AK-47 and SKS

This is a discussion on AK-47 and SKS within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Dyerbill I was thinking of these two rifles as my next purchase. I found them at j&g Sales from Arizona and can ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AK-47 and SKS

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyerbill View Post
    I was thinking of these two rifles as my next purchase. I found them at j&g Sales from Arizona and can get both out the door for under six hundred. I am looking for a AR-15 in the future but I feel safe till the 2008 election. I own a mini14 223 and two 7.62x39 twice and another 223 soon might round me off any thoughts?

For SHTF and fun while we still can.

I live down the street from J&G. PM inbound.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    Not bad prices! I wonder if the price will drop even lower? I know there have been a shortage for a long time. I can still remember a 1000 rounds for less than a $100.
    A few years ago I bought 120 cases at less than $50/case from a dealer who was going out of business. Still got most of it.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Due to increased shipping costs, prices for 7.62x39 will most likely not drop back down.

If ammo availability is your criteria - take a hard look at the surplus market right now. There isn't a lot going for the 7.62x39 in terms of price and availability anymore.

As for AR's not being able to digest wolf or surplus ammo - that's simply hogwash. I have had the pleasure to know several AR's that will digest just about anything without a hiccup. The AR unreliability claims are mostly internet ballyhoo and keyboard commando banter.

It sounds like you're just looking to round out your arsenal - and in that case, the SKS's are hard to pass up for the price. The AK's - I would put that money in the piggy and save up for that AR (or perhaps Rock River's new LAR-10 they have coming out?). You already have a good battle rifle (mini-14) that is far superior to the AK.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH View Post
    You already have a good battle rifle (mini-14) that is far superior to the AK.
    Far superior? Based on what?

Iím going to respectively disagree. Reliability wise, a mini-14 canít touch an AK. For parts and magazine availability, the AK is also a much better choice than a Mini-14. The Mini-14 may have a slight advantage in accuracy, but that advantage is slight in my experience. The Mini-14 is no AR.

Now if youíre saying the Mini-14 is a better weapon, based on the caliber that is a whole different debate. I like both rounds, but I like the .223 in an AR and the 7.62x39 in an AK.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

VIP Member

It sounds like you're just looking to round out your arsenal - and in that case, the SKS's are hard to pass up for the price. The AK's - I would put that money in the piggy and save up for that AR (or perhaps Rock River's new LAR-10 they have coming out?). You already have a good battle rifle (mini-14) that is far superior to the AK.
    My experience differs from yours. An AK is one of those rifles that you can throw down in the dirt, kick it around and then pick it up and shoot it. I believe the AR is more accurate and better made but in my eyes not better designed. With all the AR fans on this forum ( and I wish I had an AR too ) I hope I do not recieve hate mail. LOL

JT
    No hate mail from me. I like ARs, but I also really like AKs. Each has its strengths. ARs are more reliable than many give them credit for, but they can’t compare with an AK. On the other hand, ARs are much more accurate.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

I am gonna have to agree with JT and Ben Hennessy! I have owned two Mini-14s and no one, not even highpower rifle shooters could wrangle in a better group than 7inches at 100 yards. The AR-15 literally shoots circles around that!! It burns me that Bill Ruger wrote his infamous letter to Congress that basically started the "high capacity" Brady Bill B.S. and labeled the AR-15 Family of Stoner Rifles as "Assault Weapons" while the Mini-14 (similar in function, but not in accuracy to a AR-15) was NOT labeled an assault rifle and Ruger made High Capacity magazines for it. I have a lot of beef with Ruger politically and against their Mini-14 politically and accuracy wise but their Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag is awesome.
    Ben Hennessy had a point in the Ak's ruggade relaibility, nice cartridge (ballistaclly equvilant to a 30-30) and can actually hold a tighter group at 100 yards than the Mini-14!!
    Why not just have both the AR and the AK? :D And forget mini, just get the sweet ol' M-14!

Senior Moderator
    It is hard to beat the SKS for value. I would suggest that anyone who is worried about when TSHTF or TEOTWAWKI to start off with this carbine especially since they are so affordable.
    I love The AR and am trying my hand at building one. That being said I do believe that an AK will still be working when my AR is junk, and the SKS will probably out last the AK. Of course this all depends on which rifles you get, some are very good and some are scrap metal. I would suggest to get a SKS and lots of striiper clips first, and then go with the AK or AR.

You can't beat an SKS for $149 out the door(cheaper than dirt). Sure their ugly at that price, but you can get a new fiber force stock for $40 dollars. Great intro to rifles. Can anyone say value?
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    For the uninitiated TEOTWAWKI = "The End Of The World As We Know It"
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    Far superior? Based on what?

Iím going to respectively disagree. Reliability wise, a mini-14 canít touch an AK. For parts and magazine availability, the AK is also a much better choice than a Mini-14. The Mini-14 may have a slight advantage in accuracy, but that advantage is slight in my experience. The Mini-14 is no AR.

Now if youíre saying the Mini-14 is a better weapon, based on the caliber that is a whole different debate. I like both rounds, but I like the .223 in an AR and the 7.62x39 in an AK.
    Just my experiences. I have never had or seen reliability issues with mini-14's. Cartridge aside, the AK has a horrible trigger (I do mean horrible), ergonomically doesn't work (for me), and worst the accuracy is unacceptable in all examples that I have seen. If a rifle can't hold 4 MOA - then it is not suitable as a battle rifle. I haven't seen an AK that can hold 4 MOA - but I'm sure they exist. I haven't seen a mini-14 that won't hold 4 MOA (even with surplus ammo) but again, I'm sure they exist. Again - just my experiences.

VIP Member
    Just my experiences. I have never had or seen reliability issues with mini-14's. Cartridge aside, the AK has a horrible trigger (I do mean horrible), ergonomically doesn't work (for me), and worst the accuracy is unacceptable in all examples that I have seen. If a rifle can't hold 4 MOA - then it is not suitable as a battle rifle. I haven't seen an AK that can hold 4 MOA - but I'm sure they exist.

joe/OH thats for sure the AK is not a good target rifle with a trigger like a mini-14. But as for as battle rifle, it might not be America's choice but for sure it is the World's choice. And I'm sure for many reasons. And it fits the bill for a SHTF rifle.

JT
    My Vepr will hold 4 MOA (actually better), has a good trigger and good ergonomics.

To me reliability is at the very top of the list of criteria for a combat rifle. Nothing comes close to the AK in that department.
    Last edited by JT; December 2nd, 2006 at 10:23 AM.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyerbill View Post
    I was thinking of these two rifles as my next purchase. I found them at j&g Sales from Arizona and can get both out the door for under six hundred. I am looking for a AR-15 in the future but I feel safe till the 2008 election. I own a mini14 223 and two 7.62x39 twice and another 223 soon might round me off any thoughts?

For SHTF and fun while we still can.
    I wish I had your confidence that we'll be safe until 2008. With the new Demoncratic majority (not misspelled), headed by Nancy Pelosi and Nevada's own Harry Reid, I'm hoping that I can come up with enough money to fulfill my wish list as far as rifles and high cap mags go by March. I figure that at worst, it will take the gun banners at least until then to get an AWB going. I've supported GWD, but he's let me down in a number of areas (not all his fault- the Republicans in Congress never could figure out how to govern, and let a minority run roughshod over them), and I'm not convinced that he would veto a AWB. I sincerely hope that you are right, and no new bans will be enacted. I own an AR, and I have my eye on a SOCOM II. I would like to be able to get it, enough hi cap mags, and a good supply of ammo, before the dems go nuts ( ok, go even MORE nuts). I things work out the way I hope, I may be able to get everything that I need by the end of the year. Nut that's up in the air right now, as finances have suddenly gone south (just lost my job).
    But, there's a good chance that things might turn around this week. O/W, I'll have to save my pennies, and pray that there are enough pro 2A congressmen and Senators to keep the Dems under control.

AK all the way

I would have an AK over an SKS, its just more carryable and holds more ammo in standard mags. A lot of people seem to get SKS's and then start spending more money tring to turn them into AK's.

Don't get me wrong, the SKS is good too, and I have one of those too. But the AK is the SHTF gun, no doubt.

And, Katrina basically made my mind up to go AK rather than AR. You may not be able to keep the gun pristine clean when it all goes pear shaped and the AK is more forgiving.

As for accuracy, the AK is plent accurate enough for combat ranges. Should easily hit a man sized target up to 300 meters. If I needed more accuracy than that, I would likely want a scope anyway and would be lookng to use my Remington 700 bolt action which is plenty accurate.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links