I may finally have my perfect AR Carbine

This is a discussion on I may finally have my perfect AR Carbine within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think I have started a few threads over the years about wanting to get a 1-4x scope to put on one of my ARs, ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By buckeye .45
  • 1 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 3 Post By buckeye .45
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: I may finally have my perfect AR Carbine

I think I have started a few threads over the years about wanting to get a 1-4x scope to put on one of my ARs, and recently a LGS was having a sale on my top 3 contenders (Burris MTAC, Vortex PST, and Leupold Mark AR with Firedot SPR), which gave me the chance to compare all three side by side, which I had not had the chance to do previously. While I really like Aimpoints, and think they are excellent choices for a HD style rifle, I grew used to the 4x magnification on my issued ACOG, and realized the kind of advantage that a little bit of magnification can give at distance.

From reading online reviews and looking around I had thought that the Burris was my top choice, it was around the same price as the Leupold, but I thought I like the reticle better. It turns out that I was wrong, the reticle in it almost seemed under-sized when I looked through the scope, it is supposed to have a build in BDC using a series of dots, but I honestly don't think that they would be very easy to use because of their size. The Burris and Votrex scopes were also significantly larger and heavier than the Leupold option, which comes in at around 11 ounces without a mount. Looking through the Leupold scope, the reticle is simpler than the Vortex, but still quite usable. It also has an illuminated green dot at the center of the crosshairs that has 5 different power settings, so shooting with both eyes open using the Bindon aiming concept should work.

About the only gripe with the Leupold I have is that it does not have a true 1x setting, the lowest magnifictation is 1.5, but I think it should still be usable. And the Leupold with a one piece weaver mount is what I have wound up with on the top of my rifle.

20130914_111720.jpg20130914_111754.jpg

The rest of the rifle is my PSA Mock dissipator build, that I like because while it maintains a carbine length, it has a longer sight radius if I am going to shoot irons, and lets me put my Grippod and Surefire really far out, which eliminates barrel shadow and gives me better control over the rifle. It also has a 5.56 chamber and 1:7 twist rate, which I preferThe rifle length MOE handguard lets me add rails just where I want them, and doesn't add much weight, as opposed to a full rail system made of metal. Its not like I am running a PEQ-15 that needs to be zero'd in on this rifle. The Magpul BUIS fits well under the scope, even with a cantilever mount, I don't think that I would be able to co-witness any irons with the scope, so I just want a rear sight that works, and is lightweight to go under it. The ambi safety selector and oversized charging handle latch are personal preference. And a Vicker's two point sling to round the whole rifle out at just about 10 pounds with a loaded magazine.

About the only thing left I might change is the buttstock, for something more along the lines of a B5 SOPMOD. But, I really think this is my ideal carbine set-up. Now I just need to make time to go zero in the new scope.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I love Leupold scopes. I got my first 3x9 back in 1967. It now sits on top of my youngest daughter's Ruger .270--still fully functional, clear and crisp. I have a 4.5 x14 on my .257 Wthby and .300 Wthby, and a 2x8 on my .338 Win Mag. Also a 6x20 sitting lonely in the safe.........

Nice Pics!!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    Nice gat.
    The easy way is always mined.

Administrator
    Nice rifle. You're good to go.

Did you ever see that short Video where Leupold mounted one of their scopes onto a jack hammer and then used that jack hammer to bust up concrete for a solid 30 minutes and then they remounted that scope onto the rifle and it still stayed dead on the money?

They are just great scopes.

If your optic mount is high quality and everything is solidly/properly mounted and your optic features a reticule that just cannot move or shift then being able to co-witness becomes radically less important.

My two best long guns wear Leupold.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Buckeye .45, that looks like a thoughtfully put-together rifle from what little I really know about AR 15 stuff. I'll have to defer to Jon.

Never saw that jack-hammer mounted scope. Whoa!

My two best long guns wear Leupolds too.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Buckeye .45, that looks like a thoughtfully put-together rifle from what little I really know about AR 15 stuff. I'll have to defer to Jon.

Never saw that jack-hammer mounted scope. Whoa!

My two best long guns wear Leupolds too.
    My goal was really to make something that I thought optimal for 0-500 yards. I carried a full sized A-4, and that layout is just too long IMO to be optimal for things like clearing houses, can you make it work? Yes, but there are better options available. The 16.5" barrel does sacrifice some when it comes to the outer edge of the range I want. But, Marines issued M-4s shoot them for qualifications out to 500 yards, and this build actually have some advantages over a standard M-4 at distance, particularly the full rifle length sight radius.

Some people say 500 yards is too far for a 5.56, my personal experience is different, having shot at that range annually for qualifying, with both iron sighted and ACOG equipped rifles. Is the round ideal for that range, no, but, it can fill that role if needed.

And I have actually discovered that I don't like full rails on rifles. My M-4gery with a full rail feels more front heavy than this rifle, and they aren't comfortable to grip when shooting. If I was mounting an aiming device on a rifle, I would want a metal rail system. For a light (which doesn't need to be zero'd) and grip, I have a hard time thinking anything else is worth the extra money over the Magpul MOE handguard.

This is my first actual Leupold, although I have a new production Redfield, which they now make, and I have been quite pleased with it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I would duck and remain effectively suppressed if you had the drop on me at 500 yards with your new rifle.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I would duck and remain effectively suppressed if you had the drop on me at 500 yards with your new rifle.
    That wouldn't be very civilized of me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Lead Moderator
    Nice set up , I have been considering going to a variable power scope on my AR. Will have to look at Leopold. Does the front sight appear fuzzy , clear or not at all on lowest power?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Nice set up , I have been considering going to a variable power scope on my AR. Will have to look at Leopold. Does the front sight appear fuzzy , clear or not at all on lowest power?
    On the lowest power, if I am focused on the reticle, the FSP appears fuzzy, but if I want to I can focus on it and it is then clear.

Not in the field of view on 4x.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Sponsored Links