Non-lethal loads for home defense 12 gauge

This is a discussion on Non-lethal loads for home defense 12 gauge within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey again, just had a question in regards to CYA loads with home defense shotgun. If the undesired need be arises, I was considering in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Non-lethal loads for home defense 12 gauge

Hey again,
    just had a question in regards to CYA loads with home defense shotgun. If the undesired need be arises, I was considering in an 8 shot 20.5" 12 gauge to have the first 3 shells, as something non-lethal. I was watching a ballistics test of rock salt, and it was bunked as a poor non lethal choice, and actually it seemed bean bags loads would be the best, so here's what I was thinking.
    Shells:
    1-2-Beanbag
    3-Trap load
    4-6-Buck shot
    7-8-Slugs
    Would that be a good CYA set up say in court if the prosecutor tried to get me saying I was pre-meditated? I know even for LEO's it's a bunch of red tape to kill someone nowadays. I know an ex-cop who shot a drunk/drugged up man who tried to yank his pistol out of the officer's holster, and even then they tried to charge him with manslaughter. Anyways, thanks for taking a look.
    -Linny
    USMC 2009-2013 0341 Pfc-Cpl.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian
    My Blog http://renogunblog.blogspot.com/

Linny I want you and your loved ones to be safe. In my years in Corrections I saw numerous inmates shot with bird shot and bean bags on occasion they went down like the proverbial rock. On other occasions they continued fighting with fists feet or knives as the case played out. If you had a home invader(s) with firearms this could end very badly. Stay safe.

Dragon' s Breath, that'll light em' up (and your house too probably).

shadowwalker and ex95B10 like this.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

VIP Member
    Pillow fight?

'Sorry, I'm just not a fan of a non-lethal response to a lethal threat.
    CIBMike, Brad426, phreddy and 5 others like this.

True, it almost seems like in this day and age now that the person on who shoots an attacker/intruder gets more grief than that actual criminal. Seems very backwards to me.
    USMC 2009-2013 0341 Pfc-Cpl.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian
    My Blog http://renogunblog.blogspot.com/

Senior Moderator
    I would load the first two rounds with 00 buck or #4 buck and then the next 6 with the same.

If someone breaks into your house while you are there, you shouldn't be concerned with playing nice or what the Cops might think. You should only be thinking about the fastest and most effective way to stop the person(s) from harming your family.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I wouldn't recommend non-lethal if an intruder is in your house. I'd load the leathelest thing you can, and do your best to eliminate the state's star witness should they be ignorant enough to try prosecute you. I would think that a jury of your peers in Nevada would be quite sympathetic if sitting in judgment of a legal shoot.

I'm not an attorney, but ones who I trust have told me that if you have to shoot someone in your home you are actually much better off in the legal system killing them than wounding them.
    Arborigine likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Take a childrens rubber ball, the kind in the quarter machine, wrap it in overlapping sheets of paper until you get the desired guage than soak the whole thing in 50/50 mix of elmers glue and water, fit the concotion in your favorite shell and let dry.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Rock salt can be very lethal. An old neighbor pulled out some old rock salt rounds to scare off a pesky dog that was chasing his cows. Pulled the trigger and the dog dropped dead. Turned out the rock salt had solidified with the humidity into a solid piece. The salt slug dropped the dog right there. Old neighbor felt real bad. Dog didn't chase his cows anymore.
    This was Arizona with very low humidity for most of the year. I don't know how old the rock salt rounds were.
    CIBMike and StormRhydr like this.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Forget the shotgun, just keep a whistle around your neck. In the event of a home invasion, simply blast the whistle and firmly (but politely) inform the intruder that he is breaking the law and that if he does not leave immediately, you will be forced to contact the authorities! And now that we understand how unrealistic it is to use non-lethal force in a SD situation, lets talk about reality and effectively STOPPING THE THREAT...

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Why would you use non-lethal loads if you may be fighting for your life and the life of you loved ones ?
    phreddy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Dead man don't sue.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Quote Originally Posted by ddclancy View Post
    Dragon' s Breath, that'll light em' up (and your house too probably).

Gosh I love deer camp! That deer camp smell is in the air!
    oldskeetshooter likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    Each to their own,but my 870 won't ever have any non lethal loads in it. Someone breaks into my house the last thing i'm concerned with is CYA.The BG sure didn't care about me,if they break in and i'm sure i don't care about them.
    phreddy likes this.

I have never heard of nor seen a "non-lethal" shotgun round.

Less lethal yes but not non-lethal.

Any shotgun round at home defense ranges can cause death.

The big question is how would you feel if you had to get through 3 less lethal rounds on an intruder that was armed and shooting the most lethal rounds available?

Home defense is the one time where you don't want to extend hospitality to your visitor.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links