any benefit to having it mounted on the handguard, or can I get an XY mount have it above the reciever?
    Many of the over receiver mounts are extremely high. Almost too high to be of any use.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post

Wow, that is a sweet rifle RKM. Time to look for an AK

I really do not like optics on AK's kinda like putting an optic on a lever gun. If I want to run optics on a fighting rifle/carbine it is an AR.

I just dumped all of my T2/3 optics and put an Aimpoint on. I love quality optics 3 shots to zero 2 to verify.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Links