The Jet Comp AR compensator-when you need to shoot fast and accurate-pics & vids

The Jet Comp AR compensator-when you need to shoot fast and accurate-pics & vids

This is a discussion on The Jet Comp AR compensator-when you need to shoot fast and accurate-pics & vids within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Jet Comp was designed, and I think it would fair and accurate to say 'meticulously' developed, by DR Middlebrooks, owner/operator of Tactical Shooting Academy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: The Jet Comp AR compensator-when you need to shoot fast and accurate-pics & vids

Senior Moderator

The Jet Comp was designed, and I think it would fair and accurate to say 'meticulously' developed, by DR Middlebrooks, owner/operator of Tactical Shooting Academy (TSA).

Before I go further, let me address why we might want a compensator on a low recoiling AR (.223/5.56). Someone wrote it succinctly and I can't improve on it so, "For the next shot!". Although an AR (.223/5.56) is truly a low recoiling gun, it moves more than you might think. We just generally don't notice it. I videoed this fellow at the range shooting my AR with the Jet Comp and another very similar AR with a flash hider. I shot the vids at 5 times the normal speed to get a good slow motion look at recoil. From these videos I 'grabbed two frames of each gun. One was the frame before the shot broke, the second was at the peak of the recoil. I then edited the two pics and put a white line down the centerline of the gun so we could clearly see muzzle rise. I superimposed these 'freeze action frames' over each other and found this, first the flash hider gun:

Notice in the above pic, the muzzle rise, it's not a lot, but it's more than enough to move the red dot well off the target. Look at his head - notice how much his head has been 'recoiled' rearward!

Now here's the same guy shooting the AR with the Jet Comp:

Notice in the above pic that the white lines are on top of each other, indicating very little muzzle rise, and equally important, notice his head, shoulder, and arm! They've hardly moved at all!

Now, lets address a couple of issues to remove any doubt of the validity of the pics. First, could I have misaligned them? Answer - no. The camera was on a tripod and never moved. Also notice the structure, especially the framing steel - if the pics were misaligned, you would see a shadow or 'ghost' effect on stationary objects.

Second, are the frames legit? Yes, they are taken from one shot. I grabbed the frame right before the break and moved forward one frame at a time until I saw the peak of the recoil and grabbed that frame.

Before I continue with the Jet Comp, I want to explain what attracted me to this particular brand. I've used the TSA Pro Sights on my G17 gen 4 for quite a while now and there simply is some magic in the sight. It's fast to acquire, and both fast and accurate to shoot with. After shooting many rounds with the Pro Sight, for me the difference in a Pro Sight and just about all other sights, is that the Pro Sight looks like a post where other sights look like a bump. There are two reasons for this. One, the front sight is a bit taller, but when you combine that with a deep V rear sight, the sight jumps out at you. They are as accurate as they are fast. I know, I do a lot of bench mark shooting just so I can objectively measure things. In addition, there's a certain amount of shootability that's hard to explain, but it is detectible when shooting. That's the magic I was talking about.

Soooo....I said all that to say this: based on my previous experience with TSA products, when I learned they are now selling an AR compensator, I knew I wanted one. Before I get to the particulars of the Jet Comp, for those that might be new to the AR world, etc. let me touch on the difference between a compensator and a flash suppressor (also called a flash hider).

Here's what a typical flash hider looks like and this is what comes on just about every AR you find in local gunshops:

The purpose of the flash hider, or more accurately perhaps, flash disruptor, is to direct bright burning gases away from the muzzle in about five different directions. Without the flash hider, we would get a BIG ball-like, very bright, muzzle flash - our night vision would be gone after one blast. So, the flash hider breaks up the flash and sends it in five (five slot types - most common) different directions, with each 'starburst' being far less brilliant than the bare muzzle would produce. That's all it does.

A compensator, sometimes called a muzzle brake, diverts the flash also, but its primary purpose is to reduce muzzle lift and rearward recoil. Here's a pic of the Jet Comp compensator I installed on one of my ARs:

I think the pics above show how effective the Jet Comp is at reducing recoil.

There are probably four things we want to consider about a compensator:

1- does it work
    2- does it affect accuracy/precision in an adverse way
    3- how much reflected muzzle blast does it generate
    4- how long will it last.

I'm going to address these in the next post, in the mean time, enjoy some fun videos: In these vids, the purpose was to see what the Jet Comp could do, hence, I made little attempt to manage recoil via stance, etc. Nor do I make an attempt to set any kind of shooting records, although....

The next vid is just excerpts from a number of clips I shot - to, well, errr, it was just simply FUN! I put in some split times just for reference in a couple of the clips - I got them from the shot signatures on the audio track of the vid. I took the vids with two different cameras and one didn't separate the sound well enough to measure.

I have to provide the link to the second vid; only 1 vid can be embedded in a post.

Fun shoooting an AR-Jet Comp-another version-1280x720x60p - YouTube
    warbirds likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Senior Moderator
    In the first post, I stated there are probably four things we want to consider about a compensator:

1- does it work
    2- does it affect accuracy/precision in an adverse way
    3- how much reflected muzzle blast does it generate
    4- how long will it last

Time to look at each one:

Does it work
    I think the pics show the effectiveness, and I've seen it first hand. It's hard to describe in words and/or pics/vids what it's like shooting with the Jet Comp. But when you look through the optics or irons and see the sight staying on target, you know something special is going on. I had some pretty high expectations from the Jet Comp and it delivered.

Does it affect accuracy in an adverse way
    Simply - no, if anything it improves precision a bit. And here, I think the term, precision' is the more appropriate term. Accuracy is a measure of how far each bullet is from the intended point of impact. Precision is completely independent of POI and specifies how tightly a gun can shoot. What I wanted to know is how tight the gun would shoot with the Jet Comp compared to how tight it shot before I put the Jet Comp on. I had shot this particular AR a LOT and on the same range at the same range (50 yards), so I had a good idea what the rifle would do before I put the compensator on. Unfortunately, I don't have 'before' pics but I do have the following pics of targets shot with the Jet Comp installed. All are shot at 50 yards, well except the hostage - I shot her at 25 yards to see how high the POI would be with the gun zeroed at 50 yards.

The ShootNC is the 'sighting in' target. I was using a Burris AR-332 with what Burris calls their Ballistic CQ 5.56 reticle. I really like this optic and the reticle. As you watch the video, realize the three shots in the triangular group were sighting in shots. The group in the orange bullseye was the confirmation the scope was sighted in. Also, 'target' type targets are deceiving, so at the end of the vid, I shoot a graphic target:

My conclusion, based on much prior experience with this gun and scope, is that the gun is a bit more precise with the Jet Comp than it was as stock.

Reflected muzzle blast
    Some have already asked about this, before I could get this posted. As the shooter, I thought it was just a bit louder. However, when I asked the guy who shot both the stock and compensated guns, he thought the Jet Comp produced a lower sound level than the stock set up.

I only use muffs (as opposed to plugs and muffs) on the outdoor range and I don't notice it being noticeable. In fact, my Remington 700 bolt is far louder than my AR with the Jet Comp. And, I really can't say the Jet Comp increases the sound level at the shooter's position. If it does at all it's slight.

How long will it last
    It means a lot to me that DR very mindfully selected materials and coatings to prolong service life. Let's consider the problem. Anything stuck on the end of a AR barrel is attacked by high temperature, high pressure, high velocity gas and particles. It's kind of like high temperature sand blasting. The steel alloys and coatings used in the Jet Comp are very resistant to the 'etching' effect the hot gases etc. have on metals. They also prevent corrosion of the metal.

That means a lot to me. I understand what these hot gases can do to metal, even if it is steel. When we lay down our money, it's nice to know what we're buying is designed to have a long service life. That's one of the reasons I've put off getting a compensator - until now, I've had no way to know how much effort went into the selection of steel alloys, etc. to give it a long service life.

I saved this for last. If you want to put anything on the end of an AR barrel, you'll need a barrel clamp or you'll need to take the AR and Jet Comp to a gunsmith that has a barrel clamp. I made one on my lathe and milling machine that worked well. It's pretty easy to get the flash hider off, but getting the compensator on can be trying. You have to clamp the barrel and barrel clamp in a big vice and really tighten it down. Did I mention really tight? You have to compress a washer to get the compensator in the correct orientation on the barrel. This is a pretty tough job I thought. If you don't have the tools, I recommend you let a gunsmith install it.

That may be a sweet deal on my buddys M16 very little muzzle rise on FA may be able to keep a 30 round mag in the 9/10 rings.
    What is the noise level compared to a factory flash hider
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Great write up. Thanks.

Tangle - This looks nice. Have you ever used the BattleComp 1.0? I've been doing some research lately and have been leaning towards that model. Just wondering if you had any "apples to apples comparison" information - even if it was somewhat anecdotal in nature. The Jet Comp is about $50 less than the BattleComp, and that is nice. Just curious.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Shot an M-16 for 10 years and never had a problem shooting fast and accurate. Good body position, timing and you can put a lot of rounds down range quickly and right where you want them to go. I prefer practice over tech, but I do like practice with TECH!!!

The muzzle rise reduction is cool, but I'm with Duk - what's the noise level like? I've only shot one AR with a brake and hated shooting it and especially being next to it.

Senior Moderator
    JIC - I've posted the second post and answered the 'loud' question - didn't want you to miss that.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I run a break on my precision AR. I don't see how focusing all the gas towards the marksman can be anything other than punishing. The first time out with mine I had tinnitus with plugs in. The second I wore muffs over the plugs, and of course it worked. Really, a can on an AR throws more sound downrange than it muffles.

I wouldn't suggest it for anything other than your distance AR, but the principal is sound (pun intended). Anyone who is considering increasing their accuracy on their follow up shots will be satisfied with the results. My AR barrel is a Barrett, and he set it up thusly for the same reasons. Just get a great set of muffs or double up.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Another gimmick of no real use.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    I run a break on my precision AR. I don't see how focusing all the gas towards the marksman can be anything other than punishing. The first time out with mine I had tinnitus with plugs in. The second I wore muffs over the plugs, and of course it worked. Really, a can on an AR throws more sound downrange than it muffles.

I wouldn't suggest it for anything other than your distance AR, but the principal is sound (pun intended). Anyone who is considering increasing their accuracy on their follow up shots will be satisfied with the results. My AR barrel is a Barrett, and he set it up thusly for the same reasons. Just get a great set of muffs or double up.
    All compensators must not be created equally then, because the Jet Comp does nothing like you describe. One guy I asked to shoot both guns (Jet Comp and flash hider versions) said, without hesitation, the common, 5 slot, flash hider was louder than the Jet Comp. I've shot hundreds of rounds through the Jet Comp and the sound is just not a problem at all. If one were standing beside it, he/she would get an ear full, but for me as the shooter, it's just not a problem.

I've heard people say compensators are loud, and many may be, but I couldn't call the Jet Comp loud in any sense.

Distinguished Member
    I'm pretty new to ARs. If I put the Jet Comp on my AR and I decide I don't like it, can it be removed without damaging the barrel? Assuming a competent gunsmith does both install and removal. Could he then put the stock flash suppressor back on again? Excuse my ignorance. Thanks for the post and vids. Seems like a nice product.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Another gimmick of no real use.
    Have you ever shot an AR with a compensator? Jerry Miculek is lighting fast and accurate with an AR, I have his DCD set - he runs a compensator on his AR. So do all the top 3 gun competitors.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    I'm pretty new to ARs. If I put the Jet Comp on my AR and I decide I don't like it, can it be removed without damaging the barrel? Assuming a competent gunsmith does both install and removal. Could he then put the stock flash suppressor back on again? Excuse my ignorance. Thanks for the post and vids. Seems like a nice product.
    Hey man, no need to apologize at all - that's what forums like this are for - we all can learn if we're willing to.

The answer is yes. It just screws on and off - it sounds so simple when you say it that fast It's pretty hard turning it that last 3/4 turn or so. But yes you could take it off and put the flash hider back on. It's just not something everyone has the right tools to do 'at home'.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    That certainly may be, because the Barrett throws the gasses back and out of the sides, and yours looks like more is coming out of the top.

Really, with all the truly useless gadgets people festoon their ARs with, at least breaks do what they're supposed to and work. It's not going to change your life, but I can certainly see it for people who want to rapid fire and call it something other than suppression fire...
    Tangle likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links