Defensive AR-15 Ammunition

This is a discussion on Defensive AR-15 Ammunition within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone have recommendations on "good" SD ammo for AR15's?...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Defensive AR-15 Ammunition

  1. #1
    Member Array Strmwatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    346

    Defensive AR-15 Ammunition

    Anyone have recommendations on "good" SD ammo for AR15's?

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Member Array gallardo.g23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    k-falls,oregon
    Posts
    407
    i have been using 55gr hornady 223. seem alright for me. dont really know of any others

  4. #3
    Member Array swelly61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    67
    I use what my state and local LEO use. Winchester Ranger 5.56 64gr JSP. They seem to perform extremely well.

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array Gene83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,220
    I'm using Winchester PDX1
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

  6. #5
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,370
    I use Black hills 5.56 with a 77 grain O(pen)T(ip)M(atch) bullet.
    sammage likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

  7. #6
    Member Array swelly61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    67
    There are lots of great choices... It all depends on what you need it to do.

  8. #7
    Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    1,419
    Hornady 55gr. SP or
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array Smitty901's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,254
    If your are shooting 16 inch barrel 1 in 76 twist then keep it simple 62 gr 5.56 AKA green tip
    If your shooting 20 inch 1 in 12 twist 55Gr.

  10. #9
    Distinguished Member
    Array Xader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    If your are shooting 16 inch barrel 1 in 76 twist then keep it simple 62 gr 5.56 AKA green tip
    If your shooting 20 inch 1 in 12 twist 55Gr.
    Unless over-penetration is an issue.

    I absolutely would not use green tip in a densely populated environment, like an apartment building...

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array Smitty901's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    Unless over-penetration is an issue.

    I absolutely would not use green tip in a densely populated environment, like an apartment building...
    Not in the real world more of the modern day hype.
    Why would you use any AR15 in an apartment this world has gone nuts.
    We need a 68.332 gr round that should make everyone happy and we will fill it with soft gold simple stuff made hard.
    Yes I do know a thing or two about using an M4

  12. #11
    Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    1,554
    Same as for any other varmint elimination- 60gr ballistic tip

    Working on two new ones-60gr Partition & 64gr bonded
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

  13. #12
    Senior Member Array munch520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    578
    75gr TAP
    55gr TSX
    70gr TSX
    sammage likes this.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

    How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

  14. #13
    Pig
    Pig is offline
    Member Array Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    75gr TAP
    55gr TSX
    70gr TSX
    The tsx is a formidable round. I have used it in various calibers on deer. It does its job well.

  15. #14
    VIP Member Array jonconsiglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    3,171
    The Black Hills 50gr TSX is vastly superior to the 55gr TSX.

    For home defense, I would choose BH 50gr TSX or 75gr TAP first. After that, a TBBC, 64gr Gold Dot, 55gr or 62gr TSX, Ranger Bonded or Win Bonded.

    I would choose based on my living situation and ammo availability. If I'm very concerned with overpenetration, I'd choose 75gr TAP above all else. If not, I'd choose BH 50gr TSX above all else.

    Barrrl length will also playa big part in my ammunition choice.

    I would not use an OTM bullet under 75gr. OTM relies on fragmentation for wounding and I want as many fragments as possible. Bonded relies on expansion, so 50gr to 62gr is fine and even sometimes preferred to heavier bonded bullets. 70gr TSX is an awesome hunting load and is in use with special operations (70gr optimized/Brown Tip), but it is deep penetration, so not always ideal for LE or home defense.

    Stay away from varmint rounds like 55gr TAP, for example. They often fail to penetrate. They'll leave a nasty wound but in numerous cases they've failed to penetrate deep enough to reach vital organs.

    55gr M193 and 62gr M855 can be decent choices, but they are inconsistent performers. They would be next to last choice after varmint rounds.

    Even though BH 50gr TSX is solid copper and one of the best TSX choices for use against intermediate barriers like auto glass, it penetrates on the low side of the FBI minimum. So, it's still a good choice for home defense use.

    So again, BH 50gr TSX and 75gr TAP T2 as my first choices with 55gr or 62gr TBBC (Tactical Bonded Bear Claw) or 64gr Gold Dot would be my second choice.
    TX expat, sammage and tmoore912 like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

  16. #15
    VIP Member Array maxwell97's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,019
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    The Black Hills 50gr TSX is vastly superior to the 55gr TSX.

    For home defense, I would choose BH 50gr TSX or 75gr TAP first. After that, a TBBC, 64gr Gold Dot, 55gr or 62gr TSX, Ranger Bonded or Win Bonded.

    I would choose based on my living situation and ammo availability. If I'm very concerned with overpenetration, I'd choose 75gr TAP above all else. If not, I'd choose BH 50gr TSX above all else.

    Barrrl length will also playa big part in my ammunition choice.

    I would not use an OTM bullet under 75gr. OTM relies on fragmentation for wounding and I want as many fragments as possible. Bonded relies on expansion, so 50gr to 62gr is fine and even sometimes preferred to heavier bonded bullets. 70gr TSX is an awesome hunting load and is in use with special operations (70gr optimized/Brown Tip), but it is deep penetration, so not always ideal for LE or home defense.

    Stay away from varmint rounds like 55gr TAP, for example. They often fail to penetrate. They'll leave a nasty wound but in numerous cases they've failed to penetrate deep enough to reach vital organs.

    55gr M193 and 62gr M855 can be decent choices, but they are inconsistent performers. They would be next to last choice after varmint rounds.

    Even though BH 50gr TSX is solid copper and one of the best TSX choices for use against intermediate barriers like auto glass, it penetrates on the low side of the FBI minimum. So, it's still a good choice for home defense use.

    So again, BH 50gr TSX and 75gr TAP T2 as my first choices with 55gr or 62gr TBBC (Tactical Bonded Bear Claw) or 64gr Gold Dot would be my second choice.
    Hi again!

    When it comes to overpenetration, my understanding at this point is that 5.56 is very safe in this regard when it fragments at a wall, not so much if it remains solid and undeformed. I had thought that the TAP ammo is designed for expansion and not intended to fragment in tissue, but does it fragment at a solid barrier? Just wondering why you recommend 75 grain TAP for less risk of overpenetration.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

70 gr. gmx? tap? barrier
,
77gr smk fragmentation threshold
,
ar 15 ammo
,

black hills 50 gr optimized tsx

,

black hills 50gr tsx

,
black hills ar-15 ammo
,
defensive ar 15 ammo
,

how does gold dot 64gr. sp ammo shoot in a 20' barrel ar-15

,
optimized 70gr tsx 5.56 ammo
,

shooting gold dot 64gr. sp out of 20 barrel

,
xm193 home defense
,
xm193 self defense
Click on a term to search for related topics.