AK-47 and SKS

This is a discussion on AK-47 and SKS within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was thinking of these two rifles as my next purchase. I found them at j&g Sales from Arizona and can get both out the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AK-47 and SKS

AK-47 and SKS

I was thinking of these two rifles as my next purchase. I found them at j&g Sales from Arizona and can get both out the door for under six hundred. I am looking for a AR-15 in the future but I feel safe till the 2008 election. I own a mini14 223 and two 7.62x39 twice and another 223 soon might round me off any thoughts?

For SHTF and fun while we still can.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    The SKS is the ''budget'' option and once all the cosmo removed a very serviceable rifle.

The AK - some clone or other I prefer for shooting comfort and capacity - mine is SAR1 and it serves well.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Which clone/ nationality are each of the weapons. I have a Romanian WASR-10 AK clone that I bought right after the sunset of the ban with all the bells and whistles, and theres not much I'd trade it for in the sense of a SHTF rifle. A friend had a Norinco SKS that was junk. Both can be very good weapons.

Since you live in IN, and said its from AZ I assume ur doin like a FFL transfer, if you are, I'd take a look at AIMsurplus' stuff too, they usually have good prices, and Just got in some Yugo Ak's with underfolders that look good for a good price. They also have SKS's.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Rifles.html
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    IMHO The 7.62x39 is the best bang for the buck in a home defense rifle you can buy. Ammo is getting less affordable, but the AK thrives on the buget Wolf stuff that'll clog an AR. Get 'em while you still can.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Not all Norinco SKS's are junk, there was a batch that had problems with the roll pins fixing the barrel, most of those were recalled and fixed by the distrubtors. Very popular up here since the AK is banned. Tapsco makes a nice AR style stock for them, which I am thinking of getting. The 7.62x39 is a potent little round with very little recoil. The SKS D model has detachable mags which will offer you more ammo, up here all semi-auto's are restricted to 5 rds, quick to reload with a stripper clip.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    BTW. The best place I've found so far for AKs and SKSs, and 7.62x39 ammo is Classic Arms, Inc. in Indian Trail, NC

They beat both J&G and AIMSurplus on price
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Forgot to mention sks is Yugoslavian and AK-47 is Romanian

i pickup a Norinco ak-47 in .223 back in the late 80's for around $165.00. it has been one of the best shooter for the price. no problems. if you find one i think you will be happy with it. i wanted the .223 round over the ak round for the eaze of finding ammo.

VIP Member
    I have both that I have customized. The AK is the one that I would want in a battle but the SKS a much more accurate rifle. I differ from the post above. My Norinco SKS which I bought new 15-20 years ago is to me one of the best SKS there is. It also makes a good hunter. I bought it for $89 a long while back. Changing the stock over to a synthectic drang ( have no idea to spelling it lol) I have achieve much better grouping with it. Now aday there is so much out there to customize both rifles. I'm sure you will be happy with both purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    i pickup a Norinco ak-47 in .223 back in the late 80's for around $165.00. it has been one of the best shooter for the price. no problems. if you find one i think you will be happy with it. i wanted the .223 round over the ak round for the eaze of finding ammo.
    I don't get that, you choose the .223 AK over a regular 7.62 AK because of the ease of finding ammo? I shoot both calibers and there is not a gunshop I walk into that does not have 7.62x39mm ammo for cheap! 1,000 rounds will set you back $110 for the 7.62x39mm and a 500 round box of Federal 55 grain .223 will set you back around $109.
    If you wanted high velocity for you AK then you shoulda gone for the AK74 ;)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hekkenschutze View Post
    1,000 rounds will set you back $110 for the 7.62x39mm and a 500 round box of Federal 55 grain .223 will set you back around $109.

If you are not joking tell me where I can buy the 7.62x39mm round for $110 a 1000. The closes I can find around here is $175-180 for that amount.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...324-03600-7639

This works out to $153.73 per 1000. and I can get it locally.
    Life is too short to be serious!

things have gone up since I have made my last big purchase of 7.62x39mm ammo! $109 is the price I paid for 50 cases of 1,000 round packs!

Midway has them for $159 per 1,000

at AIM there are two brands (not wolf) that go for $149 per 1,000
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/7_62x39.html

and here: http://www.ammunitionstore.com/
    you can find 1,000 for $149

my my my how prices went UP! Pays to buy in bulk when times are good doesn't it? :D

VIP Member
    Not bad prices! I wonder if the price will drop even lower? I know there have been a shortage for a long time. I can still remember a 1000 rounds for less than a $100.

Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    OK I own a SKS and would never think of using it for home defense.

The 7.62 x 39 round will not stop when it hits walls. By hits walls, I mean that you could easily shoot through 3 walls in your home and still have the round go through your exterior wall.

Mine has a 30 round clip and I cannot imagine firing these rounds in my home. The possibility of the round leaving your home and entering another is very real.

For home defense find a nice defensive shotgun with a pistol grip. I would not want a long gun when turning corners in the dark and trying to be stealthy.

My first choice is a shotgun and the second is my .45.

Just my 2 cents.

We went out two weeks ago and shot through 1/2 inches of solid steel with a friends SKS. Punched a clean hole(Sorry no pics). I was very surprised. More surprising was that the hollow points penetrated the steel at a distance that the fmj wouldn't. Explain that ??? These guns are not for the home and that is for sure. I'm bet they could go through 24 pieces of wall board since a 9mm can supposedly go through 12. http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm The awesome part is this display of power turned on my woman and now she wants an SKS
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links