Future Project

This is a discussion on Future Project within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've fallen in love with the Beretta Externa II shotgun (and like most of the female loves of my life, it will end up costing ...

Thread: Future Project

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar

Future Project

I've fallen in love with the Beretta Externa II shotgun (and like most of the female loves of my life, it will end up costing me dearly) . The 12 round capacity, coupled with the sheer speed in which all 12 rounds can be fired (see the promotional video), it is certainly impressive. But, the shortest barrel length is 24 inches, much too long for a tactical weapon. I was thinking that I might get one, and then have a gunsmith cut the barrel down to 18 inches, and set this up was a real tactical weapon. Does anyone for see any problems? Other than the possibility of divorce for spending so much money.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Didnt Beretta make a that a tac shotgun a few years ago?, the 12p I think it is... I liked it a lot.

I have a 391 for birds, I really like that too.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Made by Beretta ?? 12 shot w/24" bbl ??

Thought that I knew all the Beretta's. Sorry sir,not familiar with that one.-----

Administrator
    OK, I found what I was thinking of, its based on the 1200.
    its not a 12 shot, that would be tough witha 18" bbl; but heres a link-

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/SH27-E.HTM

I know they made them a few years ago, a neighboring PD has them and Beretta sent me one for a demo- they were really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    I was thinking that I might get one, and then have a gunsmith cut the barrel down to 18 inches, and set this up was a real tactical weapon. Does anyone for see any problems?
    Do you have a problem with the extention tube being longer than the barrel? If no, then why not just have the bbl as long as the extention tube...if yes then you'll have to reduce your round count.
    seems like too nice of a gun to cut down and turn into a defensive weapon...besides being unique, what will you get from it? The speed? Isn't something like an 11-87 better suited for the task?
    Just a few genuine questions.

I personally think you are going to mess up a nice gun. In my opinion there are better shotguns out there better suited to your intended purpose that can pop off rounds just as fast, if not faster. Don't get me wrong, I think the extrema is a great gun, but I think there are better ways of obtaining a tactical shotgun than buying a perfectly good shotgun then start cutting metal off of it. I would personally recommend buying something that already has a short barrel, then adding on to it as you can afford it. You'll probably come out cheaper, and you can in effect have more then one shotgun if you buy other barrels and parts. I did something similar with one of my guns. It is a Benelli M2 tactical that I have a longer barrel for. So I use one shotgun for home defense, 3-gun, hunting, skeet and trap. Here is a link to a thread I started a while back. It has a pic of it in it's tactical wardrobe: http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=16753
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

For an 18" barrel, you can only have an 8-shot mag. More shots=longer mag tube, so 12 shots would put you at about 24"....
    If you're spending that money, go Benelli- parts are more available (very relative context), and the M3 (preban) will serve you in spades.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I wasn't sure about the mag tube, which is why I asked. It doesn't seem to go that far, but I may not be able to get it to 18inches. It maybe that I've only handles the longer barreled ones, around 28 inches.
    Yeah, cutting the barrel would be extreme. I just like the gun, but would prefer it shorter. It will be a while before I can afford the gun. So I may not do it. Just a thought. I figured that the majority would think I was nuts for just considering this, and they're probably right :)

Links