Hi Point carbine

This is a discussion on Hi Point carbine within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; hi, I was holding a Hi point carbine in 9mm the other day. I couldn't believe how low the price was (about 350), much cheaper ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Hi Point carbine

Hi Point carbine

hi,

I was holding a Hi point carbine in 9mm the other day. I couldn't believe how low the price was (about 350), much cheaper than the Beretta cx4 storm or other similar carbines.

I can see the gun is ugly, but is there any other reason it's so cheap?

It takes proprietary mags, that may be the issue. I think this reduces one of the advantages of the pistol caliber carbine, which is commonality of magazines with your sidearm. It would likely be more popular if it took glock mags.

2. Remove Ads

The Hi Point name doesn't instill confidence in many people. Though, I've not read completely unfavorable reviews of their carbine.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Always kinda wanted one in .45

Their pistols don't have great internet rep but i wouldn't own one anyway b/c most of them are just too bulky and ugly. My boss has one in .40 that only holds 10+1 and it's massively ugly and makes my full size XD seem like a pocket pistol.

i have one in .45 that has been 100% reliable and has @3000 rounds through it (mostly Tula steel case). Iadded a $30 red dot and a $30 laser from wally world as well as the hi point front grip handle. $400 total and it's a hoot to shoot. At 50 yds I get quarter size 3 shot groups from a sandbag. If you had to use it indoors it has no muzzle flash and very low report. 10x quieter than an AR. It's not a combat weapon designed to take on the zombies at 200 yds. I keep looking at the 9 or 40 to add to the collection. Nut'n'fancy has a video where he runs one (9mm) through an outdoor course. Worth a look.

I've heard nothing but terrible things about Hi-Point's pistol offerings and nothing but great things about their carbines. I was actually able to run one of their 9mm carbines recently and it ran like a champ. If I could find one locally at the price my friend paid ($290) for it, I'd jump on it right away.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Cheap, but heavy and difficult to clean. I think I would rather have a MechTech upper for a Glock or 1911 rather than a Hi-Point.

The CX4 is a better mad weapon and it will use mags for the 92F worth the price that is a judgement call you must make.
    9mm carbine is a fun to have not a need serves no real use other than to have it.
    The Hi point one has done ok so I would not be concerned about buying one.

Hi Point carbine

I owned the .40s&w version for a brief while. It is butt ugly. It shot decent enough but it's not fun to shoot or own like most say. It is hard to clean like a previous poster said. It felt cheap. And my .40 version held a dismal 10 rounds per mag. Not terribly fun to shoot, no real pride of ownership, cheap, not enough cap of stopping power for a HD gun, no real purpose at all really.

But if you REALLY have to buy a carbine and cannot go over $400 for some reason, the hi point is an option.

Like their pistols, Hi-Point makes an ugly carbine, too. Even if it's reliable and accurate, a great value for the money, I just can't see myself owning something so incredibly ugly and horrible when better alternatives exist.

When I decide I want a particular gun, I figure out how to pay for it. Then I go get it. So... Let's say you have $300 or whatever and now you can afford the Hi-Point carbine. Chance are you aren't surrounded by bad guys and need that gun right now. So wait a few days or weeks until you have $800 or so and then get a Bushmaster.
    DetChris likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

From my understanding the reason why Hi Point is able to keep the price on their weapons so low is due to materials that they use to manufacture them. And that is apparently also why they are heavier.

Kel tec makes a carbine that can be folded up and will take glock, sig, and beretta mags

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I've never owned a Hi-Point but have seen a couple at the range. They seemed to work fine. I have the Kel-Tec Sub-2000 carbine in .40 which uses my Glock magazines. It is stone cold reliable with any ammo I have tried and is surprisingly accurate out to about 75 yds! It folds to a very compact size as well.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I have one in 9mm and is is a ball to shoot. I stuck a red dot on it and it has been flawless. As to cleaning, as I recall the manufacturer recommends a good cleaning every 2000 rounds or so. For the money, it is a lot of fun.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

I am not a fan of the pistols mainly because of their lack of balance (top heavy) but their carbines just work to put it simply. Are there more elegant ones out there, you bet! The price is reflected in their styling and brand names. If you want a cheap plinker, the hi-point does just that. The mags are readily available and are inexpensive compared to the other platforms. No they're not the prettiest carbine out there but, then again, I carry a Glock. I have worked on a few H.P. carbines and the company has always sent the part out free when a serial number is supplied. Just my $0.02
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

VIP Member
    I have one of their 9mm carbines and like other have said, it's a rock solid rifle. It's not hyper accurate, so if you think you might want to put a scope on it and punch one inch groups, then I'd move on, because it won't do it. If you are looking for a range fun, cheap, carbine to play around with, then it's a good value for the money.

The big gripes I have are how much goes into taking it down to do a thorough cleaning and the magazine capacity. The only reliable mags are the factory 10 rounders, although that may have changed in the last year... I don't actually keep up with what's available for it, but I know when I purchased mine a few years ago, only the factory mags were reliable, so that's what I use. Also, I just open the bolt and run a patch or two down the barrel and call it good. It's never had problems even though I don't give it a loving, detailed cleaning...
    StormRhydr likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    I have the JHP and the C9 pistols, and both have been awesome. They are used for home defense only. They are just too big for me to carry! Homely too.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links