Lubrication for AR-15 Explained

This is a discussion on Lubrication for AR-15 Explained within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good Article on lubes for AR's Get Wet! - Saved Rounds...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Lubrication for AR-15 Explained

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

Good Article on lubes for AR's

Get Wet! - Saved Rounds
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    Thanks for the post.

That's one of the better and more comprehensive comparisons that I've seen. Thanks for posting, Rob99.

As an aside, I can't believe that people actually have used butter to lubricate their firearms. Amazing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cn262 View Post
    As an aside, I can't believe that people actually have used butter to lubricate their firearms. Amazing.
    I was really upset that yogurt isn't a recommended lube. I'm gonna have to change the way I do things.
    zacii likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Great post!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    I've used Crisco and Lard but only on a .36 Navy cap and ball.

Good Post!!
    I've been cleaning mine since 'Nam.
    One thing that is important is a very good Powder Solvent for minimizing your need for your Carbon-Scraper (always hated doing that).

I like the synthetic motor oil, 20w in hypodermic syringes with an 18 ga needle (filed dull). The Frog Lube has worked well for me.

For storage, I like the Birchwood-Casey "Gun Sheath" spray mist, then wipe excess off. Also, the WD-40 is an ideal storage coating (silicone) and is good to have a rag damp with it.... the 'WD' stands for Water Displacement.
    I like to fire my new M16/Ar15s with very light lube for the initial break-ins. Also, always thoroughly clean any firearm before firing it, some are packed in axle Grease.

Never use Grease or Paste for lubes as they just collect powder residue when fired & cause problems.
    My Colts seem to prefer being lubed on the drier side, but others seem to work better quite 'wet'.

Also, I only use Pmags with 'dust covers' (to protect the feed lips) as I like to keep 20-30 mags loaded and the weight will allow them to be easily damaged when transporting.
    I hate trying to rebend feed-lips on metal mags (especially aluminum) after bumping my mag pouch on a tree or such.
    The Pmags are also good for color coding to tell practice ammo from the "Good Stuff".

There are prob a dozen other ways to get great results, too.
    badge70 likes this.

One of the best lubes I've used has been Slip EWL, but FireClean is proving itself and it may become my primary lube.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Very good article.

Distinguished Member
    Thank you! Saved it in my favorites
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

If you want your AR to run when it gets good and hot, use high temp bearing grease. I use autozone brand. Though I would use lucas red & tacky if I could find it.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    If you want your AR to run when it gets good and hot, use high temp bearing grease. I use autozone brand. Though I would use lucas red & tacky if I could find it.
    Yeah I woudn't recommend that...I've been using Fireclean for about a year now, and I'll stick to that. It has a very high smoke point and also takes all the grittiness out of your bolt. Keeps gun running great and carbon litterly wipes off.
    jonconsiglio likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Might have to make the switch to the Slip when my CLP supply runs out. Solid read, thanks for sharing.

Pig
    Been using mobile one on my firearms for a while, it works well. Good article, thanks for the link.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links