My first AR and first build

This is a discussion on My first AR and first build within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For the longest i was dead set on going with an optics ready PSA. For the price it seemed to be the clear frontrunner. Then ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: My first AR and first build

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar

My first AR and first build

For the longest i was dead set on going with an optics ready PSA. For the price it seemed to be the clear frontrunner. Then i got the building bug and decided why not buy the premium upper kit that was on sale and save some money for accessories in the process. Well, long story short, my funds didn't clear in time and the kit also went out of stock about 24hrs before the sale ended.

That's when i stumbled upon a little company called BCM. After much deliberation i settled on the 16" hammer forged mid-length upper and finished it off with the BCM BCG and a #4 Gunfighter charging handle. So now i have no money left for accessories :)

Here's some pics of what i've got going on at the moment. Still waiting on a lower parts kit, buffer kit and some other odds and ends:

Rock and Glock and Eric357 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Nice looking start . AR15.com equipment exchange seems to be a good place to find parts , either lightly used, new or used. If you look around enough you can get some decent deals.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

That was a fortuitous 'stumble' - Bravo makes some top-notch equipment.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Nice looking start . AR15.com equipment exchange seems to be a good place to find parts , either lightly used, new or used. If you look around enough you can get some decent deals.
    Thanks. Yes i'm already a member with one transaction on the EE under my belt

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    That was a fortuitous 'stumble' - Bravo makes some top-notch equipment.
    From what i can gather they have quite the following. I plan on getting the BCM rollmarked lower at some point.

Sponsor
    While I have nothing bad to say about PSA( I have several of their lowers and have bought many individual parts/kits from them) BCM is definitely one of the Good Guys in the AR world. I have their "Pat Rogers, E.A.G." upper on one of my PSA lowers and it has been a very reliable shooter.

Take a look at G&R Tactical for a lower kit. Grant picks and chooses the best bits from mfgs. like LMT, Colt and DD for his LPKs. The result is great value.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

sweet build, shes going to treat you well, BCM is indeed a good company congrats.
    wishyouwell likes this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    While I have nothing bad to say about PSA( I have several of their lowers and have bought many individual parts/kits from them) BCM is definitely one of the Good Guys in the AR world. I have their "Pat Rogers, E.A.G." upper on one of my PSA lowers and it has been a very reliable shooter.

Take a look at G&R Tactical for a lower kit. Grant picks and chooses the best bits from mfgs. like LMT, Colt and DD for his LPKs. The result is great value.
    Already got a PSA LPK on the way. PSA is a bit sluggish with shipping they just had the free ship weekend and are always swamped. Heard good things about their basic LPK's and how they have good triggers etc. Got it on sale, too.

Quote Originally Posted by ZOMBIEvs42 View Post
    sweet build, shes going to treat you well, BCM is indeed a good company congrats.
    Thanks. I'm ready to get everything and start assembly.

Enjoy it.
    AR's are barbie dolls for men . You don't really build them you assemble them from parts.
    Dress them up get bored dress them up differently. Then you get another one and another..........
    If you get to a point you want to remove barrel swap out upper receivers get a good vise block do not try it with out one.
    Understand fully what you are doing before putting a tool to it, Not hard anyone can do it just do it right.
    wishyouwell and luvmy40 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Enjoy it.
    AR's are barbie dolls for men . You don't really build them you assemble them from parts.
    Dress them up get bored dress them up differently. Then you get another one and another..........
    If you get to a point you want to remove barrel swap out upper receivers get a good vise block do not try it with out one.
    Understand fully what you are doing before putting a tool to it, Not hard anyone can do it just do it right.
    I did the LPK last night w/o a vice. For my very first foray into assembling AR parts it went really well. I made sure everything was properly taped to prevent marring and barely left a scratch on it.

But it wasn't without a few heart stopping moments with the pivot pin and detent. Twice it got away from me and went flying and i managed to recover it both times. The first time it hit my dresser and i found it right in the vicinty. The second time it went a good eight feet, and no joke, broadsided my cat and he ran right up to where it landed and was staring right at it. I had no idea where it went the second time until i saw the cat reacting out of the corner of my eye. He truly saved me :)

I finally got it using the box cutter method where you trap it with a razor blade and then slide the pin over it.

Quote Originally Posted by wishyouwell View Post
    I did the LPK last night w/o a vice. For my very first foray into assembling AR parts it went really well. I made sure everything was properly taped to prevent marring and barely left a scratch on it.

But it wasn't without a few heart stopping moments with the pivot pin and detent. Twice it got away from me and went flying and i managed to recover it both times. The first time it hit my dresser and i found it right in the vicinty. The second time it went a good eight feet, and no joke, broadsided my cat and he ran right up to where it landed and was staring right at it. I had no idea where it went the second time until i saw the cat reacting out of the corner of my eye. He truly saved me :)

I finally got it using the box cutter method where you trap it with a razor blade and then slide the pin over it.
    You are not the first one crawling around on the floor looking for that ----- spring or detente or pin
    Replacing the spring in the dust cover is fun the first time.
    Just do your self a big favor never try to remove a barrel nut with out a vice block. I have seen so many receivers bent over the years.
    Good set of punches are nice to have also.
    Many on the market if you are going to play around with assembling AR's good idea to have the kit
    Enjoy nothing wrong with assembling a Mut if you use good parts
    Parts left laying around shoots 1 MOA or less with m855 rounds
    Voodo barrel 16inch 1-7
    Huldra gas piston system (AdamsArms)
    Panther lower
    CMMG lower kit
    MagPul stock
    Good generic buffer tube Heavy buffer
    wishyouwell likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Replacing the spring in the dust cover is fun the first time.
    Just do your self a big favor never try to remove a barrel nut with out a vice block. I have seen so many receivers bent over the years.
    Many on the market if you are going to play around with assembling AR's good idea to have the kit
    I have access to a vice at work but i was too excited to wait. No more than i shoot i don't forsee my CL hammer forged barrel ever needing replacement.

But duly noted because i do plan on getting jigs and other various stuff for future projects. You are right...They are very contagious...Not even done with this one and i'm already wanting to build another. I think my next one will be from scratch using el cheapo parts.

I am laughing with you not at you. You wake up one day and wonder where in the heck these all cam from.
    The weapons them self will not break you they always have value. It is like Harleys the junk you bolt on is what breaks you.
    Cheap is never good , but there is a lot of good stuff in the middle that will serve you very well.
    Understand the difference in Milspec and commercial parts you can end up with parts that are worthless to you.
    Good luck lock up the credit cards.
    wishyouwell likes this.

Well, here she is pretty much finished... For now :) Have a different stock ordered and a few other little odds and ends.

It's crazy how little pieces like a flashlight holder etc can have so much of an impact on how the weapon feels. I couldn't believe how much of a difference feel wise that poly Elzetta mount and a few little screws made. And that was even before adding the light lol.

The Magpul handguards were meant to be temporary but i've really grown to like them and i think i'm gonna stick with em for awhile:

VIP Member
    I like the light mount. Did you go with a real Aimpoint T1 or H1? If so, how do you like it?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links