I feel like a moron - Why does my AR's cleaning kit have 2 bore brushes?

This is a discussion on I feel like a moron - Why does my AR's cleaning kit have 2 bore brushes? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I cannot believe I don't know the answer to this. My new AR came with a cleaning kit, containing two different sized bore brushes. One ...

Thread: I feel like a moron - Why does my AR's cleaning kit have 2 bore brushes?

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

I feel like a moron - Why does my AR's cleaning kit have 2 bore brushes?

I cannot believe I don't know the answer to this. My new AR came with a cleaning kit, containing two different sized bore brushes. One is obviously .223 sized, and the other one is larger (maybe ~.30) and has a softer, gray, and even larger brush on the back.

Just like this cleaning kit -->

My operator's manual is silent on this. It simply says to run the brush down the barrel, just like I do on my pistol. But it doesn't specify which brush. I assume the larger brush is used to clean the chamber, before it necks down into the bore.

My question is this: How do I do it? Will the larger brush fit down the bore after it scrubs the chamber? Am I totally missing something here? (probably the case). I'm gonna go break in my new rifle tomorrow morning. Help a guy out in his moment of brain fart.

2. Remove Ads

The one is a chamber brush its designed to go no farther than the chamber

the other is the bore brush

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Yeah,it's designed for the chamber and the locking lugs.(put some Q-Tips in that kit also) --------Edit to add: Pipe cleaners also.
    Last edited by RSSZ; December 2nd, 2006 at 07:01 AM.

Yes, like everyone else has said, it's a chamber brush (the one with the skirt). To use the chamber brush, screw it into one of the straight rods, than screw that rod into the straight rod with the handle. That little part of the handle that has the hole, you are going to want to take one of your spare rods and slip it into that about a quarter of the way. Take the brush and liberally apply CLP or whatever solvent you are using. Stick business end of brush into chamber (provided that you removed the bolt carrier group first) through the rear end of the upper reciever. Next use the rod that's been placed into the handle to turn the brush in a "crank-like" motion. This will provide you much leverage. A couple of turns will do. Then remove brush and replace with eyelit. Thread eyelit with cleaning patch and repeat step.

+1 on the Q tips. You'll be needing a lot of those.

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    Yes, like everyone else has said, it's a chamber brush (the one with the skirt). To use the chamber brush, screw it into one of the straight rods, than screw that rod into the straight rod with the handle. That little part of the handle that has the hole, you are going to want to take one of your spare rods and slip it into that about a quarter of the way. Take the brush and liberally apply CLP or whatever solvent you are using. Stick business end of brush into chamber (provided that you removed the bolt carrier group first) through the rear end of the upper reciever. Next use the rod that's been placed into the handle to turn the brush in a "crank-like" motion. This will provide you much leverage. A couple of turns will do. Then remove brush and replace with eyelit. Thread eyelit with cleaning patch and repeat step.

oooohh. That's what I needed to know. I didn't even think of twisting it to scrub the chamber. I'm so used to pulling the brush down the bore and just letting the rifling spin it. It all makes sense now. Noobism removed. Thanks.

Bob,

It's really important not just for the chamber....but for where the lugs go in....that's why the skirt. If you get buildup the bolt won't seat fully forward...even with using the forward assist, the rotating bolt will not lock in and the rifle will not function.

Good luck and enjoy your new AR!

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Senderofan View Post
    Bob,

It's really important not just for the chamber....but for where the lugs go in....that's why the skirt. If you get buildup the bolt won't seat fully forward...even with using the forward assist, the rotating bolt will not lock in and the rifle will not function.

Good luck and enjoy your new AR!

Wayne
    it makes perfect sense, and I totally understand its importance. For some reason, I just couldn't see any way to use it without drawing it through the bore (as opposed to just spinning it). Like I said - brain fart moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    oooohh. That's what I needed to know. I didn't even think of twisting it to scrub the chamber. I'm so used to pulling the brush down the bore and just letting the rifling spin it. It all makes sense now. Noobism removed. Thanks.

No noobism involved. You just had a piece of equipment you weren't familiar with, it happens to all of us
    That's what's so good about this site :)

Like razorblade said...no noobism or brainfart...just new equipment.

Enjoy!

Wayne

thanks guy. I appreciate the help.

Lead Moderator
    brake parts cleaner works well too. I use it instead of trying to jam a pipe cleaner down the gas tube. Also I don't use the steel rod unless out in the field. (more likely to scratch the bore. )
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Bob........one brush is for the bore...........the other is for the chamber so you can thoroughly clean the rifle
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ View Post
    Yeah,it's designed for the chamber and the locking lugs.(put some Q-Tips in that kit also) --------Edit to add: Pipe cleaners also.
    Q-Tips and Pipe Cleaners. I just had a boot camp flashback.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    I just had a boot camp flashback.

PTBCSD?
    Post Tramautic Boot Camp Stress Disorder?

Links