Buying an M1a Loaded

Buying an M1a Loaded

This is a discussion on Buying an M1a Loaded within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have seen a variety of discussions on loaded vs standard vs match etc. Well being in the bass ackwards state of CA, and with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Buying an M1a Loaded

Buying an M1a Loaded

I have seen a variety of discussions on loaded vs standard vs match etc. Well being in the bass ackwards state of CA, and with the pending legislation looming I put a deposit down today, on a Springfield M1a Loaded.

The issue is that there seem to be relatively few new available. My decision on whether or not to buy the Loaded or Standard was made easy by the store having exactly one in stock.

Figured as it was a "non evil black scary rifle" I would be able to order one. Found out that the idiots that make the laws here do not like the muzzle break and a particular "flash hider" CA version is the modification required.

While I hope the laws don't pass, and I am doing my part to stop them, I am not waiting around, just in case. Gun is $1785.00.

Any of y'all have the loaded or other variants? It has wood furniture, which I really prefer. Ammo recommendations?
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I have a plain ol' M1A. It's not loaded unless I load it up. It loves to eat up .30 bullets in the 125-180 grain range. It's particularly accurate with Sierra's Matchking bullets, proving that it has expensive tastes in bullets. It will do well with most any bullet and will shoot surprisingly light handloads with perfect function. Powders in the burning range of IMR 3031 to IMR 4320 or other propellant manufacturer's products having similar burning rate characteristics work best. It only ever sees handloads.

Full size, wood stock. Works for me. Love it!

Please post photos of yours when it happens.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Hoping to get some pics when I pay and leave it in prison for 10 days. Looking forward to having one of these. Have lusted over one for a long time. Also looking forward to potential of handloading .308s. I know the wood is a bit heavier, but its somewhat original and can always be replaced if need be, though I foresee no need.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I have a plain ol' M1A. It's not loaded unless I load it up. It loves to eat up .30 bullets in the 125-180 grain range. It's particularly accurate with Sierra's Matchking bullets, proving that it has expensive tastes in bullets. It will do well with most any bullet and will shoot surprisingly light handloads with perfect function. Powders in the burning range of IMR 3031 to IMR 4320 or other propellant manufacturer's products having similar burning rate characteristics work best. It only ever sees handloads.

Full size, wood stock. Works for me. Love it!
    Please post photos of yours when it happens.
    One more great powder is IMR 4895.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Hi SatCong; You bet! Actually IMR 4895 is my favorite for 150-168 grain bullets in both the .308 and the .30-06.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Sponsor
    I think an M1A will be my next long gun purchase. I was considering one of the S&W AR10s but the M1A is much more appealing.

BTW, I like Varget and 168gr. Custom Competition for my .308 Remy 700. Probably a bit over kill for a semi.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Sponsor
    Have a loaded stainless NM, it's a battle rifle I'll never be without. Good to 600 with irons sights for minute of man needs. Holds less than 1" at 100yrds when I do my part.

You will probably like that rifle
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Attachment 79277[QUOTE=AzQkr;2923153]

Yea, shot DCM with NM, M1A with 168 grain match at 600 with my sights. I already said I use IMR 4895, the thing I don't like about Varget, is when you go to a new lot number, you should work up your load again. I seen what can happen if you don't. It still holds sub-moa when I do my job.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Have a loaded stainless NM, it's a battle rifle I'll never be without. Good to 600 with irons sights for minute of man needs. Holds less than 1" at 100yrds when I do my part.

You will probably like that rifle
    The price is tough to swallow, but then again as a history fan (and teacher) it is iconic to me. Additionally the potential usefulness of such a firearm is IMO priceless. The .308 is the one (semiauto) rifle round I currently do not have and with this bologna legislation pending the financial plunge will be worth it. If I can still get it later on, I doubt they will be any less pricey. Not many firearms seems to lose their value.

Get to go see her in a few!
    BigJon

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    You are making a wise choice.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Ex Member
    I have owned, or carried SKS, 6-7 different AK's, AR's, and a M14. The 14 is the best hands down. You won't go wrong.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    I have owned, or carried SKS, 6-7 different AK's, AR's, and a M14. The 14 is the best hands down. You won't go wrong.
    If you're that old, you probably were issued an m14, grunt in the Corps right? Semper Fi, 0844 mos here.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Haven't fallen in love with the AR I own, the sks is my supposed SHTF rifle, I actually like the Marlin 336 .30-30 best, but I have a feeling this will be the new favorite. countdown T-minus 10 days...Didn't get any pics, I was rushed for time. The shop was further than I anticipated, but it was nice to see they had a wide selection. Even had a lot of ammo.
    BigJon

You did good. I really want an M1A myself.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

You won't regret it. It is one heck of a rifle. I got one issued me when I got back from SE Asia. I got to carry a BAR and a M1 over there.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links