Non-rotational pins for AR?

This is a discussion on Non-rotational pins for AR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Are non-rotational pins really worth upgrading to?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Non-rotational pins for AR?

Are non-rotational pins really worth upgrading to?
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Only if the word "tactical" appears somewhere on the packaging.
    Badey and StormRhydr like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

NO, in over 30 years dealing with AR's and being an AR armorer I have never seen a pin "rotate" out.

If you are putting in a Geisele trigger or another high grade trigger the pins "may" make a difference in the trigger pull. In my carbine which is not set up as a varmint rifle I use a milspec trigger group and Wolfe springs.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

On a very worn full auto lower, maybe...otherwise they are useless.
    ezveedub likes this.

Thanks for the responses. I'll invest the extra few dollars in a round or two of 5.56
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Even my buddys FA M16A1 lower milspec pins,all my AR's milspec pins,never have had any walk out,or in my match trigger guns they use regular pins
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Even my buddys FA M16A1 lower milspec pins,all my AR's milspec pins,never have had any walk out,or in my match trigger guns they use regular pins

Yup, we fired lots of full auto and never an issue with pins. The only problem was guys would not clean their rifle for 3 years and then call it an unreliable POS.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Senior Moderator
    They always seemed to me to be a sales gimmick rather than something that it really needed.

If your lower is so worn that the pins are rotating out, you have other issues that need to be addressed.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

duct tape.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

I have the KNS pins on two of my rifles, not because I'm worried about the pins rotating out, but because the connecting rod acts as a perfect indexing point for me.

I'm sorry, but I don't have any pictures to illustrate.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I have them on some of my guns!

People many times go WOW what are those? I usually response with "What you don't have these!" Boy are you missing out! JK

They look cool, they are Tacti-cool, and cool guys have them! People who aren't cool don't have them!

Yes, Its that simple.
    bmcgilvray, Bad Bob and atctimmy like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    ^^^^ Funny!
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I have them on some of my guns!

People many times go WOW what are those? I usually response with "What you don't have these!" Boy are you missing out! JK

They look cool, they are Tacti-cool, and cool guys have them! People who aren't cool don't have them!

Yes, Its that simple.

Thinking hard here, none of the professionals/serious shooters I know use them. They state the same as most in this thread. It's typically those that don't know and are trying too hard, or just mistakenly think it's a good idea, that actually use them. Never have I seen them on a gun and it actually needed them.
    bmcgilvray and Bad Bob like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Thinking hard here, none of the professionals/serious shooters I know use them. They state the same as most in this thread. It's typically those that don't know and are trying too hard, or just mistakenly think it's a good idea, that actually use them. Never have I seen them on a gun and it actually needed them.
    I think he was being funny/silly.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I think he was being funny/silly.
    Yeah, I think he was too. It just got me thinking about it.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links