ak47 vs sks

ak47 vs sks

This is a discussion on ak47 vs sks within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What's the difference? I own an sks. I am considering an AK47 but am not sure there is a reason to do so. Being in ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Gunnutty
  • 1 Post By oneshot
  • 1 Post By jca1
  • 1 Post By Buckeye63
  • 1 Post By HotGuns
  • 1 Post By GetSmith
  • 1 Post By 5lima30ret
  • 1 Post By Mr B

Thread: ak47 vs sks

ak47 vs sks

What's the difference?

I own an sks. I am considering an AK47 but am not sure there is a reason to do so.

Being in CA, magazines over 10 rds are illegal. A rifle with a pistol grip has a magazine lock that requires a tool (a bullet works) to remove the mag.

Sks has a fixed mag so pistol grip is.ok. I have become adept at using stripper clips and do not think a mag switch with a mag lock will increase the efficiency.

So what's the difference and with my restrictions is there any reason to add an AK to the stable other than just because.?

Gun will be used for the range and pending zombie apocalypse
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I have both the SKS and an AK47. In your situation the SKS is the better choice in my opinion. The Ak is great but the benefit to it is the 30 round mags. My son took his first deer with a SKS. The accuracy of both is very similar so you will gain nothing in that respect. Stick with the SKS until you get to an area that will allow the full capacity mags for the AK. Just my opinion and worth what you paid. LOL
    Mr B likes this.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

VIP Member
    I agree.

I have an SKS and have the 10 round removed and have 5 rounders for hunting and it accepts 30 round mags.
    Yes it works, but in your situation with state requirements, I'd just use it.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

They're basically the same. Be happy with the SKS. Get some stripper clips for it and leave the stock mag intact.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

I have a Russian SKS great shape and a Norinco Para trooper.....both are great shooter ...accurate..dependable

BigJon10125 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I am considering an AK47 but am not sure there is a reason to do so

The fact that some dim witted politicians didn't want me to own one because they are scared of them is all the reason I need to own one.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have an AK-47 with a ton a ammo. I too am in CA. For self defense the only reason I would use 7.62x39 would be in a true SHTF scenario. With no rule of law I would prefere 30 round magazines over 10 round clips. I won't say more due to forum rules.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Thank you all. Hotguns, at this point here in this state, any gun qualifies in that category and I am busting my butt to insure that I piss off all of those types with my purchases!

Getsmith: read you loud and clear buddy. Right there with you...
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have a single stack ak which only holds 10 rounds which is find by me. I had a banana magazine sks and I found it too
    heavy and got rid of it. I tried to find another 10 rounder and I found one for $400.An sks for four hundred dollars !

I like the SKS over the AK. The SKS seem to be better made to me. I also like the smaller fixed mag of the SKS.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

There are unconverted saiga AK's that don't have a pistol grip. That will get you legal normal magazine operation if I understand right.

And I don't think it'd be illegal to drive just across the border into an American state, bury a bunch of 30 and 40 round mags packed in cosmoline and leave them there for usage one day. They never came into Cali, right? Of course we'd not dare discuss things like burying them in your own back yard. That'd be illegal, don't do that!

Aside from that, very little advantage (if any) the AK brings other than the detachable mags.

Gbr funny you mention that. Here is some irony for you. It is legal, currently, to import magazines with a capacity higher than 10 rds as long as they are not assembled, as replacements for preban magazine parts. So I can technically have all the 30+ rd mags I want as long as they are never assembled in state.

Now THAT makes a ton of sense huh?!?!?
    BigJon

TRX
    I'll add my two cents worth too - keep the SKS, use the money to buy more ammo.

Since this is the "Defensive" subforum, I'll note that if you ever actually had to use the SKS for self-defense, it would be one less thing for the media and prosecutor to use against you. An innocent SKS hunting rifle isn't an evil-death-AK47, after all.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Both are solid weapons but being limited to 10 rd capacity I'd stick with the SKS. IME, SKS's tend to be more accurate than AK's. Good luck!
    Mr B likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I to have an AK and a SKS, and even though there both good rifles I would pick the SKS over the AK. The advantage of the AK is that it holds 30 rounds or more, but in my opinion the SKS is a better built rifle and more accurate.
    Gunnutty likes this.

Sponsored Links