Would a .30-30 Lever action be a good enough GHTF rifle? - Page 2

Would a .30-30 Lever action be a good enough GHTF rifle?

This is a discussion on Would a .30-30 Lever action be a good enough GHTF rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As I remember, the 30-30 had superior ballistics to the 7.62x39 before all the new ammo came out for it. And the bullets for a ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    As I remember, the 30-30 had superior ballistics to the 7.62x39 before all the new ammo came out for it.

And the bullets for a 30-30 aren't ball or non-expanding hollowpoints (like the 7.62x39) but honest to god hunting rounds designed to both expand and penetrate tissue.

For most shooters, the recovery time is dominated by reaquiring the target after the gun recoils, not how fast the action operates.

A 30-30 is going to be more limited in capacity, but no one ever complains about shotguns being equally limited.

The levergun is honestly the first iteration of the current day assault rifle (as in an actual assault rifle not a Klinton assault weapon). It was designed to toss a lot of lead quickly and to have a faster follow up shot. It works just as well now as it ever has.

There are a lot of people who can't afford or even have anything else besides all that.

If price is the issue however, the same $350+ some new leverguns cost gets you a Romak. Then again I cannot dare to deny the appeal, power, and utility of a modestly used thuddy thuddy at the $250 or less mark.

To me a big issue is where do you want to store it? Leverguns are thing and slender and go anywhere. An AK or AR is like a beer keg with 1000 different things sticking out of it at every conceivable angle.

My GHTF gun is my AR15 since I have all the replacement parts and can do all repairs in the field on it. But I do keep a repeater in my truck because it's not so expensive I'd be sad to lose it, and it's a darn site better than a pile of rocks.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Many of the same techniques used to run a combat shotgun can be easily adapted to run a levergun.

I have an AK and an SKS, but I prefer my Marlin 336. I'm quite certain that it will be able to handle pretty much situation that I could find myself facing.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Pax's # 3 was going to be my main point. Check out Marlin's new XLR series of rifles: http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/xlr/default.aspx
    They are designed to take full advantage of Hornady's Leverevolution ammo. It's a very sweet looking rifle too. I think the only thing an AK has over the lever guns is follow-up time and reloading time. This might make it unacceptable as a SHTF weapon. I guess it all depends of your skill level and shooting styles (not to mention requirements for a SHTF rifle). At any rate, I will be buying my first rifle early next year, and it will be a Marlin 336A. Not necessarily a SHTF weapon, but it will be a defensive weapon in addition to being a sporting rifle. The Winchester Repeating Rifle is the "gun that won the west". Even though technology has advanced, it is still an effective weapon. I hope my rambling has shed some light on the subject (or at least given you something to think about).
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

I'll keep this simple ..............

It ain't the gun,
    It's the man behind it that counts.
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

In a SHTF senario ammo or the lack of it will be the highest priority so each shot counts. With a leveraction if I shoot 3 I can load 3, shoot 8 load 8, shoot 2 load 2. If one is used to a lever action the rifle never really goes empty. You can always top of the magazine without having to remove anything or have the chamber open.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    Lots of us folk have taken deer at over 100yds with our trusty 30-30 levers, with a single shot. Don't sell the 30-30 lever short, granted it doesn't have the quick follow up an AK does, but in the hands of a good shooter it will do the job.
    +1... and with the new Hornaday leverlution sp? you can be accurate and deadly to 200 yds....
    so 50 yds and a single deer is totally inaccurate and isn't a knowledgeable statement
    I think the 30 30 lever would be a good GTHF firearm. and concealed carry magazine had an article about it a few months back. Like someone said...it is a hunting/cowboy gun, and isn't threatening like an 'assualt' firearm...
    The only problem I could see it the magazine capacity...
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I pondered over this same question prior to purchasing my 336W a couple months ago. Did a lot of research, both in person and on the Internet. Bought the 30-30. I wasn't looking for something that'll shoot into the next county, 150 yards is farther than I can reliably see now-a-days anyway.

From what I've found, it can work for anything from squirrel to small/medium bear - with the right loads. Reloading is a skill I'm going to learn ASAP.

In a SHFT scenario, I'm assuming (yep, I know what that means ) that I won't have to face more than 6 or 7 at one time. If so, well, I'm practicing fast reloading with a partially full mag. And after the first couple fall, the rest just might start looking for cover or leave the area.

Well don't forget, it'll probably be more useful to you as a brush gun, than a SHTF rifle. Something you can sling across your back, accidently drop while climbing a fence, throw into the back of your pickup. You don't have to worry about breaking that rifle.
    Last edited by razorblade; December 3rd, 2006 at 04:13 AM.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    Well don't forget, it'll probably be more useful to you as a brush gun, than a SHTF rifle. Something you can sling across your back, accidently drop while climbing a fence, throw into the back of your pickup. You don't have to worry about breaking that rifle.
    By that definition an AK or an SKS is also a brush gun.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    A lever action will serve you well for whatever purpose from bagging whitetails to defending yourself. You don't have to have an semi-auto rifle for a SHTF situation. As long as you are proficient and train yourself for quick follow-ups you should be in good shape. Also work on transitioning from your rifle to your pistol quickly for situations where you may have a jam, run out of ammo, or close quarters where you may need a faster rate of fire.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

You can operate a lever action faster than you think. I found this video online, some random dude shooting his lever action as fast as he can. http://youtube.com/watch?v=aWwQdxm_miU
    Mind you, he's using 357, not 30-30. That might be the cause of his quick follow ups. Whether or not he's aiming, or actually acquiring the front sight for each shot is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    By that definition an AK or an SKS is also a brush gun.
    It sounds better than calling an AK an assault rifle

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Try to find video of Richard "Tequilla" Young.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    It sounds better than calling an AK an assault rifle
    +1 on that
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links