Hog hunting

This is a discussion on Hog hunting within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm not a big hunter, in fact that is an understatement I don't hunt at all. Grey tree rats are the only thing I have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Hog hunting

Hog hunting

I'm not a big hunter, in fact that is an understatement I don't hunt at all. Grey tree rats are the only thing I have ever killed on a regular basis. I've never shot a deer, rabbit or turkey. However, hogs are becoming a problem in our area and I think I want to hunt them. Problem, I only have 2 rifles and I'm not sure either is really suited for wild hog hunting.

I have an ar15 and ak47. Some tell me neither is large enough, some tell both would be fine. Anyone had any experience hunt hogs with either?

2. Remove Ads

I know people who hog hunt with ar-15s

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Hog hunting

I hunt with a 14.5" AR usually using TSX 70gr. Anyone that tells you it's not enough to drop them dead right there is simply wrong. I've killed around 100 or so, most with 5.56, out to 250 yards, though typically at 10 to 75 yards. Never had a problem when I hit them where needed. If I didn't hit them right, a 308 wouldn't have helped.

Google hog anatomy. It's different than most think which accounts for most loses of the hog and erroneous claims of bullet/caliber inferiority.

There's an m4carbine thread I'll link that'll show you all the proof you need. Search through the many page thread and you'll see some 400 pound hogs. Occasionally he does use a 308 but most is 5.56.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=94628

Read this on hog anatomy. Notice where the heart, lungs and spine are in relation to the leg, shoulder and back. Compare to a deer and I kill see how many will blame the bullet for not dropping the "bullet proof" hog!

http://www.chasinbacon.com/articles/...ing/_Anatomy_4

Here's a few pic of some small to medium hogs all killed quickly with 5.56.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2492587...7632850883813/

Having said all that, I do miss hunting with my SCAR H. Eventually I'll pick up another semi auto 308 with a Leupold mk6 since I occasionally face some longer shots than expected. I'll usually max at 200 to 250 with my AR depending on optic, which is usually a T1.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Both would be fine. The AR, shot placement will be more crucial for DRT. I use a 30/30 which ballisticaly is about the same as the 7.62x39 AK. The AK will be fine as well. I live in TX and hog hunt regularly and I have seen both ARs and AKs used, but a true hunting rifle would be a better choice.
    oneshot likes this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Either would be fine, I lived in Ga for 5 years an we took many hogs with our AR's had an EOtech 512 red dot an it was great out to 100 yds they sometimes ran a ways but most were head shots. Lots of fun my brother in law had one of those giant bbqs you pull behind a pickup he did wild game catering the young hogs tasted great.

Neither one of those are of my preference, but both of them will work and have done well. If I were to have to chose between the two I would go with the AK.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Never been hog hunting (or anything hunting for that matter), but pork chops sure are delicious. Ill supply the gun and the ammo if anyone wants to give me 1/2 the meat!

Hog hunting

Telling anyone that's doubtful to read that thread I linked if my 100 or so dead hogs isn't enough. 5.56 is more than capable of dropping big hogs where they stand. Just use the right bullet like the 70gr TSX.

Equally important is understanding that the boy's anatomy is quite different than deer. The heart is behind the notch of the leg below the shoulder. The spine is many inches below the back. The lungs are also very far forward. Many people, and I've seen this many times, sill shoot behind the shoulder and not hit the vitals.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member
    Never hunted nor ate a pig but I do have a giant bores head hung on the wall that was my brothers. Love to decorate it, hats and earrings. You can take it's tongue out, makes for great practical jokes!
    StormRhydr and bmcgilvray like this.
    GOA Member
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

I can beat Chuck808's offer.... take me and you can have all the meat!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    Never been hog hunting (or anything hunting for that matter), but pork chops sure are delicious. Ill supply the gun and the ammo if anyone wants to give me 1/2 the meat!

VIP Member
    Both will work, as has been stated.

If those are what you have, then use them.
    I have an SKS, but would opt for the 30.06.
    Now if Mi. ever starts to get pigs running out of the woodwork, I may opt for more rounds in a magazine and go with the SKS.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    Give Ted a call maybe he help you out with your chop addiction. Texas turns to Ted Nugent to control feral pig epidemic - Washington Times

Cost you a lot more than a gun and ammo for my pork chops!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    I also hog hunt with an AR and, as jonconsiglio said, it'll work just fine but you do need to know where to hit 'em. Ammo choice is also important. Like jonconsiglio, I also use 70 gr. TSX on them. I wouldn't really recommend 55 gr. FMJs and most certainly don't try to use something like V-max or anything else that's made for varmints. Shooting hogs is not like shooting coyotes. Hogs are quite a bit tougher, which makes your shots less forgiving.

I won't disagree that a larger caliber would be 'better' but shot placement is pretty important regardless. If you hit them in the right spot, they'll die; don't and they probably won't.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Take 'em both & pig out!
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Never hunted nor ate a pig but I do have a giant bores head hung on the wall that was my brothers. Love to decorate it, hats and earrings. You can take it's tongue out, makes for great practical jokes!
    You've never had bacon? You're missing out!

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links