red dot and scope together on AR?

This is a discussion on red dot and scope together on AR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I did a search but couldn't find this, but think this has to be have been covered before. If so, pls redirect me. Anyway, title ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jonconsiglio
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: red dot and scope together on AR?

I did a search but couldn't find this, but think this has to be have been covered before. If so, pls redirect me.

Anyway, title says it all. I would like to have both a scope and red dot on rail(s) at the same time. Is this possible/practical?

When shooting 100yds, I really can't see with red dot, and would like to use the scope. At 50, red dot is fine.

If this is practical, any pics would help as well. I do know that mounting one on a quick release is an option, but was hoping to find a way around that. thanks for any advice.

I would not put them in line. Generally, there's two options. First is to put both in QD mounts like LaRue or ADM. The second option is to offset your red dot. This works best with an Aimpoint T1 or H1, or a Trijicon mini RMR. The T1 would be my choice. You can do this with irons as well.

The other option is a true 1-4 or 1-6 carnivals optic like those offered by Leupold, S&B, USO, Trijicon now and a number of others. These can get pricey.

Still, I wouldn't put them in line and I really don't see how that could do you any good unless you remove the scope.

I used to run an Aimpoint with a 3x magnifier behind it but have moved away from that option.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Leupold Mark 4 HAMR 4x24mm Fixed Power Riflescope FREE S&H 111412, 110995, 114488. Leupold Mark 4 Rifle Scopes, Leupold Red Dot Sights.

Leupole Mark 4 HAMR is what you want, it's spendy, but the red dot is "motion on", so if it's leaning against a wall for 15 minutes, the red dot turns off, once you pick it up, it turns on. It's optimized for .223 as well. It's a red-dot sitting on top of a scope.

But it's spendy.

Administrator
    Nice but, doggone pricy little bugger.
    BaldSasq likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    If you're trying to build one rifle that "does everything" it doesn't exist. If you want a red dot for CQB on a carbine and want some magnification, you can get a 3X magnifier that flips out of the way for a red dot.
    If you want a long range precision rifle, go with a good scope.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

I have a SightMark Sightmark Sure Shot Reflex Sight with Quick-Detach Mount : Cabela's mounted on top of a Nikon P-223 Nikon P-223 Riflescope : Cabela's

It works but I wouldn't call the setup ideal.

That Leupole Mark 4 HAMR posted up above is nice but ouch on that price tag.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Check out Burris skulltaq it is a scope with a red dot mounted on top and it only runs about 600.00. I don't have it yet but have been looking at it hard.
    William Wallace: There's a difference between us. You think the people of this country exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom. And I go to make sure that they have it.

I think this was something covered on (Student of the gun), You can google the site and they have an archive, section I have been thinking about doing this also
    Midway sells a 45 degree offset for the top rail, for just this reason.

RKM
    I used to use a flip-to-side magnifier that worked really well. It's there when you want it, or flip it off to the side when you don't. I eventually took it off altogether because it made the rifle heavy and bulky. Otherwise, I think it's a great option.

VIP Member
    I have run this set up before and it works pretty well. You get a good cheek weld for the scope and if you need to do some up close work you just roll the gun a little and the red dot is right there. It's fast and it looks clean too.

ar4.jpg

AR 2.jpg

AR 3.jpg

ETA: I'm a lefty. That's why it's on the left side.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Links