Semi auto rifle for a first timer.

This is a discussion on Semi auto rifle for a first timer. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am doing some research on ARs right now. Everyone I talk to (I live in Florida) says I should get an AK style rifle, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Semi auto rifle for a first timer.

I am doing some research on ARs right now. Everyone I talk to (I live in Florida) says I should get an AK style rifle, but I don't like the look or feel of an AK. As reliable as they are, they just aren't for me... Anyway, back on topic. I own a garand, but it's a little impractical for what I'm looking at these rifles for. I'm looking at a good HD gun that my wife can shoot. She is what we would call "recoil sensitive" and stands at all of 5'6" and 120 pounds. She CANNOT shoot my 12 gauge...... I would use the AR for hunting, but the m1 in 30-06 handles this chore rather swimmingly. Also, being an heirloom from my grandfather, I am hard pressed to modify it.

I have narrowed my search down between BCM, CORE-15, Colt, and Daniel Defense. I am looking at a price point between 800 and 1200 dollars. I have read good things about BCM and Daniel Defense, but can't seem to find much on CORE-15, except they are out of Ocala, FL and are a relatively new company that that Colt seems to be a bit of hit and miss. Sooner or later, I will put optics and a light on the rifle. I want it to shoot a .223/5.56 NATO.

Could those with more experience in this help a newbie out?

Also, could someone explain to me the advantages/disadvantages of a carbine vs a mid-length?

VIP Member
    Colt is not hit or miss. Colt is the "gold standard" for fighting rifles. Also, BCM and DD make great products.

I'd stay away from the Core-15 until more information can be had. I went to their website and can't find any sort of spec sheet for them. My experience is that people who are doing it right tend to list their full spec sheet right up front as part of the sales pitch. Companies who don't list their spec sheet are usually cutting corners.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Daniel defense or Colt will serve you well!

Nothing wrong with a good AR affordable again for now.
    Maybe a mini 14
    If you do go with an AR just learn the correct way to engage zero distance targets if you plan to use it as a Home dense weapon.
    Most get it wrong.
    StormRhydr likes this.

VIP Member
    For your first AR and in that price range, you need not look further than Colt. Chances are it's the only AR you'll ever need, but if you get the bug and want to geek on your next AR, you'll still never regret getting the Colt.

Timmy gave some good advice. You have a pretty good list of good ARs.

Colts are good to go. Id at least look at the 6920 model, and the 6940. Walmart (In TN) carry both of those. Also, the S&W M&P line have gotten a good rep for making it thru high round classes.

DD is darn good quality, and Id add anything by SPIKES.

One caveat; Look out for fakes on armslist, or from guys selling used guns

Right after Sandy Hook, if a guy offered a rifle for sale, chances were it was what he said it was. However, now Im seeing deceptive adds out there.

They might say DD, or SPIKES AR for sale. What you get is anyones guess. There will be SOME part of the weapon that says whatever the guy claims it to be, but in reality, they are offering up "Frankenguns", or kit guns with a mish mash of parts they put together.
    WHEC724 likes this.

hwarang, if you haven't done so already check for prior discussions by jonconsiglio on the subject (ie, click). Might help you narrow down some of the possibilities, for good reasons.
    gasmitty and john.shewchuk like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Colt, BCM, or DD are all great choices.

I sold all of my AR style rifles back in January except for the stock Colt LE 6920 5.56X45mm with iron sights and the stock Armalite AR-10 7.62X51mm with a Burris XTR 3-12X50 scope. The Colt with iron sights would be my first choice for a home defense rifle, especially for a wife or older child. In my opinion, lasers, lights, scopes, and red dots just add weight and get in the way for inside home defense. If you choose to add them, you must practice religiously with them. My 5'0" wife can't handle my AR-10 or my Benelli 12 gauge. She can handle the Colt LE 6920. Other AR style rifles may be as good as a Colt, but the Colts have the best resale value.
    Jaeger and StormRhydr like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Thanks for the good info! I appreciate it. Now... I guess the real question is this... which AR would you bet your life on....?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by hwarang54 View Post
    Thanks for the good info! I appreciate it. Now... I guess the real question is this... which AR wouls you bet your life on....?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Any of the ones I listed in my prior post. I have a S&W M&P (a high grade one). Id be as happy with a good Colt, certainly with DD, or Spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    The Colt with iron sights would be my first choice for a home defense rifle, especially for a wife or older child. In my opinion, lasers, lights, scopes, and red dots just add weight and get in the way for inside home defense. If you choose to add them, you must practice religiously with them.
    The rest I get...but the red dot? They're 10x simpler than operating iron sights under pressure! Look down the rifle and there'll be a red dot in your field of vision. Where it is...the bullet goes. End of lesson.
    atctimmy likes this.

Probably gonna get slammed for this but check out the AR's at your local Walmart.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Not by me, you wont. I agree. Walmart carries 3 different models of COLT ARs, where Im at.

My AR came from Gander Mtn.

Quote Originally Posted by OkSlim View Post
    Probably gonna get slammed for this but check out the AR's at your local Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by OkSlim View Post
    Why slammed Walmart has Colt 6920 in case at 1097 right now . Some cheap Bushy's carbons for 750-799.

No madder what you read on the subject there will always be a what if, could have would have should have. Or someone that just plain wants to disagree. This is a good read that will arm you with some facts, if you want to be an educated shopper.
    So you want to buy an AR-15, huh?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links