Stupid laws = Buying more rifles

This is a discussion on Stupid laws = Buying more rifles within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Being in this beautiful though politically backwards state has me wanting to invest in some potentially "no longer allowed type guns". Legislation pending would restrict/ ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Stupid laws = Buying more rifles

Angry Stupid laws = Buying more rifles

Being in this beautiful though politically backwards state has me wanting to invest in some potentially "no longer allowed type guns".

Legislation pending would restrict/ make illegal for purchase sale and transfer: Center fire rifles with detachable magazines.

I understand and agree it is ridiculous. I know you think I should move. I am not moving yet so focus on the actual question

What rifle(s) should I be focusing on to buy before the ban? I am awaiting the 10 period to pick up a Springfield M1a loaded, I have an AR, an sks and I am considering buying some lowers to have for later. But I am running out of ideas on what other detachable magazine, center fire rifles I may not be able to later acquire. Any ideas and suggestions about guns (not my location!!!) would be appreciated.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

pretty open question. How much are you willing to spend on how many guns?

VIP Member
    I think you're already in good shape. More detachable magazine rifles doesn't necessarily improve your abilities.

My only detachable magazine rifle is an AR, and I feel quite content with it. The only other one that I really want is an AR10.

I'd prefer to spend more time and money running the 30-30 and the AR that I have, and getting more proficient with them. My vote is to spend your money on ammo.
    BigJon10125, 10thmtn and atctimmy like this.

It really depends I suppose. The M1a was kind of the high end of my purchase hopes, but if there is something magical I am missing, an exception may be made. Looking more in the $1000 and below range. No Barett .50 cal rifles or the like.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I think you're already in good shape. More detachable magazine rifles doesn't necessarily improve your abilities.

My only detachable magazine rifle is an AR, and I feel quite content with it. The only other one that I want is an AR10.

I'd prefer to spend more time and money running the 30-30 and the AR that I have, and getting more proficient with them. My vote is to spend your money on ammo.
    That is where I am leaning. I am working on building the reloading supplies and think that that and some magazines for said rifles will be where the money should be spent. Great suggestion, thank you.
    BigJon

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Being in this beautiful though politically backwards state has me wanting to invest in some potentially "no longer allowed type guns".

Legislation pending would restrict/ make illegal for purchase sale and transfer: Center fire rifles with detachable magazines...

What rifle(s) should I be focusing on to buy before the ban? I am awaiting the 10 period to pick up a Springfield M1a loaded, I have an AR, an sks and I am considering buying some lowers to have for later... Any ideas and suggestions about guns (not my location!!!) would be appreciated.
    If I were in your situation, I would be considering:

1) Another AR-15
    2) Another M1A
    2) AR-10
    3) FNAR
    4) AK-47
    5) Mini-14
    6) A pistol-caliber carbine - (e.g. Hi-Point or Kel-Tec if you're on a tight budget, maybe a Beretta Storm if you're not.)
    7) Thompson M1927

Just a few to consider, FWIW.
    BigJon10125 and blitzburgh like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Mini 14. 10/22
    Daishin likes this.

Between 1 AR-10 and 1 AR-15 you got a bazillion rifles from switching out uppers, which typically aren't regulated.

Ex Member
    For investments? I would buy 10-20 High Point carbines and loads of the 15 round mags. Mine works flawless and for the price of a AR you can get 5-6 High Points. For one gun, though I don't own one nor will ever own one, I would get a AR. If/when foreign ammo get banned .223 will be the easiest to find. As far as a QUALITY RELIABLE HARD HITTER................AK

BigJon10125 and synx like this.

Don't Move!! We need all the good Americans we can get to live in CA!! Do NOT surrender it to the whacks currently in office... someone needs to be there to vote 'em out so CA can become a FREE STATE again.
    Maybe a good truck gun like the PLR-16 with a locking breech like the M16. I love mine and it loves 30 & 40 round Pmags. It takes any decent brand of 5.56 or .223
    With a Surefire III optic, it is fine to 100+ yards. It needs the aluminum hand guard instead of the poly, though and you can get the 'flash suppressor w Crush washer'. at Midway.com for $6.

truck gun.jpg

Thanks for the encouraging words Patri0t! We are here because of family and business and plan to vote to fix this state! We are here for a good long while if not forever, so as you say, the goal is to fix the state. Really hoping we do not have to hit rock bottom to bounce back, but as most people realize, its the fools in 2 big cities screwing the rest of the state.

Looking at the laws i am not sure that will be made "unavailable" with THIS round of legislation. That being said, that is a contender. Especially after seeing that some people, as it is a pistol, put it on their permit making it a perfectly great "truck gun" option.

Thanks!
    BigJon

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Mini 14. 10/22
    It appears that rimfire are exempt, for now. Mini 14 or 30 is a consideration. My buddy just bought 2. Want to fondle them.
    BigJon

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post

My only detachable magazine rifle is an AR, and I feel quite content with it. The only other one that I really want is an AR10.

And since the OP implies he has money to spend on multiple purchases why not spend it on some kind of "advanced training"? Or...why not take that hunting trip of your dreams?

A hunting trip of my dreams is not limited by pending legislation. The only reason for push and significant financial (potential) investment is to beat the clock.

Training is upcoming, but again, not limited by potential new laws.
    BigJon

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Springfield M1a loaded ... AR ... sks ... some lowers ...
    M1 Carbine
    Saiga
    Ruger Mini-14
    SIG or H&K semi-auto rifles
    Any select-fire types, if you're lawfully able to
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links