AK-47 and SKS - Page 3

AK-47 and SKS

This is a discussion on AK-47 and SKS within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have owned both. I now have Norinco MAK-90 and have fired many rounds without a single jam. Not as accurate as the AR but ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 46

Thread: AK-47 and SKS

  1. #31
    Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,675
    I have owned both. I now have Norinco MAK-90 and have fired many rounds without a single jam. Not as accurate as the AR but good enough. I owned a Colt AR about seven years ago but had to sell it when I first got married because we needed the money. It was very accurate and very well made. It would function without any jams on "namebrand" ammo but when I shot Wolf or other offbrand ammo it ceased being a semi-automatic and became a jamo-matic. I always had this in the back of my mind about the rifle and it bothered me. I will own another AR someday so I will be cool in the eyes of the gunsnobs at the range but I will defend my son,my wife, and myself with the AK.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!


  2. #32
    Member Array joe/OH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cinci, OH
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragman View Post
    I would have an AK over an SKS, its just more carryable and holds more ammo in standard mags. A lot of people seem to get SKS's and then start spending more money tring to turn them into AK's.

    Don't get me wrong, the SKS is good too, and I have one of those too. But the AK is the SHTF gun, no doubt.

    And, Katrina basically made my mind up to go AK rather than AR. You may not be able to keep the gun pristine clean when it all goes pear shaped and the AK is more forgiving.

    As for accuracy, the AK is plent accurate enough for combat ranges. Should easily hit a man sized target up to 300 meters. If I needed more accuracy than that, I would likely want a scope anyway and would be lookng to use my Remington 700 bolt action which is plenty accurate.

    Combat ranges for a rifleman is 500 yards and less. At that range, an expert rifleman can consistently hit a man-size target with iron sights with a decent rifle (M1A, M1 Garand, etc.) - and no - not off of a bench. In a SHTF situation, you very well may need to reach out to these ranges. Scopes are a plus but are not necessary. They just make the job easier.

    If you find an AK that will hold 4 MOA - it is definitely up to the job. The robarm VEPR builds are definitely a fine rifle but are not your typical surplus third-world AK. Most SKS's I have seen will hold 4 MOA with decent ammunition. (Yes - the SKS is on average more accurate than the AK).

  3. #33
    Senior Member Array Fragman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH View Post
    Combat ranges for a rifleman is 500 yards and less. At that range, an expert rifleman can consistently hit a man-size target with iron sights with a decent rifle (M1A, M1 Garand, etc.) - and no - not off of a bench. In a SHTF situation, you very well may need to reach out to these ranges. Scopes are a plus but are not necessary. They just make the job easier.

    If you find an AK that will hold 4 MOA - it is definitely up to the job. The robarm VEPR builds are definitely a fine rifle but are not your typical surplus third-world AK. Most SKS's I have seen will hold 4 MOA with decent ammunition. (Yes - the SKS is on average more accurate than the AK).
    the rifle may be up to a 500 yard shot, but my eyes are not!

  4. #34
    Senior Member Array Wayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    822
    Why not the best of both worlds? I think I paid around $200 for this, but they are drying up in some places and maybe harder to find. But, what about an SKS that takes AK mags? Can't take the drums though, but all the AK mags from 10 to 50 will fit and fire:







    Also known as the SKS Sporter. I like it and it fires just fine. Has decent accuracy but I have an AR-15 to make up for what this one can't do.

    Wayne

  5. #35
    JT
    JT is offline
    Distinguished Member Array JT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,425
    While the SKS sporter is nice, I think the accuracy will be about the same as the AK. Most of the SKS accuracy advantage (which I think is slight if at all) is due to barrel length. The SKS sporter has the same 16" barrel as the AK.

    And while the SKS is reliable, the AK is more reliable and durable.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

    Si vis pacem, para bellum

  6. #36
    Member Array Hekkenschutze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    While the SKS sporter is nice, I think the accuracy will be about the same as the AK. Most of the SKS accuracy advantage (which I think is slight if at all) is due to barrel length. The SKS sporter has the same 16" barrel as the AK.

    And while the SKS is reliable, the AK is more reliable and durable.
    well barrel lenght and a milled reciever is what put the SKS ahead of the AKM. When the AK was first tested in 1945 and put into use in 1947 it had a milled reciever too but due to costs and time the Soviets just made the AK receivers out of stamped steel metal. This made them lighter, reduced time for production and made them slightly less accurate.
    In my opinion, having had fired both SKS and AKM (iron sights on both and then scopes on both) I find that the SKS is a touch better accuraccy wise.

    I'd still choose the AK though because it is a carbine, it is designed with high-capacity in mind, it is oh so very reliable, simple design and I can shoot pumkins with it out to 600 meters consistantly with iron sights. (guys at the three gun shoot decided to have fun with old pumkins)

    I still contend that the AKM holds better groups than the Mini-14.

  7. #37
    Member Array Gary Brommeland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Hekkenschutze View Post
    well barrel lenght and a milled reciever is what put the SKS ahead of the AKM. When the AK was first tested in 1945 and put into use in 1947 it had a milled reciever too but due to costs and time the Soviets just made the AK receivers out of stamped steel metal. This made them lighter, reduced time for production and made them slightly less accurate.
    In my opinion, having had fired both SKS and AKM (iron sights on both and then scopes on both) I find that the SKS is a touch better accuraccy wise.

    I'd still choose the AK though because it is a carbine, it is designed with high-capacity in mind, it is oh so very reliable, simple design and I can shoot pumkins with it out to 600 meters consistantly with iron sights. (guys at the three gun shoot decided to have fun with old pumkins)

    I still contend that the AKM holds better groups than the Mini-14.
    Wow, it's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!! Gotta be about 6 feet in diameter to hit 'em a 600 meters.

  8. #38
    JT
    JT is offline
    Distinguished Member Array JT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Hekkenschutze View Post
    well barrel lenght and a milled reciever is what put the SKS ahead of the AKM.
    I have fired plenty of SKS's and AK's and noticed little, if any difference in accuracy.

    But most of the AK's have either had a milled receiver, or were a VEPR.

    Plus, my VEPR out shoots any SKS I have ever shot. That thing is great.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hekkenschutze View Post
    I still contend that the AKM holds better groups than the Mini-14.
    I agree.
    Last edited by JT; December 5th, 2006 at 03:47 PM.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

    Si vis pacem, para bellum

  9. #39
    Member Array Hekkenschutze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    Wow, it's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!! Gotta be about 6 feet in diameter to hit 'em a 600 meters.
    *sigh* where do you live? If you live close to the Ozarks I'd love to invite you to come shooting with me. If you've got a Mini-14 please bring it and I'll bring my AKM.
    Oh crap, I made a mistake, I meant 600 yards...

  10. #40
    Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    1,969


    Here is my Romanian GP WASR-10. It shoots better than it looks, which is what I look for in a battle rifle. I wanted something rugged, equipped with high-cap mags, and an AK47 clone seemed to fit the bill just fine. The mags to wobble a bit, but thats because it was originally designed to accept single stack 10 round mags. I love this gun so much, I wouldn't hesitate to sling it over my back in the event of a SHTF situation.

    Don't mind the naked mattress, sheets were being washed at the time the pic was taken. I actually like the way my AK looks. The crappy furniture gives it sort of that "older" look.

  11. #41
    Member Array Slider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    S Dakota
    Posts
    126
    Question; a friend of mine has a norinco NHM-91 that he bought 10 years or so ago, has only fired it a few times an will sell it for under $200. It seems to have a mechined receiver and is in 98% cond. Have not shot the thing, and was wondering if this would be a good bye or not ??

  12. #42
    Member Array joe/OH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cinci, OH
    Posts
    376
    Alright guys - when you are talking about these uber accurate match AK-47's - let's be honest. Are we talking about Romanian WASR's or are we talking about robarm VEPR's? Honestly - a VEPR isn't an AK - it's built on an RPK receiver and is in a class of it's own. Comparing the two isn't honest - especially when you take price into the picture.

  13. #43
    Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    1,969
    My Romanian GP WASR-10 is in no way a precision weapon. It is a very reliable and fairly well made rifle. I don't expect to win any matches with it, I can get 2-3" groupings with it, which is good enough for me to have fun and still be able to hit the target. It has yet to malfunction, and I haven't even cleaned it yet after 200 rounds. Kalashnikov's idea was to create a rifle with reliability having priority over accuracy. The AK47 is a proven design, that keeps on working, and it works for many countries around the world.

  14. #44
    VIP Member
    Array Ben Hennessy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. James, Missouri
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    My Romanian GP WASR-10 is in no way a precision weapon. It is a very reliable and fairly well made rifle. I don't expect to win any matches with it, I can get 2-3" groupings with it, which is good enough for me to have fun and still be able to hit the target. It has yet to malfunction, and I haven't even cleaned it yet after 200 rounds. Kalashnikov's idea was to create a rifle with reliability having priority over accuracy. The AK47 is a proven design, that keeps on working, and it works for many countries around the world.

    Can it be said any better!!

  15. #45
    JT
    JT is offline
    Distinguished Member Array JT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    Question; a friend of mine has a norinco NHM-91 that he bought 10 years or so ago, has only fired it a few times an will sell it for under $200. It seems to have a mechined receiver and is in 98% cond. Have not shot the thing, and was wondering if this would be a good bye or not ??
    Grab it. That’s an excellent buy. Especially for a milled receiver. It’s worth twice that. MAK-90’s are very solid and have some of the best stock triggers.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

accuracysksvsak47
,
mac 90 vs sks
,

mak 90 vs vepr

,
mak 90 vs. vepr
,
mak90 vs vepr
,

sks vs vepr

,
sks vs vepr ak for shtf
,
vepr vs mak 90
,
vepr vs mak-90
,

vepr vs sks

,
vepr vs sks accuracy
,

vepr vs wasr

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors