Mossberg Maverick 88 :/

This is a discussion on Mossberg Maverick 88 :/ within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So Yea, Wanted to get a tactical pump, and wife bought me a Maverick. I am a Remington man originally, and I have two friends ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Mossberg Maverick 88 :/

So Yea,
    Wanted to get a tactical pump, and wife bought me a Maverick. I am a Remington man originally, and I have two friends who dog on my Remington constantly, so I thought I'd give Mossberg a try. Well.........
    First time shooting had 3 Jams and 1 FTE which had to involve me taking the barrel off to get the shell out. To its credit after about 50 shells it started functioning normally. It's going to be a home defense shotgun so it's not going to see a lot of use, but I was entertaining the idea of getting the 500, 590, and 930, but now I'm having second thoughts. My Mossberg friend claims it's only because I got the Maverick, But I'm not sure. Any shotgun gurus out there that can weigh in on this?
    -Linny
    USMC 2009-2013 0341 Pfc-Cpl.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian
    My Blog http://renogunblog.blogspot.com/

I'm not a guru at all, but I believe that writing off a Mossberg 500 because you had a bad experience with a Maverick is like writing off a Lexus because your Toyota had issues.
    Alex_C likes this.

You get what you pay for. You got the Mossberg 500 econo-knockoff. Supposedly the only difference is that parts are sourced outside the US, but I have to wonder if the vastly lower price also includes indifferent assembly and attention to detail.

I'd run another 100 shells through it (which would equate to a good afternoon of dove shooting) and see how it fares. With luck, it'll just get slicker with more use.
    pgrass101 and Rock and Glock like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I love my 88. No problems whatsoever with about 70 rds shot through. Most of those shooting clay. Sounds like you got a lemon.

I've always heard the mav has been the best value SG you can get and 500's obviously are fantastic guns. i wouldn't write off a 500/590 because maybe you just got a lemon. I have a Mossberg but i'm mainly a Remington guy and i stick with my 870 tactical no matter what.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

Distinguished Member
    Got myself a maverick 88 couple of years ago on sale at Academy for $160. One of my better scores, its been a great shotgun for me and now serves as my HD shotgun. Put probably 200-250 rounds through it without a single issue. I did clean off the factory gunk before I took it out the first time, it came pretty greasy. Did you clean yours?
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

i also have the maverick 88. picked it up back quite a few years ago. and it works great for me.
    never had any issues at all. great shotgun IMO.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I purchased two Maverick 88 shottys for about $150 a piece a few years back. They have been nothing but great guns. One is my woods gun that rides shotgun in the truck and the other is a HD gun. Both have never given me a problem.

I've been shooting Mossberg 500/590's for years and have never had any issues with them.
    4-5 years ago, I picked up a 20g Maverick 88 for $120, while I didn't have any issues with function, I was disappointed with the fit/finish and stiff action. You really do get what you pay for.
    As a budget priced shotgun, the Maverick does what it is intended to do. If you are looking for something to stake your life on? Spend a few more $ and get a better shotgun.
    Just my 2-bits-worth.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

CSL
    I bought an 88 last year for home defense. I didn't want to spend a ton on a gun that would not see much use, but I still wanted something reliable. The 88 has fit the bill nicely. I have put probably 150 rds through it without issue. I did clean and oil it first, as I do with all guns I purchase. If you continue to have problems, call Mossberg. I wouldn't give up on the gun yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Bible thumpin', gun totin' Hoosier

Join the NRA

I started shooting Skeet with mine about two months ago. Putting 200-300 rounds per weekend through it. Haven't had any problems. I run a Bore Snake through it afterward, squirt some Remoil in the action, and wipe down the outside with Remoil.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Mossberg 500s are .mil approved and mine has been running like a champ ever since I got it home 5 years ago.

Don't write them off just yet.
    British by birth. American by choice.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    I love my 88. No problems whatsoever with about 70 rds shot through. Most of those shooting clay. Sounds like you got a lemon.

AMEN to that. I have 2 and both are flawless.

My Mossberg 500A has never given me a hiccup. I can't speak for the Mavericks though, I've never used one before. I will say that it seems unhappy owners are pretty rare, hopefully you can get your problems sorted out soon.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    My sons mavrick, had ejection problems at first too. I found that the sprayed on finish had some over spray in the chamber. I wraped some bronze wool around a cleaning brush, chucked it up in a drill, Oiled it well, and polished the chamber area. We have not had a problem since. One differance between the Mossberg and the Mavrick is the safety is located in the same place as a Remington. Our son now has a long hunting barrel, a 20" rifled slug barrel, and a short HD barrel. Two of the three had to be cleaned/polished that way. Im looking at buying two more for his brothers. DR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links