Barrel length and performance?

This is a discussion on Barrel length and performance? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I am looking to purchase a Winchester Model 94 in 30-30. How much difference in performance do you think I'd lose between a 20" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So I am looking to purchase a Winchester Model 94 in 30-30. How much difference in performance do you think I'd lose between a 20" barrel vs. a 16" barrel?

Would it turn a 300yd gun into a 200yd gun, or more like 275?

I of course am trying to decide if the benefits of the shorter barrel offset any performance loss.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

there was a very good article in either handloader or rifle this month where they talked about this exact thin using a 30-06 Phil sharp in the 40's started with a 30 inch barrel and cut ti down to 12 inches the results were surprising to say the least

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    started with a 30 inch barrel and cut ti down to 12 inches the results were surprising to say the least
    Care to share, or are you going to make me drive through the ice and snow to B&N?
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

no way am i going to retype that article its worth the read its long but the drop off isnt as much as you think some barrels and calibers of other tests done in the article actually gained FPS

I'm sorry, I wasn't asking for a reprint, just your interpretation of the article as it applies to my question. So you think I'd be fine with the 16"?
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Assistant Administrator
    It's all trade-off!

I have a 20" Marlin 94 in .44 mag and a Win 94 in .357 - now, not comparing cals at all but - the Win is way more totable being shorter and so is more ''convenient''.

If 'thuddy-thuddy' - then I'd still probably if given choice, opt for the easier toting platform. While I have no comparitive data I am not going to fuss over relatively small ballistic changes.

Were we talking full length rifle - say something like a Mauser at 28" or so - then I'd certainly expect longer range performance from that with an 8mm - than out of a carbine length in same cal.

Back to totability - it's amazing how different those two levers of mine feel to carry - and can carry the Win all day and hardly notice.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

i dont see why not course im not a fan of the 30-30 and thing its being pushed to much at 200 yards but if your fine with it have at it

Bud- I agree completely. It's not a long range gun. That's ok though, because this weekend I came to the conclusion that I am not a long range shooter. If a deer is more than 100-200 yds away, it gets to live and I'm fine with that. I'd have had me a nice 8-pointer yesterday if I'd have had a more maneuverable gun. Watched him walk into the woods from the stand, no shot. Circled on him and flushed him out, he gave me a perfect shot, but I just couldn't freehand the rifle well enough to take the shot.

I know a lot of this is an experience thing, but it seems I'm a better stalker than shooter, so I am going to gear my hunting that way. My family are all stand hunters and will shoot long shots. I think I'm more of a close range type. So they can take all the stands on the south fork while I go crawling through the bush on the north.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    With the .30-30 velocities,you will lose about 20-30 fps per inch of bbl shortened.

To me the important thing to remember is with the 4 inches of bbl, you will also have to shorten the mag by 1 round.

This is why I say to go with the pistol calibers. Using open sights or a small(low powered) scope, the pistol calibers are right up their with the .30-30. This,as far as target "hitability".Especially at the shorter to med-short ranges where these rds were designed to "work" at. And they will hold 4-5 MORE rds in the mag.

A lever for me means, a 16" pistol caliber and the very best open sights you can get. (fiber optic ??) -------

well for close range stalking switch to handgun hunting and take it to a whole nuther level

Bud you're cracking me up! I do have to admit while sitting on the stand I was hoping a nice buck would just walk up so I could shoot him with my Steyr S40 instead of the rifle :)
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

I think you'd loose a max of 200 fps in muzzle velocity. With the 30-30 I wouldn't think about 300 yards. You could do it, sure, but I'd get up about 150-75 yards away and then shoot with the 30-30.

Quote Originally Posted by Hekkenschutze View Post
    I think you'd loose a max of 200 fps in muzzle velocity. With the 30-30 I wouldn't think about 300 yards. You could do it, sure, but I'd get up about 150-75 yards away and then shoot with the 30-30.
    I'm not planning on consistently trying 300 or even 200 yrd shots, but it'd be nice to have that up my sleeve. Instead of contemplating the 400-500 yrd shots my cousins are attempting. To no avail. My uncle can make them, but that's years of experience.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Administrator

Thumbs up Wincherster 94 30/30

A timeless classic & a beautiful rifle.
    You will absolutely love owning one.
    It's one of my all time favorite rifle styles & I could not envision being without one.
    I have 2 of them now & both are with the 20" barrel.
    They are both very slick shooting rifles.
    At less than 38" Overall length I think they are quite manageable with the 20" barrel & balance very nicely without seeming front heavy.
    My best guess is that you would lose maybe (best guess) 100 FPS with the shorter barrel but, if you can get a sweet deal on a 20" or a shorter version...then go for it.
    Buy either one...just get one!

I dunno...call me quirky but, I really like the 30/30 Winchester cartridge & historically the bullet has been a very adequate Bambi killer in the hands of any good and qualified shooter. A good shot will easily drop a black bear.
    It's such a nice doggone pleasurable rifle to shoot.
    I like everything about the Winchester 94. Yes, I do!

BTW ~ You can buy
    HORNADY 30-30 WINCHESTER 160GR LEVEREVOLUTION BALLISTIC FLEX TIP
    and make up for any slight velocity loss w/ the shorter barrel.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Nothing like taking a deer with a handgun then shooting another with same handgun 7-10 mins later while helping gut out the other one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links