Model 1200 question

Model 1200 question

This is a discussion on Model 1200 question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking at an older model 1200 to use for a backup for hunting and as an extra around the house. The one I'm ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By oldskeetshooter

Thread: Model 1200 question

Model 1200 question

I am looking at an older model 1200 to use for a backup for hunting and as an extra around the house. The one I'm looking at is in good shape except when there is more than 1 shell in the magazine. The owner said that when 2-3 shells are in the magazine they all seem to slide out and jam up the gun. He said he took it to a smith but he didn't know how to fix the problem. It does shoot and is currently set up as a 2 shot deer gun. The price alone makes this a deal so I guess am wondering if anyone has seen this before? Any ideas on how to fix it?
    Thanks
    Mark

I love good deals, but considering that you can get a good 870 HD model at walmart for under $400, I think Id pass on the unreliable gun.

The last thing Id want is to grab a gun that I didnt trust for more than two shots, during a home invasion.

Probably a worn or bent shell lifter or the interrupter/? widget that's supposed to grab the next round.
    This video may shed some light on the problem: winchester shotgun feeding problems - YouTube

I'm sure parts are available, but unless the gun is an absolute steal (like $100 range) and you want to tinker with it, I'd pass.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    It SOUNDS like there would be an issue with cartridge stop, or something in the magazine spring assembly. Both would be very easy for any Winchester gunsmith to diagnose and correct. I would take it to a different gunsmith, one that works specifically on Winchesters, because bottom eject models are set up a little different than a standard side eject configuration, and if the guy you took it to isn't familiar with them he could easily miss something pretty simple. Find a Winchester armorer and try again, because that sounds very correctable for very little $ to me.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Probably a worn or bent shell lifter or the interrupter/? widget that's supposed to grab the next round.
    This video may shed some light on the problem: winchester shotgun feeding problems - YouTube

I'm sure parts are available, but unless the gun is an absolute steal (like $100 range) and you want to tinker with it, I'd pass.
    Or that!

On edit: That would explain a fail to feed, but I was under the impression that if fed fine unless more than one shell was in the tube, which to me means it isn't stopping the follower from pushing more than one round at a time into the loading port.

Double edit: It's not a bottom eject. My bad, but the rest holds true. I still think he missed something simple, and there are allot of places to get replacement parts for such a common shotgun.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

I talked to him some more and what he said is that it would feed 2shells not just one. We tried using empties and even some live rounds and could not get it to happen. He said it only happened when shooting. So he said I could hold on to it and take it to the range and test fire it. So we will see about that.

I believe this would be safe to use with steel for ducks and does anyone see a reason why it wouldn't be! It is only 2 3/4" but that shouldn't matter much as I don't like taking long shots anyway.

Any other suggestions to look at about the double feeding?

Thanks again
    Mark

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I would say if it is priced accordingly get it! I have a model 1200 in 20ga that is late 70's vintage and it is my favorite pump shotgun! It is my go-to HD shotgun. The older 1200's were some of the fastest/ slickest pump actions out there. Any good gunsmith should be able to fix it. Parts are still available through Numrich Gun Parts. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have a '60s model 12 ga 1200 and it's one of those "never get rid of" guns to me. It's currently buried in a closet, but I will attempt to dig it out later today and see what stops the next shell from feeding and see if I can help you figure it out. It's probably a simple fix.

As for shooting steel, it's probably not a good idea in the older barrels as they were not designed for steel shot and you run the risk of ruining the choke.

If you happen to run across a 1200 18-20 inch slug barrel, I would certainly be interested.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    The Win. 1200's, as well as its predecessor the Model 12, have a similar design "cutoff" or catch. It's not really a cutoff, so to speak, however, Winchester uses the term "cutoff" for the part. If you turn the gun upside down, you will be able to see how this catch works. It could be gummed up and stuck in the feed position. Another issue common the the 1200 is the magazine tube backing out of it's seat. When that happens the brass end of the shell slides to the side and bypasses the catch thus allowing the shells to be pushed out by the spring.

The 1200 is quite a good upgrade over it's predecessors, as the 1200 has dual action bars, one on each side of the bolt carrier. This making the slide operation much smoother as there is equal force, to each side of the carrier, during the slide operation.

Your problem should be a simple fix. Parts are available from Numrich, although a broken shell catch is highly unlikely.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Im really not trying to talk you out of a potential great deal, but that part about shooting magnum steel shot got my attention. I was shoulder to shoulder with my uncle, years ago.

He had a favorite shotgun that he had no business shooting steel out of. A 16 ga browning looking remington auto. The remington auto built on the browning patent, or something like that. Ancient gun. Never designed for steel shot, and almost certainly had some metal issues, and finish issues.

So, ducks come in, we all start to shooting. For whatever reason I see the end of his barrel. I think I saw light coming thru the end of it. He had a blown section in the barrel. About the size of my thumb nail, very close to the bead.

I start yelling for him not to shoot, again, and to his credit, he didnt. Its lucky that one of us didnt end up with a piece of that barrel in the head, that day.

I dont know how old that gun you are looking at is, how many miles its got on it, etc, but it would give me pause.

One other thing; the early steel shot was not well designed. And it DID damage lots of barrels. At least per what I have read.

Once again, something to perhaps consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_in_wi View Post
    I talked to him some more and what he said is that it would feed 2shells not just one. We tried using empties and even some live rounds and could not get it to happen. He said it only happened when shooting. So he said I could hold on to it and take it to the range and test fire it. So we will see about that.

I believe this would be safe to use with steel for ducks and does anyone see a reason why it wouldn't be! It is only 2 3/4" but that shouldn't matter much as I don't like taking long shots anyway.

Any other suggestions to look at about the double feeding?

Thanks again
    Mark

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    There are multiple differences between steel and lead shot when it comes to determining safety. Steel shot and lead shot are sized differently. Choke size is a huge factor, more like CRITICAL. Steel shot does not compress with the same characteristics as lead shot. Shooting larger diameter steel shot may prove disastrous, when fired in a modified or full choked older barrel. Some older barrels develop what is called a "Steel shot ring" or bulge at the choke section of barrel. Shot, although contained and protected by a cup or wad, does touch the barrel metal itself. Some of the earlier barrels can be seriously damaged by steel shot, as the metal is much softer than the shot.

Although some folks consider it safe to use steel shot in non steel shot barrels, I would stay away from it. IMHO. It's not worth taking the chance of damaging a barrel or yourself.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Links