Scope Recomendation for an AR15 M4 5.56/223

This is a discussion on Scope Recomendation for an AR15 M4 5.56/223 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just wondering what the most powerful scope i would need for my AR would be. Taking in consideration the effective range of the weapon. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Scope Recomendation for an AR15 M4 5.56/223

Just wondering what the most powerful scope i would need for my AR would be. Taking in consideration the effective range of the weapon. I have an assortment of shells for this gun including Ball, 855 green tips, and some hollow points. It is carbine length, so I feel that the effective range isnt super long like a sniping rifle. Just wanted to hear some opinions. Thanks, Jim
    1911 responds much quicker than 911

VIP Member
    It would depend on your intended use. I have a 10X optic on one AR and a red dot on another. If you are looking at a middle of the road/do it all optic I'd look into a good 1X4 or a 2X7 variable powered scope.

Some suggestions:

Nikon P-300 Blackout Rifle Scope 2-7x 32mm Super-Sub Reticle Matte

Leupold VX Hog Rifle Scope 1-4x 20mm Pig Plex Reticle Matte

Nikon M-223 Rifle Scope 1-4x 20mm BDC 600 Reticle Matte

Redfield Revolution Rifle Scope 2-7x 33mm Accu-Range Reticle Matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/970...vc=subv1338333
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

man size target: 1-4x max magnification or red dot type optic.
    coyote size target: 9-12x max magnification.
    prairie dog size target: 14-20x max magnification

The 223/5.56 turns into a turd beyond 500 yards- it can shoot farther but so many other calibers out perform it at 500 yards that my belief is the real world put bullets where you want them tops out at 500 yards with an AR.

Reticle selection is just as important as magnification and last I would rather have a lower magnification high end scope than a high magnification low end scope.

With glass you do get what you pay for and its easy to get carried away.

I have a mid grade scope on my varmint AR. A Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20x50 with mil-dot reticle and it works for me.

Your next problem will be chosing a scope mount for the AR15.

I have a Nikon P-223 and it is OK for the money. It depends on how you want to use it. With the low power magnification, there is no way you could lock in on a target 600 yrds away as advertised.

Nikon P-223 Rifle Scope 3x 32mm 1/2 MOA Adjustments BDC Carbine

I put an A2 carry handle on it just for the iron sight capability. I've had scopes fog up on my other rifles, and since this is mainly a SHTF rifle I dont want to loose that capability. I do plan to shoot it to be sure im effective with it. Whatever I get i would like to be able to mount it on the A2 if possible. Im thinking something smallish, but effective to that 500 yd capability of the rifle. Jim

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Tough to go wrong with the Nikon 223 series as others have said.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

just looked at the Nikon 223's and they are very nice and a bit out of my price range at the moment. Jim

VIP Member
    Nikon P-223 Nikon P-223 Riflescope : Cabela's

If it is out of your price range, hold off on making the purchase until you have saved enough money to get what you want. Don't buy a scope just to buy a scope so that you can say you own a scope. Good things come to those who wait.
    atctimmy and warbirds like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassindude View Post
    I put an A2 carry handle on it just for the iron sight capability. I've had scopes fog up on my other rifles, and since this is mainly a SHTF rifle I dont want to loose that capability. I do plan to shoot it to be sure im effective with it. Whatever I get i would like to be able to mount it on the A2 if possible. Im thinking something smallish, but effective to that 500 yd capability of the rifle. Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Nikon P-223 Nikon P-223 Riflescope : Cabela's

If it is out of your price range, hold off on making the purchase until you have saved enough money to get what you want. Don't buy a scope just to buy a scope so that you can say you own a scope. Good things come to those who wait.
    1) You don't put a scope on a carry handle. If you scope it the scope is the primary sight. You can add a back up iron sight if you want one.

2) If you can't afford a Nikon scope then you should just use your irons until you can.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Sponsor
    I've experimented with a number of optics on an AR-15, While I really love Irons and find them a blast to shoot with I like the increased hit probability that comes with a good optic. I've tried red dot style optics, 3x9 scopes, and 1-4x scopes. My current favorite is a 1-4x (or 1-6x if you have the cash) with an illuminated reticle.

A quality set of irons, either folding or fixed cowitness is my top priority, long before buying optics if limited on funds, currently I use folding troy battle sights on one rifle and fixed Daniel defense rear on another.

I like the 1-4x optic because its fairly quick on 1x (not as quick as a RDS because it still requires proper eye position). If your battery dies, no big deal, you still have a standard black reticle. at 4x, 300 yard shots on a 10" target is easy (Especially if you are used to 300 yard shots with irons).

Currently, I'm of the mindset that for me the speed advantage of an RDS doesn't beat the high cost for quality and requirement for batteries. Since I'm not kicking in doors for a living, I feel I would be better served with irons, and cash spent on ammo (or a good weapon mounted light if you don't have one). I haven't found an RDS to give me an advantage at longer ranges. I can actually make more hits at 300 yards with irons than I can an RDS.

a 3-9x optic is a nice option if you expect longer ranges, one critical advantage is the huge number of scopes available in that range for reasonable prices. However for me I don't like sacrificing close in capability. I could never get used to shooting close range (inside of 25 yards) at 3x, however maybe this could be overcome with training.

The 1-4x scopes are still a compromise, but for my intended use for my rifle I think they fit the bill. I currently use a burris MTAC but would like to upgrade in the future (I have my eye on the SWFA SS 1-6x). But that's going to be a while I have a hard time spending $800 on optics when I really enjoy shooting Irons (that kind of money can get me a long way into a new and very nice rifle build).

This is just my opinion and what I think works best for me. I think everyone who has an AR should atleast try a 1-4x scope at some point to see if they like it.

Good luck! And if you don't have a good set of irons yet that should be a top priority.

-Clay

Mission dictates gear. So what is your mission? What do you want your AR set up to do?

For a fighting rifle, Id go with an aimpoint, or an eotech. I like aimpoint better, but they are both good.

If it were my gun, my first optic would be a good quality multi use piece of glass. I am fond of Nikon and Leupold glass, and something in the 4x range would fit the bill nicely. a 4x scope is good for utility purposes, as it is good for defensive purposes, but also makes a great hunting as well.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

My purposes are coyote and wabbits first, and HD second.

So I opted for the Leupold 1.5-4X20 in a Burris quick detach mount, with Troy folding BUIS.

I like it. The low power is good enough for rapid, close range shots and 4 power is good enough for wascawy wabbits and load development.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

M-223 600BDC works for my needs.

I'd like a Zeiss, but the Nikon was more in my price range/works well
    MJ54 likes this.
    R.M.G.O.-Member
    NRA-Life Member

I've put a few different scopes onto a Stag 3L 5.56mm and a Remington 700 .243. Basically, the .223 goes decently out to 200yds, 300yds max; while the .243 can reach to 600yds+, effectively. With my eyes being a bit less than 20:20, I find brighter optics and a bit more magnification helps. Out to 200yds, ~10-12x power seems appropriate, though up to 20x helps see each and every little hole. Out to 300yds, 20x also works fine, but at 600yds I have really appreciated the 8-32x50mm scope (a simple Vortex Crossfire).

My suggestion for the 5.56mm round, if your eyes are 20:20: consider something in the 9-12x range. Nikon, Leupold or similar, known for the clarity and optics, ideally in 50mm for light gathering. If your eyes need a bit more oomph, consider something up to 20x or 24x. A variable scope will allow you to deal with 50yds as well as 200-300yds, without the need to change scopes.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links