Looking to break into the AR world!....Is this a fair price?

This is a discussion on Looking to break into the AR world!....Is this a fair price? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As the title says, looking to break into the AR world! Built my first lower this past spring, but haven't had the financial backing to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Looking to break into the AR world!....Is this a fair price?

Looking to break into the AR world!....Is this a fair price?

As the title says, looking to break into the AR world! Built my first lower this past spring, but haven't had the financial backing to get an upper. I met a guy who is willing to sell his BCM 16" mid-length upper for $620. The specs are below. Is it worth spending $620 on this upper? He says it's been on a lower, but not fired.

Red Barn Armory BCG, M16 profile
    *looks like a Magpul MOE handguard
    A-frame front sight
    M4 Feed Ramp Barrel Extension
    M4 Feed Ramp Flat Top Receiver
    T-Marked Upper Receivers
    USGI 1/7 Twist Rates USGI
    5.56 NATO Chambers
    Mil-Spec 11595E- Certified Barrel Steel (CMV)
    Chrome Lined Bore and Chamber Manganese Phosphate Barrel Finish
    Mil-Spec F-Marked Forged Front Sights USGI Government Profile Barrels
    HPT (High Pressure test) Barrels
    MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected) Barrels

Thanks in advance! (I can post pictures too if needed)
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a very basic upper.

No. I would not pay $620. YMMV

You can get an upper just like that for about $500-550 easy.

Half the details you listed are standard for the majority of M4gery ARs. Nothing fancy about it, so not worth a fancy price.

Post a pic anyway. I want to see it.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Here:
    PSA 16" M4 Premium with M16 Bolt Carrier Group and Charging Handle and 5 PMAGs - MAG571 - Barreled Upper Assemblies - AR-15
    A complete upper and 5 pmags. Now, I think the sale just ended, but that's still only $499 without the sale.

EDIT:
    When I clicked "Add to cart" it still showed up with the sale price. $439 for a complete upper and 5 pmags. Much better deal than just an upper for $620

VIP Member
    You can just about spend double that $1300-1600 and get a whole rifle from Colt/D Defense/Palmetto State etc etc.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    You can just about spend double that $1300-1600 and get a whole rifle from Colt/D defense etc etc.
    Or you can build your own and only spend about $800. My M4 was built for $800 - and that was after everything went crazy with election and sandy hook and all the anti-gun bills.
    Drgnfly likes this.

Shop around prices are back to normal in many areas.
    Colt 6920 $1097 at Walmart they had a case full of them last week.

Thanks for the input everyone. I already have a lower that I built, so I wouldn't need the whole rifle. here's a pic of what the guy's selling http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armsl...ll_new_640.jpg

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

Thanks for the link Pittypat21, only problem is I live in Colorado... Pretty sure (unless they're willing to disassemble) I won't be getting any additional 30 round pmags..
    pittypat21 likes this.

Ah yes...Colorado...Sorry about that...

Blemished is the way to go, man. A working gun needs a few scars, anyway. Not to mention that with a lot of 'blemished' products, the blemish is so small or unnoticeable that you have to really try hard to find it. Doesn't affect function at all, but the price is nice. I love blems.

That'd be a better deal, in my opinion. Word of warning, however - the front of that thing will get a bit hotter than a conventional hand guard - in my experience anyway.

I'd take his for no more than $550, personally. And that's just because it's got the Magpul MOE handguard. I like those.

I just bought the exact same upper for $470 on sale 3 weeks ago. The only "blemish" I could find was that the anodizing on the inside of the receiver was a little lighter than the outside. It looks and shoots great, just don't forget you'll need sights for it.

Thanks everyone! Just ordered the blem. I've already got BUS which will be fine for the time being. I appreciate the heads up on the barrel PittyPat.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    PSA has different deals each day during the week, and their week-end sales over the weekend. If you don't see an upper on sale that matches what you want, just check back for a week or two.

PSA has great products for EXCELLENT prices, but I hope you're not in a rush. They take forever to ship anything. But if that's the "price" we have to pay to keep their overhead (and as a result, their prices) down, then I'm ok with waiting.

I just ordered their Sig P938 for $540. Cheapest local is $650-750. Cheapest elsewhere online is in the mid $600's.

VIP Member
    Does it come with a BCM bolt carrier group? If it does it's a decent price. If it doesn't it's REALLY high.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links