For next year: The idiot proof AR15

This is a discussion on For next year: The idiot proof AR15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Having forayed into the realm of the evil black rifle earlier this year and actually being amazed something I pop riveted together actually works even ...

Having forayed into the realm of the evil black rifle earlier this year and actually being amazed something I pop riveted together actually works even if the mag catch seems a bit off for some reason I am considering for next year building what I am calling an idiot proof AR15.

My current configuration is a mutt homebrewed gun with a DPMS lower, 6 position collapsible stock, Stag Arms flat top upper with 16" barrel, and the only accessories are an Eotech 512 (which works great for me), a 3 point sling, and I plan to add a light at some point just debating how much money I should spend on it.

I love this rifle mostly because it's so short and it's probably more than adequate for my personal needs. But it does fail in a couple of ways. First, I would like a 20" upper for flexibility to switch between the 16" and 20". Second, while I do like my Eotech, I find I like the carry handle iron sights better than the iron sights I use with my Eotech. Thing is, if the Eotech goes down, I'm left with serviceable but not my favorite sights. Third, unless you get a Magpul or something, there's a lot of slop in a collapsible stock. While it seems all AR15s with the CAR stocks have that slop in them, I don't like the feel. However I put up with it because I like the adjustability.

What I am considering for my next one is a 20" government profile that will probably also be a flat top, but I plan to use A2 iron sights. I thought about going A1 sights, but decided to stick with A2's after all. I considered a dedicated carry handle upper but I think I'd still go flat top. The thing about a flat top is even if you do plan to exclusively use irons, you can always change your mind later.
    Fixed A2 butt stock. Basically, real simple. I'd put a sling on it, probably a single point sling just to keep it as simple as possible. Leave the toys and gadgets off.

Well okay maybe a bayonet to take advantage of the government profile.

I haven't seen anything to indicate for my purposes if I'd be better off with the HBAR commercial pseudo government style profile, or if I should pony up for an authentic government profile. Since I'm not going for some kind of retro look, I don't know what a spec government profile would actually accomplish other than necessitating I get the rifle from CMMG.

I have the luxury of being able to wait a very long time (I want it before March 2008 however) and plan to just save for it. Still I'd like this project to come in at a grand or less, because I want to scoop up training and magazines and ammo while I still can.

I'm debating between building and buying. Thing is, a lot of makers make a rifle that would work, and I don't know if the savings are there for building this. Building my last one worked out because I couldn't find just exactly what I wanted, and it did save me some money (enough to get the Eotech!).

What say you?

Senior Moderator
    If you go basic I really don't know how much you will save. You can get a cheaper forged MEGA lower if you don't mind the lower not matching anything. I've seen what you are talking about at around $750-$800. It will probably cost that much to build one if you use good parts. I got lucky on an FN-FAL becuase I could get a surplus parts kit for $200 and a lower for $150, I don't think you can find that same bargin on an AR.

VIP Member
    Build....it's fun!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean View Post
    Third, unless you get a Magpul or something, there's a lot of slop in a collapsible stock. While it seems all AR15s with the CAR stocks have that slop in them, I don't like the feel. However I put up with it because I like the adjustability.
    I thought this too...I have a 6-pos RRA stock that I had heard very good things about. I picked it up from legal-transfers on ar15.com (www.ar15sales.com) it's not the least expensive but it's far from the most expensive. I think it was $73 shipped with buffer, tube, and stock. Solid as a rock and zero play in it. I currently have it mounted on an 870 and it doesn't go anywhere even with the heavier recoil so I would give my recomendation to that if you like the CAR style stocks.

I've heard that every once in a blue moon, you will find a stock which doesn't quite have as much slop in it. Thing is, yours is tight, but is the next one that rolled off the assembly line?

Lead Moderator
    I am considering for next year building what I am calling an idiot proof AR15.
    You do realize that if you do build an "idiot proof AR15", someone will build a better idiot? Right?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Haha. Well it's only idiot proof in that I believe the 20" barrel means that FMJ ammunition will perform better more often than not, and it's just going to be a simple rifle.

I do think there is value in adding accessories to these rifles, but I think there's value in a simpler setup too. I want both.

Haha. Well it's only idiot proof in that I believe the 20" barrel means that FMJ ammunition will perform better more often than not, and it's just going to be a simple rifle.

I do think there is value in adding accessories to these rifles, but I think there's value in a simpler setup too. I want both.
    you know, I really like the Stoner Platform in that I can have a nice full lower but have many uppers that serve many purposes. Doing so literally turns one gun into many.

You could have the A3 M4 upper
    or the Flat top 20 incher for longer distances
    or a 1 inch diameter 16 inch barrel for deer hunting
    or your 12 inch upper that you have registered SBR
    you could even have an upper that uses belt fed ammo

OR...you could...

it is endless but my point here is that you can change the intended purpose of your AR just my changing the upper and this is ONE of of many reasons I love the Stoner Rifle. (and why I like Thompson Center)

Yeah but if I want to put a different upper with a different stock, I might as well put another lower into the mix rather than have to fumble around with parts and pieces every time I want to switch from one to the other...

JT
    As for the barrel, have you considered a fluted H-BAR? That’s what I have, and I love it. Better accuracy with about the same weight as a standard barrel, plus better heat dissipation.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Okay look up these parts, I think they may solve your problems...

Magpul CTR (I think) goes on stock 6 pos tube and is very solid, runs about $100

LaRue Eotech mount- raises it up about 1/4" but you can still get a lower 1/3 cowitness. Pops right off if you want to use iron sights and holds zero, runs about $120

LaRue, LMT or RRA solid A2 backup sight- does not fold, but with the eotech mount, it is not in the way. Offers a sight picture like a carry handle

With the exception of the magpul stock, this is how my AR is set up and it works for me extremely well. Let me know if you have any questions about the stuff. It may seem a bit expensive, but it may save you from having to get another upper.
    Oh yeah, check out Pentagon lights for inexpensive weapon lights.

Lead Moderator
    What did you pop rivet on your AR? A simple 20" sounds good.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links